Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 10:16 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,243,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post
What part of Virginia does Maryland "rest upon"? Does anyone around here own a map or an atlas?Completely different worlds. Baltimore is not D.C. Annapolis is it's own animal too. They are all culturally distinct. Obviously this adds to the confusion, doubly so for outsiders such as yourself, and is the whole reason so many threads like this get created.
I was a little baffled by that one too....Both states are seperate by river. Depending on where in the Maryland Suburbs of DC and Southern Maryland you live, can't get to VA unless you you take Metro or drive through DC and/or across a bridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 11:55 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,034,926 times
Quote:
As an outsider who lives in Maryland, it is my observation that Maryland has distinct parts (Eastern Shore, Western Maryland, Southern Maryland, and Central Maryland) that are alike within themselves, but as a whole, no, I do not see a unifying Maryland identity. Each part is most like its neighboring State than another part of Maryland.
I’d agree with that...several regional areas that may have their own characteristics -- but no one unifying identity.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:38 PM

386 posts, read 657,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post
What part of Virginia does Maryland "rest upon"? Does anyone around here own a map or an atlas?Completely different worlds. Baltimore is not D.C. Annapolis is it's own animal too. They are all culturally distinct. Obviously this adds to the confusion, doubly so for outsiders such as yourself, and is the whole reason so many threads like this get created.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
I was a little baffled by that one too....Both states are seperate by river. Depending on where in the Maryland Suburbs of DC and Southern Maryland you live, can't get to VA unless you you take Metro or drive through DC and/or across a bridge.
Western Maryland, WV and NW Virginia share Appalachian culture. Central Maryland and NOVA (i95 from RVA to Baltimore) share metropolitan/suburban/semi urban like culture. Southern Maryland and Eastern Virginia share a tidewater culture. Last but not least Delmarva shares Eastern shore culture from Kent countys in both DE and MD down to the end of Virginia.

Having grown up in and around MD, VA, southern DE and eastern WV I can say without a doubt these states share strong cultural ties. Extreme southwest PA share some similarities with extreme western MD and WV too. IMHO MD, WV, VA and southern DE should all have been 1 state or at the very least broken into the 4 cultural sections I mentioned above.

Fathers side lives in and around the Blueridge mountains on the MD and VA line. My late great grandparents and Aunts farm backs up to the potomac where she/they used to sit out and watch the river and VA all day. Moms side is straight up southern MD tidewater making me 2nd generation pronouncing my "R" and saying coins instead of CO - INs.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:43 AM

27,719 posts, read 28,837,641 times
Every state in America has parts that share similarities with neighboring states. Nothing surprising about that at all.

The fact that Maryland has so many distinct parts only adds to the richness and variety of the state.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:29 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,454,667 times
The cultural identity of Maryland is complex at best. There are so many variables to consider.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:29 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,243,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Every state in America has parts that share similarities with neighboring states. Nothing surprising about that at all.

The fact that Maryland has so many distinct parts only adds to the richness and variety of the state.
Exactly, don't know why this escapes some people on this thread. As I said before, this isn't even strictly a Maryland thing. At all.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:22 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,968,636 times
I am going to eat a crab cake and watch a John Waters movie and contemplate the OP question further.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:43 PM

7,094 posts, read 11,393,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Exactly, don't know why this escapes some people on this thread. As I said before, this isn't even strictly a Maryland thing. At all.
Part of the difference is the size and shape of the state. Many states have distinct regions, but the number of regions, small size, and very narrow (in many places) shape of the state tends to make it easier for people in most parts of MD to shop, work, recreate, and relate to a neighboring state more than the rest of our own.

I mean, what is the "heart of MD?" My answer would be Annapolis.....but even still, you are just one county away from a border with PA. Contrast with most other states, even east coast ones, where you can be so deep inside a state, you can drive for hours without hitting a bordering state. That doesn't exist in MD, and I do think it makes a difference in how natives perceive both our own regions, and Maryland as a whole.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:14 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,454,667 times
"Western Maryland, WV and NW Virginia share Appalachian culture."

*This can affectionately be considered Hillbilly culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_s View Post
Western Maryland, WV and NW Virginia share Appalachian culture. Central Maryland and NOVA (i95 from RVA to Baltimore) share metropolitan/suburban/semi urban like culture. Southern Maryland and Eastern Virginia share a tidewater culture. Last but not least Delmarva shares Eastern shore culture from Kent countys in both DE and MD down to the end of Virginia.

Having grown up in and around MD, VA, southern DE and eastern WV I can say without a doubt these states share strong cultural ties. Extreme southwest PA share some similarities with extreme western MD and WV too. IMHO MD, WV, VA and southern DE should all have been 1 state or at the very least broken into the 4 cultural sections I mentioned above.

Fathers side lives in and around the Blueridge mountains on the MD and VA line. My late great grandparents and Aunts farm backs up to the potomac where she/they used to sit out and watch the river and VA all day. Moms side is straight up southern MD tidewater making me 2nd generation pronouncing my "R" and saying coins instead of CO - INs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland