Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 07:08 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,887,124 times

Advertisements

Just stop it everyone, please.

I do not know why everyone makes some big deal over Miami and its Latino/Hispanic population; people act like they are moving to Mars or something.

I would understand this reaction if moving to a place that was really different, like India; but Miami is western, has western ideals, is American, and there is no culture shock like people think there is. it has the same stuff as every other place in the US, same rules, culture, customs; the Latino/Hispanic culture is not a deviation from western culture.

From my own experience; I have lived in Miami since 2010 and I have had zero issues here. The Spanish language thing is overblown; the Hispanic "look" is overblown in regards to how a non-Hispanic will be seen as; and the whole Miami scene being regarded as some special and foreign area within the US is overblown.

A person can have issues anywhere, even from their own racial/ethnic/culture group. I had more issues living in Tennessee because of the religious/Protestant based culture than anywhere else, where what church you go to (if you even go) defines someone's association with you (or lack of).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 07:34 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,727,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

I do not know why everyone makes some big deal over Miami and its Latino/Hispanic population; people act like they are moving to Mars or something.

I would understand this reaction if moving to a place that was really different, like India; but Miami is western, has western ideals, is American, and there is no culture shock like people think there is. it has the same stuff as every other place in the US, same rules, culture, customs; the Latino/Hispanic culture is not a deviation from western culture.

From my own experience; I have lived in Miami since 2010 and I have had zero issues here. The Spanish language thing is overblown; the Hispanic "look" is overblown in regards to how a non-Hispanic will be seen as; and the whole Miami scene being regarded as some special and foreign area within the US is overblown.

A person can have issues anywhere, even from their own racial/ethnic/culture group. I had more issues living in Tennessee because of the religious/Protestant based culture than anywhere else, where what church you go to (if you even go) defines someone's association with you (or lack of).
No one is making a big deal over Miami's Latin culture. I'm simply asking a question. I understand that Latin culture is western culture. Duh.
I live in broward county, so driving 30 mins down 95 is hardly culture-shock to me. I'm just interested in hearing how people of a non-Hispanic culture are viewed in Miami.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:38 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,755,142 times
I have been married twice, each to a white non Hispanic. First husband born in south Florida of Irish background and grew up when it was mostly in very american area, when of few old timers like me, remember when Hialeah was mostly white non Hispanic.

He gets along fine with all the Caribbean and Latin cultures here, even married a Jamaican girl second time around. His (our)children are a mix of Irish and Cuban and they grew up very much embracing both sides of who they are. My oldest married a peruvian girl and my grandson is a true mix, he is the one out of all of us that looks Latin.

My second and current husband is from Nebraska and has lived on and off Miami and Tampa for over twenty years. Since he is of German decent he really stands out here but he has learned to adapt to this city and while he has learned enough Spanish to work with the public, he some times get annoyed to be the only white non Hispanic guy around. Where we just purchased a new home in cutler bay he feels a bit more comfortable then he does in the middle of westchester.

If you come with a open mind and take it as adventure you will be fine. Although I don't look Latin at all I also am aware that culturally I am different the my Husband's family and when we visit them in rural north Carolina I embrace it as a break from what I am use to.

Last edited by Cubanchic; 05-31-2013 at 08:12 AM..

Old 05-31-2013, 07:41 AM

229 posts, read 535,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

Sadly, someone on here thought that Coral Springs was a culture shock. I wonder what they'd think of Miami. There still are people like this out there.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCounty View Post
Sadly, someone on here thought that Coral Springs was a culture shock. I wonder what they'd think of Miami. There still are people like this out there.
Coral Springs and culture shock? lol

Coral Springs is about as Americana as u can get. A wasteland of chain restaurants, strip malls, cookie-cutter suburban housing. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but who on earth would experience culture shock in Coral Springs? lolz, it's laughable.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:11 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,997,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Coral Springs and culture shock? lol

Coral Springs is about as Americana as u can get. A wasteland of chain restaurants, strip malls, cookie-cutter suburban housing. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but who on earth would experience culture shock in Coral Springs? lolz, it's laughable.
That's the same thing I thought about your initial post when you later said you live in Broward. But to be fair I also thought people would view me as a strange animal when I visited other parts of the state since don't look like the average white person from the south. The worst I have experienced is other hispanics talking to me in Spanish just like in Miami

Old 05-31-2013, 09:27 AM

229 posts, read 535,623 times
Here's that post...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestern gal View Post
I just moved here to Coral Springs 2 weeks ago, I too am shocked.
I have talked with a few locals who are moving out. Feels more like
we moved to a foriegn country. The majority is white? That is false,
like someone lied said. I came from the Northern Midwest so this is also a
culture shock to me. We also did research on here, unfortunately
it does not show photos of the kind of people whom live here.
The group of illegals that are hanging around the convenience
stores and homeless looking people walking Samples Road. This city is
far from being a slum, but I don't feel safe after dark here either.

But I will say, everyone has been nice to us since we have moved here.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCounty View Post
Here's that post...
Well, consider the source... "midwestern gal" lol.... from the northern mid-west..
Of course, seeing any person of color is shocking to her im sure.

She's probably from some rural podunk town in the mid-west and has had minimal exposure to anyone except white people. Poor thing. So naive.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:48 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,511,812 times
The ones i've met want no part of integration. They have no interest and will never have.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:37 AM

I wonder if there's ever been a case of a non-hispanic white family, having kids.....and those kids because they were raised in Miami...spoke Spanish...or adopted the Latin culture.

Anyonw know of this ever happening?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami