Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 03:15 PM

193 posts, read 371,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson View Post
Nah, it all depends on how Latin America moves. If it goes the good path and I hope they do, you will see Miami settling and becoming more americanized. It all depends on Latin America. I see it like the Midweast. When the german migration stopped the whole place gave birth to a lot of American rednecks. In a good way.
Also, the politics here might change. What if the Government stopped wet-foot/dry-foot for Cuban migrants, or cracked down on illegal immigration from Central/South America?

In 10-20 years people from South America will probably see S. Florida as a transition point where they can become acclimatized to living in the US before moving on to Northern Cities.

What happens if Spanish dies off? Many 3rd and 4th generation Latinos will not be speaking Spanish the majority of the time, even at home (my observation); it's the same for all immigrants.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:48 PM

433 posts, read 953,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelion View Post
Also, the politics here might change. What if the Government stopped wet-foot/dry-foot for Cuban migrants, or cracked down on illegal immigration from Central/South America?

In 10-20 years people from South America will probably see S. Florida as a transition point where they can become acclimatized to living in the US before moving on to Northern Cities.

What happens if Spanish dies off? Many 3rd and 4th generation Latinos will not be speaking Spanish the majority of the time, even at home (my observation); it's the same for all immigrants.
Of course, politics here plays a crucial role too. But, going back to history, the US has done nothing to prevent big migration waves. Just see Little Haiti. Haitians do not have any benefits at all in comparison to other political refugee groups coming to America, and the Haitian community is getting bigger every day. Five years ago I did not hear any Creole on the streets and now at least I hear it weekly. Cuban migration, well its complicated, Wet/Dry foot could be stopped but Cubans still will come to the US as political refugees just as thousands of Venezuelans are getting to El Doral.

And government cracking down on immigration in an effective way? I doubt it, to many lobbyists in Washington DC craving for those cheap wages, too many democrats craving for those votes. Sorry, I do not see it unless something huge happens. I mean something HUGE!

It all depends on Latin America. Fifteen to twenty years ago, no Argentinian or Venezuelan would have considered migrating to US but when the Argentina's economy collapsed and Mr. Chavez took power, Miami started to see another immigrant wave. Like it or no, Miami is for Latin Americans what New York was to Europeans, the first step to get into America. The good thing is we are getting more of those beautiful Brazilian ladies. Hmmmmm!

Old 05-06-2011, 04:51 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times
the venezuelans get my approval. doral kicks ass

Old 05-06-2011, 05:13 PM

911 posts, read 1,713,547 times
I'm going to try and be civil here.

That which is unacceptable today becomes acceptable in increments over time. As the populous becomes accustomed to a certain set of morays, some will push those limits. The more people push the limits the more it becomes acceptable. Only when it reaches a point that the population has finally had enough, will there be any change.

Let's take a simple analogy. You have a daughter and she goes out of the weekend. Her curfew is 11:00 pm. She comes in at 11:15 and nothing is said. She thinks now it's 11:15 so she pushes it to 11:30. If nothing is said, it's 11:45 next time.

If the city officials continue down the current path nothing will change for the better. People are moving out of Miami and businesses are not coming here for a reason. It's because Miami is not a pleasant place to live for more than a week and even then we've all seen many people who come here for simply a visit, and vow never to return again.

Miami lives off Miami Beach. If it wasn't for MB, Miami would really be in trouble. If Televsion didn't have hot bodies and south beach to enctice people, what positives aspects could they promote?

The fantasy of living here does not match the reality and until Miami becomes more palatable for whites, whites are going to leave the city leaving it to the Hispanics and blacks.

Even if they stopped immigration today, until the people of Miami want to change nothing will change.

I honestly don't believe all the whites who leave Miami are racists. We're in a new day and age today and all have to live as one. I also think the people who live here love Miami, myself included, the reason we are leaving is because of the way people act here.

Let's face it, Miami would be great and the best place to live in the USA if it was pleasant, affordable, safe and inviting to do so. Fact is, it's not for those who have lived in other cities and have another value system. Until that changes, I don't see Miami getting any better but worse.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:20 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
As the populous becomes accustomed to a certain set of morays

Old 05-06-2011, 06:19 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
I'm going to try and be civil here.

That which is unacceptable today becomes acceptable in increments over time. As the populous becomes accustomed to a certain set of morays, some will push those limits. The more people push the limits the more it becomes acceptable. Only when it reaches a point that the population has finally had enough, will there be any change.

Let's take a simple analogy. You have a daughter and she goes out of the weekend. Her curfew is 11:00 pm. She comes in at 11:15 and nothing is said. She thinks now it's 11:15 so she pushes it to 11:30. If nothing is said, it's 11:45 next time.

If the city officials continue down the current path nothing will change for the better. People are moving out of Miami and businesses are not coming here for a reason. It's because Miami is not a pleasant place to live for more than a week and even then we've all seen many people who come here for simply a visit, and vow never to return again.

Miami lives off Miami Beach. If it wasn't for MB, Miami would really be in trouble. If Televsion didn't have hot bodies and south beach to enctice people, what positives aspects could they promote?

The fantasy of living here does not match the reality and until Miami becomes more palatable for whites, whites are going to leave the city leaving it to the Hispanics and blacks.

Even if they stopped immigration today, until the people of Miami want to change nothing will change.

I honestly don't believe all the whites who leave Miami are racists. We're in a new day and age today and all have to live as one. I also think the people who live here love Miami, myself included, the reason we are leaving is because of the way people act here.

Let's face it, Miami would be great and the best place to live in the USA if it was pleasant, affordable, safe and inviting to do so. Fact is, it's not for those who have lived in other cities and have another value system. Until that changes, I don't see Miami getting any better but worse.
I disagree with you whole-heartedly, as both feed off each other, in fact many travel from Broward County to work in Miami. Miami Beach could not survive by itself as it would not have an airport or a Cruiseport, both sides of the bay are important to survive.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:20 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,898,756 times
I have only been to Miami and Miami beach once, as I read and gather and observe in my one visit, where did all the white people go? why is there a mass exodus?

no I have don't have nay racist intentions, but there aren't many white folks or they might be tourists

Old 05-06-2011, 06:41 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times
Many white people turn brown because of the sun (some get reddish), that makes the white population less visible. BTW, when I mean white I mean Nordic white as in cat-face, blonde white hair, blue eyes, and long neck.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:27 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
The future of Miami holds unprecedented growth and prosperity. The advantage of Miami IS the strong South America ties. Brazil is booming. Miami is gearing up for the opening of the Miami Options Exchange. This is a major step forward.

Transportation will continue to grow, albeit slowly. The gridlock can only go on for so long when there are also high fuel prices on the horizon. It will be extremely advantageous for Miami if fuel prices do indeed stay high. Connectivity for all is part of what fuels prosperity.

The housing boom was fantastic for Miami. We have about 50 years worth of growth (and more going on now) in just a few short years. That's unheard of.

Brickell will continue to be first in growth and quality of life, but Downtown will follow.

I'm not sure what all the race chatter is about. It's really irrelevant. And for the record, Hispanic people are white.

Overall the future of Miami is very bright. It has great business prospects, an ideal climate and ties to areas of high growth.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:22 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
ok so i went to lunch today and overheard another white american lady talking to the older american waitress (the only non-latino in the restaurant) telling her that she was done with miami and moving north to broward or palm beach. ive heard this story so many times before its normal. what id like to do though is speculate.

how do we see the future of miami unfolding? clearly the demographic is going to be almost completely latino/ caribbean black and southern black. we can accept that as fact.
its just going to be really odd that we'll have an american city where the primary demographic in the country will be an extreme minority. really odd.
its already odd that we have an american city where most of the residents dont consider themselves americans.

following the trend out, where do we see miami in 10 years and then 20 years?

will it be like puerto rico where there are no jobs and residents will have to move elsewhere to big cities? will cuba open up and industry bloom here supplying things to the island? will it become a latin detroit? will it be like dubai? a big city full of buildings with no residents due to no jobs?

hold back any anger you may have, hold back your racism.
the city is what it is. nothing is going to change it.

id be interested to discuss this and see where you guys think its heading. i would almost prefer if they made spanish an official language in miami just so we wouldnt have to argue about it anymore and it would force me to adapt and learn it.
White non Hispanics have been a minority here for long time and our job market is still ok by Florida standards. The Palmetto and I-95 still have horrible traffic The problem is really Forida, not Miami or Hispanics.

By the way I know plenty of white non Hispanics who would never relocate. They either grew up here or have been living here for decades. I guess those that wanted to leave already left. The ones that want to relocate are usually recent transplants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami