Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 09:44 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Feel free to point me to this "culture" that you obviously believe Montgomery County has. LOL

I'll wait.
Nobody seems to understand what's meant by "identity."

Boston, New York and Philadelphia have well-defined identities. Their reputations precede them and most people will have a good idea of not only general characteristics of these cities but an idea of what the people in these cities are actually like. In Philadelphia, for example, that could be anything from its historically WASPy aristocracy along its Main Line suburbs to boxing to the South Philly mafia. Similarly, Boston may conjure up images of Brahmins or tightly knit, working-class Irish American towns and neighborhoods. When one thinks of the Bay Area, hippies and socially progressive movements generally come to mind.

Montgomery County has nothing like that. If anything, the region is only known for being home to a lot of government workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
In fact, the old money communities in and around Chevy-Chase/Bethesda feel as Marylandish to me as any older established community say in northern Baltimore City.
Out of curiosity, what are the "old money" communities in Montgomery County? I've heard of old money in the Boston area, in Westchester County, NY, along the Philadelphia Main Line, in Charleston, etc.

Old Philadelphians - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Boston Brahmin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

New York City – The Artistocracy Of Old New York

Old 02-15-2015, 10:42 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Well I will say Moco has pockets of jewish culture in small enclaves I'm jewish myself and there's a small Kosher style deli in Silver Spring and numerous other places in Moco.
This is true. There used to be a larger Jewish presence in certain parts of PG County, especially Laurel. Some of them have relocated to MoCo afaik.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
I do agree that MD does have an interesting and somewhat unique culture and identity that folks not originally from this region, living in a non-nondescript suburban cul de sac somewhere in-between Baltimore and Washington would probably never pick up on. However, as much as MD and VA are compared to as "sister states" in terms of geography, demographics, and suburban political power and influence, I find that much of the state gravitates closer to Pennsylvania and Delaware more so than anywhere else. I think we often forget how much of the nothern Baltimore-area suburbs (Carroll, Baltimore, Harford, even parts of Frederick Co.) are more geared in identity and general commuting patterns to York, Adams, and Lancaster counties.

Individuals who are arguing that Montgomery Co. in particular lack some sort of true MD identity, I respectfully disagree with that assertion. In fact, the old money communities in and around Chevy-Chase/Bethesda feel as Marylandish to me as any older established community say in northern Baltimore City. In fact, as one poster has stated, the established African-American communities in and around DC feels as part of MD in terms as culture and identity just as the established Jewish community in and around Silver Spring. However, like I said I don't expect the average Joe living in Crofton or Germantown, originally from Michigan to pick up on any of that so called MD culture.
Wish I can rep this more than once.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:31 AM

2,188 posts, read 2,684,340 times
The people who say MoCo doesn't have an identity clearly don't spend time in the area. Takoma Park doesn't have an identity? Potomac doesn't have an identity? Downtown Silver Spring doesn't have an identity? Wheaton doesn't have an identity? Chevy Chase doesn't have an identity? Kemp Mill doesn't have an identity? You've got to be kidding me.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:07 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,417,247 times
Interesting discussion! I'm going to read everyone's input. Thanks!

Old 02-15-2015, 02:01 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
When I think of MD's "identity" I think of stuff related to the Bay: the Chesapeake, Crab Cakes/seafood, Old Bay seasoning, the ocean. It definitely doesn't catch all of the state's identity, but it's what comes to mind. Pretty unique, and definitely gives the state an identity. People get caught up in the large amount of suburbia in MoCo etc., but many portions of those places (esp. places like Bethesda, Chevy Chase,etc.) as has been mentioned, definitely have solid culture.

In terms of "Identity" though (as opposed to culture), like I said, I think of stuff related to the Bay.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
When I think of MD's "identity" I think of stuff related to the Bay: the Chesapeake, Crab Cakes/seafood, Old Bay seasoning, the ocean. It definitely doesn't catch all of the state's identity, but it's what comes to mind. Pretty unique, and definitely gives the state an identity. People get caught up in the large amount of suburbia in MoCo etc., but many portions of those places (esp. places like Bethesda, Chevy Chase,etc.) as has been mentioned, definitely have solid culture.

In terms of "Identity" though (as opposed to culture), like I said, I think of stuff related to the Bay.
What is the culture of Chevy Chase and Bethesda? Also, what identity does Montgomery County have? Five Guys? No one's been able to answer that question so far.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:36 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,684,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What is the culture of Chevy Chase and Bethesda? Also, what identity does Montgomery County have? Five Guys? No one's been able to answer that question so far.
...because MoCo doesn't have a singular identify, of course. I don't understand if you're joking or honestly think a place with a million people should have 1 identity. As I already noted, there are a number of MoCo neighborhoods that have very distinct and well-defined identities. MoCo isn't a homogenous or small place; pretending like it should have a single identity is beyond nonsensical.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
The people who say MoCo doesn't have an identity clearly don't spend time in the area. Takoma Park doesn't have an identity? Potomac doesn't have an identity? Downtown Silver Spring doesn't have an identity? Wheaton doesn't have an identity? Chevy Chase doesn't have an identity? Kemp Mill doesn't have an identity? You've got to be kidding me.
+2 Thank you! It's the same thing with PG too. I've already touched on the multi-faceted identity of the Black population, so I'm gonna point out the County's neighborhoods.

These come to mind with their own identities:

Mount Rainier
City of Hyattsville
Laurel
Greenbelt
Bowie
Fort Washington
College Park
New Carrollton
Riverdale Park
Cottage City
Colmar Manor
Upper Marlboro
Lanham
Bladensburg
Chillum
Langley Park
Adelphi
Suitland
Temple Hills
Mitchelleville
Brentwood
East Brentwood
Eagle Harbor
Edmonston
Berwyn Heights
Glenarden
Morningside
University Park
Woodmore
Oxon Hill
Beltsville
Fairmount Heights
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland