Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Miami: college, great job, leave Florida, renting, sublet.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:53 AM

464 posts, read 1,361,179 times

Advertisements

yea..thats the idea thats been bugging me lately. What if I just want to leave for a few months, to breathe...and then come back?

Is that crazy or what? Do you think Miami is not a good place to be; or do you think I can go away for a little while and then come back when things are better?

I feel crazy talking about this, I really do! i KNOW I should make my own decisions...but still, I'm just wondering what other people would do as well just to validate my idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 12:59 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,646,578 times
Sheesh, you sound really confused. Decisions like these can be difficult and scary all at once.

Yes is it ok. If you owned a residence in Miami and were going to do this, or if you would be leaving a really great job that you loved, it might be a different story. But since you rent, there is nothing wrong with pulling up the stakes and going somewhere else for a while. That is one of the advantages of renting and not being tied financially to a place. People do this all the time, like when they go away to college, go on a detail for their job, or just want a change of scenery.

Look at it this way. It might be an excellent opportunity for you to save up the money you need to have a better life in Miami if/when you do decide to come back. Think of it as an opportunity, not a sentence. A new door opening instead of one closing, because the door that is "closing" isn't going to be locked behind you. You can always go back and open it again when you want to.

Don't stress too hard. Do what your gut is telling you. Forget your heart and your head, go with your gut!

Old 05-23-2008, 02:02 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,481,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbaneAspects View Post
yea..thats the idea thats been bugging me lately. What if I just want to leave for a few months, to breathe...and then come back?

Is that crazy or what? Do you think Miami is not a good place to be; or do you think I can go away for a little while and then come back when things are better?

I feel crazy talking about this, I really do! i KNOW I should make my own decisions...but still, I'm just wondering what other people would do as well just to validate my idea.
I did that for years. I was a snowbird, per se. In October I would go South and I would go back north in July. Damn good way to live life I must say.

ya know what you do Urbane. Sublet and apt up North and sublet out your apt in MIA. Or do a home swap with somebody for a few months. Just google home excahnge or go to sublet.com.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:33 PM

464 posts, read 1,361,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
Sheesh, you sound really confused. Decisions like these can be difficult and scary all at once.

Yes is it ok. If you owned a residence in Miami and were going to do this, or if you would be leaving a really great job that you loved, it might be a different story. But since you rent, there is nothing wrong with pulling up the stakes and going somewhere else for a while. That is one of the advantages of renting and not being tied financially to a place. People do this all the time, like when they go away to college, go on a detail for their job, or just want a change of scenery.

Look at it this way. It might be an excellent opportunity for you to save up the money you need to have a better life in Miami if/when you do decide to come back. Think of it as an opportunity, not a sentence. A new door opening instead of one closing, because the door that is "closing" isn't going to be locked behind you. You can always go back and open it again when you want to.

Don't stress too hard. Do what your gut is telling you. Forget your heart and your head, go with your gut!
That is right..nothing's holding me back

Old 05-24-2008, 08:32 PM

227 posts, read 728,695 times
we did exactly that...left Miami for Buenos Aires two years ago. Thought we didn't want to come back to Miami. Returned back to the States with a new family addition, thought we still didn't want to go back to Miami...on to Chapel Hill NC (ick for us) San Antonio (which actually wasn't bad) and finally in Savannah, GA (ick again). We are now just awaiting an opportunity this year to get us back to Miami again. We simply needed a break after so many years to see that for us the pros outweigh the cons and we miss a tropical and international flavor especially since my husband is French and we're bringing up our daughter with three languages.

so leave if you must, it will clear your mind and perhaps you'll realize you really do miss it more than you might think .

Old 05-24-2008, 08:51 PM

845 posts, read 2,744,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphos View Post
we did exactly that...left Miami for Buenos Aires two years ago. Thought we didn't want to come back to Miami. Returned back to the States with a new family addition, thought we still didn't want to go back to Miami...on to Chapel Hill NC (ick for us) San Antonio (which actually wasn't bad) and finally in Savannah, GA (ick again). We are now just awaiting an opportunity this year to get us back to Miami again. We simply needed a break after so many years to see that for us the pros outweigh the cons and we miss a tropical and international flavor especially since my husband is French and we're bringing up our daughter with three languages.

so leave if you must, it will clear your mind and perhaps you'll realize you really do miss it more than you might think .
I agree. I left Florida about 3 years ago to get a breather from the state. I grew up there and wanted to leave to see what life would be like somewhere else. I didnt really have any intention of returning to Florida. Now that I have lived in other parts of the country I have a new appreciation for Florida and want to return. I would never have felt this way if I hadn't left. I think it's a great idea to leave for a year or two to get a different perspective on the state. You might find that the grass is definitely not greener on the other side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami