Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2024, 02:25 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,651,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Yes, I bought a steel building kit. A 60-foot by 40-foot rectangle with a nearly flat roof. originally marketed to be an airplane hangar.

About one-quarter of the price of a woodstick framed building.
Not to get to far off the post but have you looked at the "Prefab stick built homes" , I've heard nothing but good about these homes.

https://downeast.com/home-and-garden...homes-we-love/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2024, 08:41 AM

37,450 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Not to get to far off the post but have you looked at the "Prefab stick built homes" , I've heard nothing but good about these homes.

https://downeast.com/home-and-garden...homes-we-love/
Yes, I have seen them.

Looking at the website you posted, omg look at those prices. 16X what I paid.

I know that prices have gone up a lot since I built our house, but 16X is a lot of increase.

Old 02-14-2024, 07:27 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,693,044 times
Quote:
Yes, I have seen them.

Looking at the website you posted, omg look at those prices. 16X what I paid.

I know that prices have gone up a lot since I built our house, but 16X is a lot of increase.
Yes, those are beautiful But anything featured in Downeast Magazine is too expensive for me!

Old 02-15-2024, 07:07 PM

604 posts, read 623,055 times
Quote:
Yes, I bought a steel building kit. A 60-foot by 40-foot rectangle with a nearly flat roof. originally marketed to be an airplane hangar.

About one-quarter of the price of a woodstick framed building.

How does one make a steel hangar cozy and home-like? Care to share some photos?

Old 02-15-2024, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
It's taking you two years to find a house in Maine, maybe the problem isn't Maine and new laws , maybe it you and your expectations, just a thought.

Hmm . . . I've been looking for a house in Maine for 5 years. I've pretty much given up. It became clear that I would have to buy land and build a house, and I can't really face that. I should have acted before the pandemic but it just wasn't the right time for me. By the time I was more ready, there were no houses on the market like what I'm looking for. I'm watching a long-held dream dissolve.

Old 02-15-2024, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Standing View Post
How does one make a steel hangar cozy and home-like? Care to share some photos?
At one time I was sharing a bunch of photos. Then that PC died, now I have a new PC and have lost those photos. Maybe this summer I will take a new round of photos.

Hmm, Steel building. I sprayed 2 inches of spray-on urethane foam on the inside, then I hung 9 inches of fiberglass batting and covered it with a light wood grain paneling and dark trim. Our accessories are mostly in black wrought iron. We have a lot of large windows 6' wide by 3' tall, we have thirteen big windows and spaced between them small opening windows 3' by 3'. Our ceiling is the original height or 12' to 14' high [I like high ceilings after 20 years on subs]

In the center of our home, we have a sunken living room. It is 12' by 12', steps going down in each corner. Four bench seats each 8' long, the floor of the sunken living room, and the seats, and the seat backs are all radiant heated from our primary woodstove. In the center of the sunken living room, I originally plumbed it for gas. But then delayed by 15 years before I got-round-to-it to install an open hearth fire pit in the sunken living room 2 years ago.

We have two woodstoves. One big un, a 2 barrel Vogelzang, in the upper drum is 50' of 5/8" copper tubing coils that circulate heated water. That heated water circulates to a thermal bank in the basement, which then circulates through the entire floor radiant system. Our entire floor is heated, along with an exotic towel rack [built big enough to take our jackets also, what I forgot was to make the heated towel rack also accept my boots].

We also have a 'Kitchen Queen' cookstove. It has a fairly big oven and a monster big cooktop. It has the ability to heat water plumbed to a faucet, but its water tank can not be pressurized.

The only interior walls we have made are around the bathroom.

In the early 1990s, we were in Washington state and the local hardware outlet had 3/4" Mahogany plywood. I knew it would make a great kitchen work table. So I put 4X4s under it as legs and another piece of plywood under it to support it from sagging. We have had this table with us through four homes. My Dw has butchered on it many times, it can easily support one side of a 700-pound pork at a time.

Old 02-16-2024, 07:49 AM

Thanks for the house tour, Submariner. Sounds like you could play pickleball in your house. Would love to see photos when you get a chance.

Old 02-16-2024, 01:43 PM

Submariner, have you ever calculated your annual energy savings compared to conventional energy use?

Old 02-16-2024, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Standing View Post
Submariner, have you ever calculated your annual energy savings compared to conventional energy use?
No.

Old 02-16-2024, 02:34 PM

I built a solar thermal array using German-made thermal collector panels. But when I attempted to fill the system with water it blew out a bunch of the internal connections. Our solar thermal array is rated at 200kBtu.

I lost the motivation to fix it. Someday I need to disassemble each panel and re-solder the connections. It will likely be an all-summer project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine