Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 06:18 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,701,194 times

Advertisements

So for all of you that think that Miami is a paradise and some of us are just haters....here it is.....Miami makes top 5 again....of the worse of course...way to go Magic City !

"The metro area with the most foreclosure filings (171,704) and fifth-highest rate (7.1%) last year is Miami, which ranks No. 2 on our list of Most Miserable Cities. The good weather and lack of a state income tax are the only things that kept Miami out of the top spot. In addition to housing problems (prices are down 50% over three years), corruption is off the charts, with 404 government officials convicted of crimes this decade in South Florida. Factor in violent crime rates among the worst in the country and long commutes, and it's easy to understand why Miami has steadily moved up our list, from No. 9 in 2009 to No. 6 last year to the runner-up spot this year."

America's Most Miserable Cities, 2011 - Yahoo! Real Estate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 06:57 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,649,057 times
You forgot to say that Miami has the number one cargo airport in USA territory and is in the top 10 list of cargo airports in the World, besides that is third if not second one in passengers traffic in USA.
Miami is very competitive to many otyher cities and areas in USA and in the World too.
Why you try to demonize Miami???????

Old 02-08-2011, 07:01 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,272,116 times
at least it leaves skilled job positions open because there is a constant cycling of people moving here and moving away when they get fed up with the place.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:06 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,329,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
So for all of you that think that Miami is a paradise and some of us are just haters....here it is.....Miami makes top 5 again....of the worse of course...way to go Magic City !

"The metro area with the most foreclosure filings (171,704) and fifth-highest rate (7.1%) last year is Miami, which ranks No. 2 on our list of Most Miserable Cities. The good weather and lack of a state income tax are the only things that kept Miami out of the top spot. In addition to housing problems (prices are down 50% over three years), corruption is off the charts, with 404 government officials convicted of crimes this decade in South Florida. Factor in violent crime rates among the worst in the country and long commutes, and it's easy to understand why Miami has steadily moved up our list, from No. 9 in 2009 to No. 6 last year to the runner-up spot this year."

America's Most Miserable Cities, 2011 - Yahoo! Real Estate
You forgot to mention to all the California lovers in this forum how California stood up under the analysis...

California cities take the next three spots: Merced (No. 3), Modesto (No. 4) and Sacramento (No. 5). Each has struggled with declining home prices, high unemployment and high crime rates, in addition to the problems all Californians face, like high sales and income taxes and service cuts to help close massive budget shortfalls.
The Golden State has never looked less golden. "If I even mention California, they throw me out of the office," says Ron Pollina, president of site selection firm Pollina Corporate Real Estate. "Every company hates California."

Miami has it's problems, but everything is relative...

Old 02-08-2011, 07:13 AM

221 posts, read 453,649 times
I live here and I am miserable. So it's true.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:24 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,272,116 times
all of my friends and relatives in california would agree california is in trouble but ive met alot more miserable people here. i never minded sales/income taxes in california because i could clearly see how they directly translated into services i benefited from. maybe its the numerous public places and overall quality of life that makes people stay even if all hell is breaking loose. people are more considerate towards each other. i just hate the traffic there, too much concrete, cold oceann and the climate is incompatible with my hobbies.

dude they had frickin ORCAS off the beach where i lived last week!

Old 02-08-2011, 07:26 AM

932 posts, read 1,178,915 times
Thanks for posting this. It should at least serve as a reminder to some that Miami is far from being any kind of paradise. What's the bet that we wouldn't be called "haters" for discussing the problems of other cities on that list? Think of Miami as a friend with a drinking problem. You can either try to help that friend get better by telling them straight, or you can refuse to acknowledge the problem as they do and actually drink with them.

Miami is a miserable place. You don't need to look at these surveys to figure it out. There are many angry, bitter and miserable people in Miami. The difference between them and miserable people in other cities is that people here tend to take it out on others a lot more, rather than look inwards. Just spending time in a car in Miami will give you thousands of examples of angry-ass people.

Miami has probably been this way for years, but the high unemployment, low paid jobs and the foreclosure crisis has made it worse. Any large city with little or no sense of community is also going to have problems in that sense. Until Miami can nurture a long-term sense of community and identity by improving education, cracking down on crime, fraud (mostly Medicare) that is blighting and tarnishing the city and reckless driving and investing in parks, mass transit, it won't improve anytime soon (and it certainly won't improve while so many people refuse to even acknowledge the problems).

Miami is probably great for those with either lots of money or for those who only live here for 3 months of the year, or even those who've always had a close circle of friends (born and raised here for example). Otherwise, this can be a lonely, harsh and abrasive place to live, even with a decent job and no money issues.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
all of my friends and relatives in california would agree california is in trouble but ive met alot more miserable people here. i never minded sales/income taxes in california because i could clearly see how they directly translated into services i benefited from. maybe its the numerous public places and overall quality of life that makes people stay even if all hell is breaking loose. people are more considerate towards each other. i just hate the traffic there, too much concrete, cold oceann and the climate is incompatible with my hobbies.

dude they had frickin ORCAS off the beach where i lived last week!
and the state is virtually bankrupt from all those wonderful services. and the cost of living on the west coast... homes cost a fortune...traffic from LA or Riverside makes Miami look like paradise...then of course, you have the fires and mudslides, which are a dream come true...but, wait it gets better...live through one major earthquake like the one that hit the Bay Area and you're ready to move to Cleveland. Oh, and speaking of Riverside, the warehouse capital of the world...ewie! Not all of California looks like La Jolla. Miami's not so bad in comparsion.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:35 AM

221 posts, read 453,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
Thanks for posting this. It should at least serve as a reminder to some that Miami is far from being any kind of paradise. What's the bet that we wouldn't be called "haters" for discussing the problems of other cities on that list? Think of Miami as a friend with a drinking problem. You can either try to help that friend get better by telling them straight, or you can refuse to acknowledge the problem as they do and actually drink with them.

Miami is a miserable place. You don't need to look at these surveys to figure it out. There are many angry, bitter and miserable people in Miami. The difference between them and miserable people in other cities is that people here tend to take it out on others a lot more, rather than look inwards. Just spending time in a car in Miami will give you thousands of examples of angry-ass people.

Miami has probably been this way for years, but the high unemployment, low paid jobs and the foreclosure crisis has made it worse. Any large city with little or no sense of community is also going to have problems in that sense. Until Miami can nurture a long-term sense of community and identity by improving education, cracking down on crime, fraud (mostly Medicare) that is blighting and tarnishing the city and reckless driving and investing in parks, mass transit, it won't improve anytime soon (and it certainly won't improve while so many people refuse to even acknowledge the problems).

Miami is probably great for those with either lots of money or for those who only live here for 3 months of the year, or even those who've always had a close circle of friends (born and raised here for example). Otherwise, this can be a lonely, harsh and abrasive place to live, even with a decent job and no money issues.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:35 AM

And let's not forget California's sexual offenders...they have enough to rival south Florida.

Quote:
John Albert Gardner III was formally sentenced Friday to life in prison without the chance of parole for the murder and rape of two teenage girls in northern San Diego County.
John Albert Gardner Iii - Sex offender John Albert Gardner III sentenced to life in prison - Los Angeles Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami