Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 02:38 PM

430 posts, read 1,650,472 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of people on here saying that Miami isn't tropical, that it is "Sub tropical" because it doesn't touch the "tropics" However that is not true, just because it doesnt touch the tropics doesnt mean its can't be tropical weather. By definition tropical is defined as "A tropical climate is a climate of the tropics. In the Köppen climate classification it is a non-arid climate in which all twelve months have mean temperatures above 18 °C (64 °F). Unlike the extra-tropics, where there are strong variations in day length and temperature, with season, tropical temperature remains relatively constant throughout the year and seasonal variations are dominated by precipitation."

Strange, when I research Climate of miami it says" Miami is classified as having a tropical monsoon climate (Köppen climate classification Am"

Tropical monsoon climate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Climate of Miami - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Everywhere I look the research suggest it's tropical , not sub tropical. Even most weather people will say it's a tropical climiate, Norther florida is more sub-tropical. Another thing is that just because it isnt in the tropics doesnt mean it cant qualify as "tropical weather". Is Southern California in the Meditarrean? No, does it have Meditarrean weather? Yes. Is Miami in the Tropics? No, does it have tropical weather? Yes. Just felt like bringing that up a lot of confusion seems to be about this topic for some reason..

Theirfore proving my point, MIAMI and south florida is IN FACT tropical, not "Sub tropical"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 03:00 PM

360 posts, read 1,908,867 times
I think anyone who's ever been down to Florida will agree it feels, and looks, quite tropical. I laughed at that chart though, I never knew you could even attach the word "tropical" to states such as Kentucky and Tennessee. Even north Georgia. Have you ever been up north in winter? I've never seen palm trees line Ohio, KY, and TN either.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:07 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FringedNFab View Post
I think anyone who's ever been down to Florida will agree it feels, and looks, quite tropical. I laughed at that chart though, I never knew you could even attach the word "tropical" to states such as Kentucky and Tennessee. Even north Georgia. Have you ever been up north in winter? I've never seen palm trees line Ohio, KY, and TN either.
That is the type of climate they are classfied as though. They are sub-tropical Summers are hot and humid, winters are cold but not "extremely" cold. The map is correct. Climate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This has be discussed a lot on here. I think most people know the classfications. There are just a few people who are very adamant in getting their point across about the "tropics" and just do not understand climate classfications.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:45 PM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,189,531 times
Thanks for clearing it up once and for all.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:23 PM

525 posts, read 760,495 times
The tropics are ONLY between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn. What you are saying is equivalent to taking up residence on the top of a mountain in the TEMPERATE ZONE United States, such as Mount Rainier and CLAIMING TO BE IN THE ARCTIC. You are only in a cold temperate zone place. It STILL is not the Arctic.

Miami is NOT tropical. It is NOT tropical. It is ONLY a SUBtropical TRANSITIONAL AREA BETWEEN the temperate zone zone and the tropics. Educate yourself.

Last edited by doggiebus; 04-29-2012 at 02:13 PM..

Old 04-29-2012, 01:36 PM

419 posts, read 998,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSantos View Post
The tropics are ONLY between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn. What you are saying is equivalent to taking up residence on the top of a mountain in the TEMPERATE ZONE United States, such as Mount Rainier and CLAIMING TO BE IN THE ARCTIC. You are only in a cold temperate zone place. It STILL is not the Arctic.

Miami is NOT tropical. It is NOT tropical. It is ONLY a SUBtropical TRANSITIONAL AREA BETWEEN the temperate zone zone and the tropics. Educate yourself.
You have no clue on what you are talking about. Miami is a tropical climate nobody is arguing that is in the tropics itself. Sub-tropical you have no idea what that is either do you? Sub-tropical means it has tropical/humidity in summers etc but it also has seasons (fall/winter), Miami/South Florida are a true tropical climate because it doesn't have seasons (fall/winter) as compared to many other places in the country. Your statement is equal to saying "Los Angeles does NOT have mediterranean climate, it can't be, it's not in the mediterranean!!!!", that is a very ignorant statement. Their is a difference of actually having a climate that is tropical , and actually being in the tropics, I don't think you understand the difference. I suppose every meteorologist , and data suggesting South Florida is in fact tropical CLIMATE, is wrong as well. Their is no denying it is not in tropics itself..Educate yourself.

Last edited by doggiebus; 04-29-2012 at 02:13 PM..

Old 04-29-2012, 01:39 PM

WRONG. Miami CAN'T have a tropical climate. It is NOT tropical. It is NOT tropical NOR does it have a tropical climate.

YOU probably never were to the REAL TROPICS. You don't know what a REAL tropical climate is.SCIENTISTS classify Miami as SUBTROPICAL- OR TRANSITIONAL.

Sorry buddy, Houston Texas has warm weather and an 80 degree sun angle BUT IT DOES NOT MNATCH THE TROPICS OR even Miami for that matter.

Look up Don from Manaus. He KNOWS the deal . Miami is NOT TROPICAL because of GLOBAL POSITION. It will NEVER have the feel, the sun intensity or tropical ambience.

It is NOT tropical. Plain and simple. EDUCATE YOURSELF. DON FROM MANAUS. LOOK HIM UP. HE LIVED IN BOTH PLACES.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:53 PM

419 posts, read 998,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSantos View Post
WRONG. Miami CAN'T have a tropical climate. It is NOT tropical. It is NOT tropical NOR does it have a tropical climate.

YOU probably never were to the REAL TROPICS. You don't know what a REAL tropical climate is.SCIENTISTS classify Miami as SUBTROPICAL- OR TRANSITIONAL.

Sorry buddy, Houston Texas has warm weather and an 80 degree sun angle BUT IT DOES NOT MNATCH THE TROPICS OR even Miami for that matter.

Look up Don from Manaus. He KNOWS the deal . Miami is NOT TROPICAL because of GLOBAL POSITION. It will NEVER have the feel, the sun intensity or tropical ambience.

It is NOT tropical. Plain and simple. EDUCATE YOURSELF. DON FROM MANAUS. LOOK HIM UP. HE LIVED IN BOTH PLACES.

Miami is classified as having a tropical monsoon climate (Köppen climate classification "

Köppen climate classification:tropical temperature remains relatively constant throughout the year and seasonal variations are dominated by precipitation."

Tropical monsoon climate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Climate of Miami - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I guess the researches suggests otherwise......

RickSantos, Educate yourself

Last edited by Surfside__; 04-29-2012 at 02:03 PM..

Old 04-29-2012, 02:09 PM

Look up DON FROM MANAUS . He lived in BOTH places. He knows the deal. Scientists classify Miami as SUBtropical or TRANSITIONAL. NOTHING MORE.

Koppen is OUTDATED and WRONG. Science has moved on. It is a work in progress.

The CONSENSUS TODAY is Miami is SUBtropical ONLY TRANSITIONAL. All the tropical horticulturalists know this.

JACK FISHER HIMSELF ( the HEAD OF FAIRCHILD - 30 YEARS EXPERIENCE) KNOWS THIS. DON FROM MANAUS KNOWS THIS.

TRY GROWING BREADFRUIT, AND EXTREMELY DELICATE AMAZON PALMS IF YOU FALSELY believe Miami has a tropical climate ........

You will SOON FIND OUT THE TRUTH.

SOUTH TEXAS IS THE SAME LATITUDE (26N) AND IT IS NOT considered tropical AT ALL.

Nature is what she is. Miami is NOT tropical.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:16 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,132,455 times
Rick,

You are correct. But it is a mute point, people don't understand or even care about the subtlties unless they are interested in climatology, botany, etc. It really isn't worth arguing about. A lot of people call Miami "tropical" because they are from areas with much colder climates and they do not distinguish the differences between Miami and a place like Panama City, especially because our weather is similar most of the year. But interestingly, according to the map that calls Miami tropical, West Palm Beach is subtropical and Miami is Tropical. I think most people would agree that both cities are virtually the same...hence the transition zone. Miami is a city on the suth border of the subtropical region. If people want to call it tropical that is fine, it doesn't change their perception or any of the facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami