Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 06:51 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canefandynasty View Post
Miami is pretty much the only city in the continental U.S. that has a tropical vibe to it. No other city in the continental U.S. has a tropical vibe as Miami...not even close.

Vegetation-wise, Miami looks alot more similar to unequivocally tropical areas than subtropical ones. Miami looks nothing like Tampa and other subtropical locations.

Miami's insects/bugs are far different from any subtropical location in the world. Miami has alot of colorful animals (typical of a tropical monsoon/rainforest climate). There are animals like chimpanzees in Miami that you won't find in a subtropical climate. Miami can grow like 99% of tropical plants to full maturation. The coconuts grown in Miami won't really look any different from the ones grown in San Juan, Puerto.

Miami is probably more tropical than even Honolulu, since Honolulu features a semi-arid climate that isn't really tropical.

Please, hon, Hawaii is tropical, but does have some arid areas in it. Ever been to Cabo or Turks and Caicos? Those places are both arid and tropical, so you post does not make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
It snows in Tanzania, but it is still considered Tropical
Snow in Tanzania...only in the mountains! Like Hawaii!

Old 07-05-2012, 08:20 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
It snows in Hawaii ONLY in the mountains! Florida has no mountains, it gets cold at sea level and snows there! It can have a tropical feel, but be in the subtropics, which it is. I never said Hawaii is better than Florida. I love Florida. But I am pointing out the simple facts: Hawaii is tropical and Florida is not. Just because you studied in a top university does not mean you studied this particular subject in school. If you did not, which I am guessing is the case, then you are not an expert about the climate of Florida. If you were an expert, you would know that DC is not subtropical.
I said I studied this stuff. I took classes about weather and climate as well as doing my own math and lab work about weather and climate for my degree in geography. I said I studied "this stuff".

You saying it snows in the mountains proves my point. Climate is NOT decided on location. It is only a factor. You do understand that the mountain where is snows does not have a tropical climate right? Check put the climate map Wholesale Nurseries by State, USDA hardiness zones map, Sunset climate zones map, what does it say for SOUTH Florida? Btw I am only talking about South Florida not the whole state. So let's get that straight first.

Second Washington D.C. Is certainly a subtropical climate and you stating it isn't shows you are certainly no expert or really don't have much knowledge in the subject at all. Hot humid summers with cool winters means subtropical. Washington, D.C. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Read the first sentence under climate.
http://www.rpdp.net/sciencetips_v3/i...orld-large.jpg
world climate map - Google Search

You want to talk about the simple "facts", yet you fail to prove your theory because that is what it is a theory. You give us no sources, no facts just that you think a place that gets cold once in a while can't be tropical. Well according to science and the maps I have given you the links for miami certainly is tropical. Continue to say it isn't whatever if that is what you enjoy doing have fun. At least I think I have placed enough info out there so I don't need to respond to your baseless theories of tropical or not anymore. You and the infamous "Ricksantos" should meet up sometime.

http://www.mrsalgado.org/Sheltered_G...d_Map_2010.jpg

Subtropical climate map: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ap_Cwa_Cfa.png

Please take note in how Miami is NOT highlighted as subtropical. Hmm wonder why?

Old 07-05-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I said I studied this stuff. I took classes about weather and climate as well as doing my own math and lab work about weather and climate for my degree in geography. I said I studied "this stuff".

You saying it snows in the mountains proves my point. Climate is NOT decided on location. It is only a factor. You do understand that the mountain where is snows does not have a tropical climate right? Check put the climate map Wholesale Nurseries by State, USDA hardiness zones map, Sunset climate zones map, what does it say for SOUTH Florida? Btw I am only talking about South Florida not the whole state. So let's get that straight first.

Second Washington D.C. Is certainly a subtropical climate and you stating it isn't shows you are certainly no expert or really don't have much knowledge in the subject at all. Hot humid summers with cool winters means subtropical. Washington, D.C. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Read the first sentence under climate.
http://www.rpdp.net/sciencetips_v3/i...orld-large.jpg
world climate map - Google Search

You want to talk about the simple "facts", yet you fail to prove your theory because that is what it is a theory. You give us no sources, no facts just that you think a place that gets cold once in a while can't be tropical. Well according to science and the maps I have given you the links for miami certainly is tropical. Continue to say it isn't whatever if that is what you enjoy doing have fun. At least I think I have placed enough info out there so I don't need to respond to your baseless theories of tropical or not anymore. You and the infamous "Ricksantos" should meet up sometime.

http://www.mrsalgado.org/Sheltered_G...d_Map_2010.jpg

Subtropical climate map: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ap_Cwa_Cfa.png

Please take note in how Miami is NOT highlighted as subtropical. Hmm wonder why?
I actually just friended Rick Santos. And under DC's wikipedia page, it says HUMID SUBTROPICAL CLIMATE, not subtropical. Not click on that climate and READ WHAT THE PAGE SAYS!!!!!It also points out on the map that SOUTH FLORIDA IS INDEED HUMID SUBTROPICAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for what I bolded in your quote, everyone knows that the tropics never get cold unless it is snowy on top of a mountain, dare I say it, an ELEVATED PLACE, in the tropics, which will get cold because it is so high up. When have you heard of any other "tropical" place getting an all-time low of 27 degrees (like Miami, though it isn't tropical) AT SEA LEVEL?? AND IT SNOWED TWICE IN SOUTH FLORIDA!!!!!!!!!!

Some places in South Florida also got even colder than Miami's record ow of 27 degrees!!! Tropical locations NEVER get that cold at sea level. Now, if it had been that cold on a mountain in Miami, perhaps you would be right, but since Florida is flat as a pancake there is no excuse. South Florida is not tropical, not even the Keys. Again, not bashing Florida, I like it, but I am stating the facts.

The highlighted red area is the tropics. Florida is not included in the tropics. I rest my case.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:31 PM

430 posts, read 1,650,950 times
Quote:
And under DC's wikipedia page, it says HUMID SUBTROPICAL CLIMATE, not subtropical.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt971x View Post
indeed. 'Tis true. Read the wikipedia definition of humid subtropical. It even says that subtropical and humid subtropical (AKA humid continental) are the same thing!!

Old 07-05-2012, 11:02 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times
Quote:
As for what I bolded in your quote, everyone knows that the tropics never get cold unless it is snowy on top of a mountain, dare I say it, an ELEVATED PLACE, in the tropics,
There is a difference though, between an elevated area and mountain tops.

In countries like Bolivia and Peru you don't need to be at the top of a mountain or at elevated areas to see cold deserts, Andean Glaciers, and Humid Antiplanos.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
There is a difference though, between an elevated area and mountain tops.

In countries like Bolivia and Peru you don't need to be at the top of a mountain or at elevated areas to see cold deserts, Andean Glaciers, and Humid Antiplanos.
That's true. I guess I meant a very elevated place, such as mountains.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:10 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times
There are cities that are not located on highlands yet have mild climate throughout the year.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:21 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
The math/science place Miami in a tropical climate do the math yourself. I imagine you know the equation.

Location does NOT decide climate it is a factor. The more and more you type the more I think you are Ricksantos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami