Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 03:17 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
White and not native Spanish speaker = not hispanic. I have a friend who does speak Spanish but has blond hair and Nordic features because his dad is Swedish and mom is white Cuban. Born in Cuba and in my opinion is anglo hispanic. In my view, hispanic is a culture, not a race.
Whooaaa ... the second post by Tallrick which I agree with ... yes Hispanic is an ethnicity not a race .

Old 08-09-2011, 04:38 AM

4 posts, read 4,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG MOUTH View Post
I am of Puerto Rican background, but my ancestry is spanish and French. I have taken after my Norman French great grandfather, and look pretty much like a typical Anglo. Only my grandparents speak fluent Spanish, and I am noticeably not a "native" speaker. So my question is will I be considered an Anglo since I don't speak the language well, and look like a typical white American, or are there other PR's and Cubans in Miami that are also in my boat and do not speak Spanish. How are they generally viewed in Miami? Do you think people will give me an attitude when they find out I am Puerto Rican but do not speak Spanish. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

How the hell do you consider yourself Puerto Rican when neither you or your parents speak the language.

LOL

Americans... consider themselves 'italian' or 'cuban' or etc... and they never even been to italy or speak italian lol

joke

Old 08-09-2011, 05:06 AM

683 posts, read 1,469,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
cixcell I agree with you on this one ... I am a Hispanic looking white non Hispanic and I have gotten some flack for not speaking Spanish or being "ashamed of my heritage " ... lol .... always in Dade , but I have never had that happen to me in Broward and yes ... Edu must be living under a rock ( no pun intended ) as I hear the word Gringo all of the time and it is not intended to be offensive .. I have a Colombian friend in Coral Gables whose four sons were born in the US and he calls them my little "Gringos " .. so people need to butch up on this forum and not become so offended so easily .
Rock,

I am not a "gringo". I meant that I do not like to use that word to refer to someone that is from up north and of Nordic European Ethnicity. I've always think it is offensive, maybe it isn't.

Also, there are not many Anglo Saxons living in South Florida. The only people here that looks like Daniel Craig are probably the German and some British tourists who visit Dolphin Mall. And even the few Germans that live here are simply called Germans, not gringo.

Gringo is a word that is more related to origin nowadays. It now means "born/from the U.S". That is why your Colombian friend calls her children "gringuitos" because they were born here. If Michael Jordan visited South America, he would be called gringo too.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:20 AM

16 posts, read 15,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by washwash View Post
How the hell do you consider yourself Puerto Rican when neither you or your parents speak the language.

LOL

Americans... consider themselves 'italian' or 'cuban' or etc... and they never even been to italy or speak italian lol

joke
How the hell do Puerto Ricans consider themselves "AMerican". They don't speak the language, some have never been to the mainland, and yet they feel somehow more "American" because they were born citizens

I have Italian friends who have never been to Italy, but they have pure Italian ancestry. They are darker than your typical anglo-saxon, so people ask them what they are and they say Italian-American. What is wrong with that? There is a distinctly Italian-American culture, just as there would be a Nuyorican culture. Its not so difficult to see why many Americans retain some ethnic identity.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:23 AM

4 posts, read 4,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG MOUTH View Post

I have Italian friends who have never been to Italy, but they have pure Italian ancestry. They are darker than your typical anglo-saxon, so people ask them what they are and they say Italian-American. What is wrong with that? There is a distinctly Italian-American culture, just as there would be a Nuyorican culture. Its not so difficult to see why many Americans retain some ethnic identity.
This is the problem with Americans, they have parents or grandparents born in Germany, (or wherever)... then they say they are German. Sorry but growing up in a German neighborhood doesnt compare (not even close) to living in Frankfurt and speaking German.

You're about as German as someone from China.

Same goes for the guy who says he's Puerto Rican.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:37 AM

16 posts, read 15,092 times
There is a difference in cultural experience between a Mexican-American, a Korean-American, and an Italian-American. I never said Italians and Italian-Americans are the same. Do you want everyone to just ignore their different roots? That would be boring.

I will tell you the problem with foreigners. Most of the countries they come from are so jacked up, that they need to come to our country. Than they have the nerve to tell us what the "Problem with Americans" is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: