Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 12:35 PM

16 posts, read 15,150 times

Advertisements

I am of Puerto Rican background, but my ancestry is spanish and French. I have taken after my Norman French great grandfather, and look pretty much like a typical Anglo. Only my grandparents speak fluent Spanish, and I am noticeably not a "native" speaker. So my question is will I be considered an Anglo since I don't speak the language well, and look like a typical white American, or are there other PR's and Cubans in Miami that are also in my boat and do not speak Spanish. How are they generally viewed in Miami? Do you think people will give me an attitude when they find out I am Puerto Rican but do not speak Spanish. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited by doggiebus; 08-08-2011 at 02:39 PM..

Old 08-08-2011, 12:36 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,276,560 times
Yes

Old 08-08-2011, 12:40 PM

16 posts, read 15,150 times
Yes on which question?

Old 08-08-2011, 12:47 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,506,601 times
There are people just like yourself. I wouldn't worry to much.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:22 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,395,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
There are people just like yourself. I wouldn't worry to much.
This

Old 08-08-2011, 02:23 PM

683 posts, read 1,472,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG MOUTH View Post
I am of Puerto Rican background, but my ancestry is spanish and French. I have taken after my Norman French great grandfather, and look pretty much like a typical Gringo. Only my grandparents speak fluent Spanish, and I am noticeably not a "native" speaker. So my question is will I be considered a Gringo since I don't speak the language well, and look like a typical white American, or are there other PR's and Cubans in Miami that are also in my boat and do not speak Spanish. How are they generally viewed in Miami? Do you think people will give me an attitude when they find out I am Puerto Rican but do not speak Spanish. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
A typical gringo?

can you post a picture of what you think a typical gringo is? Daniel Craig look-Alike? http://www.solarnavigator.net/films_...ress_shirt.jpg maybe ??

only 1/6th of the U.S. population is a natural blonde, and of those blondes many are multiracial and have Asian, black, or Amerindian genes too.

I really do not like to say that word..gringo. It is derogatory and offensive. In south FL nobody uses that word.

Why don't you post a picture of you and we can help you better?

French people are all differents, spanish too. So when you say you are french and spanish that not helps.

Last edited by Edu983; 08-08-2011 at 02:40 PM..

Old 08-08-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
A typical gringo?

can you post a picture of what you think is a typical gringo?

I really do not like to say that word..gringo. it is derogatory and offensive. In south FL nobody uses that word.

Why don't you post a picture of you and we can help you better.

French people are all differents, spanish too.
what are you talking about? ive heard plenty of people use the word gringo.
and yes you will get flack for looking white but having a brown hair brown eyes. ive had it happen to me again and again. they think youre embarassed of your heritage. anyone whos saying otherwise is lying.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:37 PM

683 posts, read 1,472,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
what are you talking about? ive heard plenty of people use the word gringo.
and yes you will get flack for looking white but having a brown hair brown eyes. ive had it happen to me again and again. they think youre embarassed of your heritage. anyone whos saying otherwise is lying.
plenty of people use the word gringo??

maybe in other states where people of Mexican ancestry is present.

Nobody uses that word in South Florida..

well, maybe u.s. nationals of Mexican ancestry who live in SoFl, they love to use the word Gringo, and Latino.

Mexicans invented the word, green go, the U.S. soldiers where dressed in green and that phrase is what Mexicans used to expel them from the Mexican territories during the wars.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:40 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,506,601 times
Ok, I changed the term Gringo to Anglo in the OPs question, let's stick to the topic please as the term obviously offends some.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
plenty of people use the word gringo??

maybe in other states where people of Mexican ancestry is present.

Nobody uses that word in South Florida..

well, maybe u.s. nationals of Mexican ancestry who live in SoFl, they love to use the word Gringo, and Latino.

Mexicans invented the word, green go, the U.S. soldiers where dressed in green and that phrase is what Mexicans used to expel them from the Mexican territories during the wars.
ive heard people of cuban descent say to me 'you dont look totally gringo' whats your background?

its a widely known word now though. so its not like its isolated to any one spot in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: