Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 03:42 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times

Advertisements

My Step Daughter is Hispanic, but does not speak any Spanish, and she is often treated very rudely by Hispanics who do speak Spanish. They will talk to her in Spanish, and she answers in English, states that she does not speak Spanish, and then she is often ignored.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:14 PM

16 posts, read 15,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
A typical gringo?

can you post a picture of what you think a typical gringo is? Daniel Craig look-Alike? http://www.solarnavigator.net/films_...ress_shirt.jpg maybe ??

only 1/6th of the U.S. population is a natural blonde, and of those blondes many are multiracial and have Asian, black, or Amerindian genes too.

I really do not like to say that word..gringo. It is derogatory and offensive. In south FL nobody uses that word.

Why don't you post a picture of you and we can help you better?

French people are all differents, spanish too. So when you say you are french and spanish that not helps.
I am not trying to convince you how non-Hispanic I look. And I am not blonde, I have brown hair and eyes. Hair and eye color mean nothing in regards to phenotype. I do not look mediterranean as do most white Hispanics. I know how I am perceived by people and it is always white non-hispanic. I live in Chicago where their are some Puerto Ricans and other Latin groups represented and they are always surprised when I tell them I am puerto Rican.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:54 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Puerto Rican is a nationality, not an ethnicity.

Puerto Rico was settled by many different groups.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:59 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

increasingly that is the case with most countries

Old 08-08-2011, 05:04 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
I like the Ricky Ricardo Hispanic look along with accent, "Lucy u got splainin ro do".

Old 08-08-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

Are you just trying to show how nit picky you are, or do you really think you are teaching me something? Or maybe just trying to show everyone how smart you are? If you would have bothered to read my initial post, you would have known that I already explained my ancestry was French and Spanish. So that is my ethnicity, obviously.

Besides lets face it, the average person on the street does not know much about anthropology. All they know is what "typical" Puerto Ricans look like. I am Puerto Rican so I think I know. Many of the ones in the U.S. have a tri-racial look. Many are mixed with Taino, Spanish, and African. This is very common and may even be said to be a uniquely Puerto Rican ethnicity. Can you find this exact ethnic combination in other places, not likely, at least not with Tainos.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:58 PM

"Are you just trying to show how nit picky you are"

I did not know stating facts was considered being nit picky. Nit picky would be correcting grammar mistakes in your post.

"or do you really think you are teaching me something?"

I have no idea what you know, so how can I know if I am teaching you something? You are the one here asking the question.

"If you would have bothered to read my initial post, you would have known that I already explained my ancestry was French and Spanish. So that is my ethnicity, obviously."

Are you French? Spanish? Puerto Rican? American? You are the one who seems confused about it, not me. You are the one asking the question, not me. If you know so much about it, why are you asking?

"Besides lets face it, the average person on the street does not know much about anthropology."

I could care less what the average person in the street in this low educated country knows. If the facts scares them or offends them, perhaps they should educate themselves more.

"All they know is what "typical" Puerto Ricans look like."

Obviously they do not. I do not live my life by catering to the ignorance of others.

"I am Puerto Rican so I think I know."

Are you from PR? Born and raised? Came over as a little kid? Ever even been there?

"This is very common and may even be said to be a uniquely Puerto Rican ethnicity."

No, it can not be said it is uniquely a Puerto Rican ethnicity. In that case, almost everyone in the world would be their own unique ethnicity. Luckily, logic and reason flows in such a way that merely mating with someone does not automatically produce a new ethnicity.

"Can you find this exact ethnic combination in other places, not likely, at least not with Tainos."

You can say the same about 100's of millions of people, heck, billions. In that case, I must be my own ethnicity due to my own not common set of recent ancestors.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:21 PM

My initial post is pretty clear, both about what I am and what I was asking. Your additional information about what constitutes a Puerto Rican was not needed and came off like you were trying to educate me, which is kind of rude, since as you said you don't know what I know.

And do you really think there are other places where the mixture of Taino, Spanish and Indian is common? Tell me smart one. What is an ethnicity to you? Is Italian an ethnicity? Because Italians are a combination of Etruscans, Romans, Normans, Greeks, Arabs, Lombards. The same can be said about any people. So tell me what is an ethnicity?

Old 08-08-2011, 06:31 PM

I am not going to go over anthropology 101 with you, MDC offers classes if you need it.

You state you are Puerto Rican, yet you say you do not look Puerto Rican, but then state Puerto Rican could be an ethnicity. Why not just say you are Spanish? French? A combination of both? American? Have you been in PR? Born there? Raised? What makes you Puerto Rican?

A little off topic, but this comes back to a question I once posted; Many Cuban-Americans call themselves just that, Cuban-American, Do Cubans in Cuba refer to themselves as Spanish-Cubans? (or whatever origin they deem themselves to be).

Old 08-08-2011, 06:57 PM

Nice try. You stepped into the discussion with your interesting anecdote about what constitutes an ethnic group. So by all means, Please enlighten us exactly as to what ethnicity means? Since I am extremely interested in anthropology I can't wait for your instruction.

And to spell it out for you, I am Puerto Rican American, Who happens to know some of my ancestries beyond puerto Rico. Many Europeans came to PR, F>>ed the Indians and African slaves and created the unique people we call Puerto Ricans. Some kept their European lineage intact, Like my great grandfather who was fully French. I, even though I have Spanish and possibly Taino, or African in my bloodline have inherited a Fully European(Northern French) look. Hope you get it now, Friendo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: