Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 07:08 PM

8 posts, read 13,117 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, as the title states I'm from Holland and I'd like to go to Miami for a couple of months next calender year. I have absolutely no idea where to look, but when googling I stumbled upon this forum so I thought I'd give it a try.

First I'll give you some info. I'm 18, graduated from high school in Holland, but not going to college yet this year. I'm working now, to make some money and not die of boredom. But I know I wont be able to keep it up for too long. So I'm thinking of going travelling to the USA, and Miami seems like a great city, has always been one of my faves for some reason (well obvious reasons actually).

But to get to the point, I don't know what I can do in Miami, I mean I must have something to do to meet people and keep me busy, like work. I don't know if it's possible/likely for a foreign guy to get a job in Miami. I also need a place to stay of course.
I speak English pretty fluently so language shouldn't be a problem. Money shouldn't either, I'm not really rich but I have some money to spend. I hope you can help me. All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 07:15 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,048,890 times
Hospitality industry in a hotel on Miami Beach sounds like your thing. Being Dutch, I'm sure that will give you an advantage. Have you checked with the Netherlands Consulate here to see if they have any job openings for you ? Moderator cut: English Only

Last edited by doggiebus; 10-05-2009 at 07:56 PM..

Old 10-05-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
Hospitality industry in a hotel on Miami Beach sounds like your thing. Being Dutch, I'm sure that will give you an advantage. Have you checked with the Netherlands Consulate here to see if they have any job openings for you ? Moderator cut: English Only
Thanks! I'll look it up. Moderator cut: Orphaned Thanks again.

Last edited by doggiebus; 10-05-2009 at 07:57 PM..

Old 10-06-2009, 06:02 AM

Any other suggestions are still welcome btw.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:11 AM

156 posts, read 252,443 times
Benzi

You might be able to land a job in Miami Beach, but what about "papers"?
If you visit Miami, you won't need a VISA, only your ESTA approval that yo can do through Internet, but you need a Work Visa to work there.
Remember also that salaries in Miami are very low.
Unless you live in Miami Beach, you'll need a car.
There's no serious public transportation, one option is a moped or scooter.
Dutch always go to Indonesia when they have some spare time, if you haven't been there, why don't you try Indonesia? Avoid Bali.

Last edited by Nosferatu; 10-06-2009 at 06:22 AM..

Old 10-06-2009, 08:49 PM

Hmmm yes I think you're right nosferatu. I looked for some jobs but it seems to be very hard to get one, especially since I'm foreign and have no experience. And Indonesia doesn't really attract me, I wanna go travelling but I don't wanna have to adjust too much culture wise. So outside Europe that leaves only the USA and Australia. And USA has my preference so yeah. But thanks anyway, I'll continue looking, maybe I'll find something to my satisfaction.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:16 AM

549 posts, read 1,665,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Benzi View Post
Hey guys, as the title states I'm from Holland and I'd like to go to Miami for a couple of months next calender year. I have absolutely no idea where to look, but when googling I stumbled upon this forum so I thought I'd give it a try.

First I'll give you some info. I'm 18, graduated from high school in Holland, but not going to college yet this year. I'm working now, to make some money and not die of boredom. But I know I wont be able to keep it up for too long. So I'm thinking of going travelling to the USA, and Miami seems like a great city, has always been one of my faves for some reason (well obvious reasons actually).

But to get to the point, I don't know what I can do in Miami, I mean I must have something to do to meet people and keep me busy, like work. I don't know if it's possible/likely for a foreign guy to get a job in Miami. I also need a place to stay of course.
I speak English pretty fluently so language shouldn't be a problem. Money shouldn't either, I'm not really rich but I have some money to spend. I hope you can help me. All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance
Over 60% of Miami is foreign born.

Of course you can get a job here (even withouth papers).

Old 10-08-2009, 08:59 PM

6 posts, read 66,064 times
Default INFO - South Beach, FL 33139

DJ Benzi,
Stumble no more .. I am here to assist -
Obviously at 18 yrs. of age without experiences your job search is fast food, restaurants as kitchen help, door greeter, grocery store stocker but with the economy so bad it may be impossible to find something meaningful not to mention you must have all your European work papers in order just to apply for a job. So .. with that said, if you want to chill out here on South Beach the most "affordable" spot for you to stay at in my opinion is at the CLAY HOTEL in the heart of South Beach on Washington and 14th. Steet right across the street from the CAMEO theater but you are only 18 yrs. of age so Miami, FL's age for drinking is 21 yrs. of age but there are a couple places you can go into but not drink but I do not know off hand the names of any of these kinds of establishments .. SO the Clay Hotel is a HOSTEL Internatial establishment and the rooms are shared with other roomates on bunk beds and there is a common kitchen for the guest to use and a common bathroom. OR . You can chose to be in your own room with your own Queen Size bed and TV for about 60.00 per night and as you will see on the attached website the nightly cost can go up to about $125.00 US dollars per night .. so go ahead and further your investigation at [URL="http://www.clayhotel.com"]www.clayhotel.com[/URL]. Good Luck!!

Quote:

Thanks in advance

Old 10-22-2009, 07:39 AM

Forgot to check this forum in a while... so sorry for my late response, but thank you very much jotaperro, this will definitely help me. I'll also keep the CLAY HOTEL as a first option.
And Eduardo 983, I know what you mean, but those 60% may be foreign born, but they do have the American nationality now (right? correct me if I'm wrong). With foreign I ment not having the American nationality.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:24 PM

549 posts, read 1,665,119 times
Quote:
Forgot to check this forum in a while... so sorry for my late response, but thank you very much jotaperro, this will definitely help me. I'll also keep the CLAY HOTEL as a first option.
And Eduardo 983, I know what you mean, but those 60% may be foreign born, but they do have the American nationality now (right? correct me if I'm wrong). With foreign I ment not having the American nationality.
You are western european, many employers would be glad to have you in their staff. Especially in bars, restaurants, and clubs (dj, waiter, barman, etc)
Papers is not a must in many places. The majority of employers cut costs by hiring undocumented residents. In your case, I totally welcome you. I would like to see more europeans living in south florida.
Good luck

Last edited by Eduardo983; 10-22-2009 at 10:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami