Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 09:18 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
an i doubt the people of memphis are walking around with big smiles on their faces thinking, "wow, we have the busiest cargo airport in the world".?

hhahahahahah
hahhahahahahhahah so true!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 09:35 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,699,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
And besides, who cares how much cargo goes through the airport? What does that have to do with a misery index? I doubt the people of Memphis are walking around with big smiles on their faces thinking, "Wow, we have the busiest cargo airport in the world".
One thing I saw interesting in the numbers posted above was the difference between "passengers" and "boardings". I notice that "passengers" is always about double "boardings" -- except for Miami where they are equal. Does anyone know the definition of "passengers" and "boardings"? Do the Miami numbers indicate that most of the passengers are only going one way?
I wasn't the one who brought up the airport issue. It was Angel, the real estate agent, who would profit if people think Miami is a paradise. To answer your question, “boarding” means actual passengers from Miami, travelers that start and end their trips in Miami. “Passengers” includes travelers that use MIA as a connecting airport, for example, people connecting through MIA from Jamaica or Brazil, heading to NYC.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:48 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
Thanks for posting this. It should at least serve as a reminder to some that Miami is far from being any kind of paradise. What's the bet that we wouldn't be called "haters" for discussing the problems of other cities on that list? Think of Miami as a friend with a drinking problem. You can either try to help that friend get better by telling them straight, or you can refuse to acknowledge the problem as they do and actually drink with them.

Miami is a miserable place. You don't need to look at these surveys to figure it out. There are many angry, bitter and miserable people in Miami. The difference between them and miserable people in other cities is that people here tend to take it out on others a lot more, rather than look inwards. Just spending time in a car in Miami will give you thousands of examples of angry-ass people.

Miami has probably been this way for years, but the high unemployment, low paid jobs and the foreclosure crisis has made it worse. Any large city with little or no sense of community is also going to have problems in that sense. Until Miami can nurture a long-term sense of community and identity by improving education, cracking down on crime, fraud (mostly Medicare) that is blighting and tarnishing the city and reckless driving and investing in parks, mass transit, it won't improve anytime soon (and it certainly won't improve while so many people refuse to even acknowledge the problems).

Miami is probably great for those with either lots of money or for those who only live here for 3 months of the year, or even those who've always had a close circle of friends (born and raised here for example). Otherwise, this can be a lonely, harsh and abrasive place to live, even with a decent job and no money issues.
Every last word is spot. on.

You have summed up why Miami is such a miserable place, precisely, exactly, accurately.

When I first moved here, I didn't understand why seeing as how we live in such a beautiful area. How could anyone be upset with all this natural beauty around? What is wrong with these people?!

The more they take their anger out on you, the more angry you find yourself getting. There's a lot of negativity in this city...too much and more than you'll find in many other places.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:50 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times
miamilife: have you even lived in california? i know lots of people who TALK about california but don't know much about living there other than what they read in the headlines. still the quality of life trumps miami. most people in the country would be perfectly happy living there. earthquakes really are nothing compared to hurricanes. ive been in northridge in 94 and wilma in 05 for comparison. i hated the traffic there but what i really miss is having lots of people you can have really deep intellectual conversations with regarding any subject under the sun and the hippie/conservationist/socially aware/altruistic bent. Also you know someone won't away with crime because law enforcement is so strict there so you feel like you can let your guard down.

how many of those people flying to miami are just coming here to hop on a cruise?

Old 02-08-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
People often seem to get that a miserable person doesn't have to be the depressed, self-pitying type. The way that a large # of people act towards others, with the rudeness, aggression, narcissism and the fact that so many people here live way above their means to try to maintain a celebrity wannabe lifestyle tells me that deep down, they're not only miserable, but also highly insecure. Such people project their misery outward by taking it out on others, or by spending money they don't have or trying to be like a celerity, rather than taking a long, hard look at themselves and how they choose to treat others.

Doesn't take a psychology major to figure that one out.
Again, spot on. Completely and totally accurate. What delights me to no end is when you try to tell people this, they insist that they are happy. No, happy people do not act like this.

How many times can I rep you?!! (And how do you make a comment when you rep someone? I can't figure that out. Well, I repped you once and if I can do it again, I will.)

Old 02-08-2011, 09:54 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,323,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
Every last word is spot. on.

You have summed up why Miami is such a miserable place, precisely, exactly, accurately.

When I first moved here, I didn't understand why seeing as how we live in such a beautiful area. How could anyone be upset with all this natural beauty around? What is wrong with these people?!

The more they take their anger out on you, the more angry you find yourself getting. There's a lot of negativity in this city...too much and more than you'll find in many other places.
Sadly, I believe your statement to be true. Just sifting through the posts in this forum supports your point fully. The vast majority of the posts are full of anger and negativity. Even in your post, you opened with "...Miami is such a miserable place".

Old 02-08-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
miamilife: have you even lived in california? i know lots of people who TALK about california but don't know much about living there other than what they read in the headlines. still the quality of life trumps miami. most people in the country would be perfectly happy living there. earthquakes really are nothing compared to hurricanes. ive been in northridge in 94 and wilma in 05 for comparison. i hated the traffic there but what i really miss is having lots of people you can have really deep intellectual conversations with regarding any subject under the sun and the hippie/conservationist/socially aware/altruistic bent. Also you know someone won't away with crime because law enforcement is so strict there so you feel like you can let your guard down.

how many of those people flying to miami are just coming here to hop on a cruise?
Yep...Newport Beach...superficial as ever a place I have ever seen...makes Miami seem down to earth. An Oakland CA, good Lord, now there is a place that is not fit for humans...

Old 02-08-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
Sadly, I believe your statement to be true. Just sifting through the posts in this forum supports your point fully. The vast majority of the posts are full of anger and negativity. Even in your post, you opened with "...Miami is such a miserable place".
Considering the title of this thread is about Miami being a miserable city, yes, I would include in what I post about Miami being a miserable place.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
Considering the title of this thread is about Miami being a miserable city, yes, I would include in what I post about Miami being a miserable place.
Why do some many people stay in such a miserable place with no jobs, no opportunity for the future, child predators, poor schools, and awful humid weather? I always wonder when I read posts in this forum what anchors a person to a place where they say there are no jobs, no future, no nice people and the threat of crime at every street corner? It almost seems unintellegent to stay in a place described that way? It defines rational reasoning. I am not saying you're not intelligent. But, it is a mystery how a place that is so awful and that offers no prospects for the future is able to keep so many unhappy people around? Why don't they leave? They clearly aren't staying for the jobs, or the nice people, or the good infrastructure. What is it that keeps them?

Old 02-08-2011, 10:12 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times
Do we have a miserable housing market now? Definitely! Foreclosures continue to pour in, and rental rates are shooting up for those of us that don't have 20% and a FICO of 750.

Does this make Miami a miserable city? Perhaps if you're an agent or if you went through a foreclosure (or if you read CD all day). However, even in this market the vast majority of homeowners (renters) still have jobs and are still paying their mortgage (rent). Maybe it's just runner's high hangover from the marathon, but I for one am not among the miserable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami