Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 02:25 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times

Advertisements

Maryland outside of DC has culture. Maryland inside the Beltway and near DC is about as boring, bland, and putrid as it gets culture-wise. Especially the morons that infest Montgomery County. I've never witnessed such a large collection of mindless drones in any town, city, state, or country i've visited on this planet (many!). The funny thing is, they think living in MoCo is something to brag about. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 03:22 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,691,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Maryland outside of DC has culture. Maryland inside the Beltway and near DC is about as boring, bland, and putrid as it gets culture-wise. Especially the morons that infest Montgomery County. I've never witnessed such a large collection of mindless drones in any town, city, state, or country i've visited on this planet (many!). The funny thing is, they think living in MoCo is something to brag about. LOL
troll much?

Old 02-13-2015, 03:51 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,217,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
troll much?
Could be OCD since that poster always got a thing against MoCo, the DC region part of Maryland, and practically the entire state in general. And yet s/he's still here....

Old 02-14-2015, 09:52 AM

2,597 posts, read 4,660,594 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Jump me for what? I've done nothing..... I was defending Maryland.

So you're going to beat a women?
nah..your good

Old 02-14-2015, 10:14 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,352,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
nah..your good
Oh you meant jump BajanYankee? My bad.

I'm fine with that and many other posters too.

Old 02-14-2015, 02:08 PM

386 posts, read 655,818 times
Its not true at all. You just see alot of transplants here so many think we copy other identities when the truth is we have a native/endemic culture and then a whole mess of transplanted cultures. One could say we are more cultural then alot of America.

Old 02-14-2015, 03:02 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
troll much?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Could be OCD since that poster always got a thing against MoCo, the DC region part of Maryland, and practically the entire state in general. And yet s/he's still here....
Feel free to point me to this "culture" that you obviously believe Montgomery County has. LOL

I'll wait.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:52 PM

386 posts, read 655,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Some of us have no choice but to live here. While i do think as malicously about moco as aero does but moco and east hoco (and the mcmansions in western) do have a bland stuck up feel. Its a transient population that seems to only be here for jobs. Does that encompass all people in these counties? No, but it does for a good majority.

After 31 years of living in hoco and some of those split in moco with my mom i can say this with 100% certainty. There are obviously exceptions and small pockets where this may not apply as much but for the most part its true And extends technically from baltimore to richmond.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:33 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,741,099 times
I do agree that MD does have an interesting and somewhat unique culture and identity that folks not originally from this region, living in a non-nondescript suburban cul de sac somewhere in-between Baltimore and Washington would probably never pick up on. However, as much as MD and VA are compared to as "sister states" in terms of geography, demographics, and suburban political power and influence, I find that much of the state gravitates closer to Pennsylvania and Delaware more so than anywhere else. I think we often forget how much of the nothern Baltimore-area suburbs (Carroll, Baltimore, Harford, even parts of Frederick Co.) are more geared in identity and general commuting patterns to York, Adams, and Lancaster counties.

Individuals who are arguing that Montgomery Co. in particular lack some sort of true MD identity, I respectfully disagree with that assertion. In fact, the old money communities in and around Chevy-Chase/Bethesda feel as Marylandish to me as any older established community say in northern Baltimore City. In fact, as one poster has stated, the established African-American communities in and around DC feels as part of MD in terms as culture and identity just as the established Jewish community in and around Silver Spring. However, like I said I don't expect the average Joe living in Crofton or Germantown, originally from Michigan to pick up on any of that so called MD culture.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:10 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,352,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Feel free to point me to this "culture" that you obviously believe Montgomery County has. LOL

I'll wait.
Well I will say Moco has pockets of jewish culture in small enclaves I'm jewish myself and there's a small Kosher style deli in Silver Spring and numerous other places in Moco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland