Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2024, 06:15 AM

59 posts, read 112,641 times

Advertisements

Great info and conversation. I'm surprised no one mentioned the EV mandates and soaring energy costs. The person who asked me to say how Mainers are suffering maybe isn't paying their own heating bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2024, 08:28 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchessLyratheKind View Post
Great info and conversation. I'm surprised no one mentioned the EV mandates and soaring energy costs. The person who asked me to say how Mainers are suffering maybe isn't paying their own heating bills.
It's taking you two years to find a house in Maine, maybe the problem isn't Maine and new laws , maybe it you and your expectations, just a thought.

Old 02-11-2024, 12:52 PM

6,568 posts, read 6,732,860 times
Quote:
Thank you for weighing in. I appreciate what you're saying and that's exactly my approach, but I also hope to meet folks who are like-minded. I left Vermont and won't go back because of the hard left turn/policies and liberals shaming anyone who doesn't agree with their beliefs. It used to be more balanced. And I wouldn't want to live in California, WA or OR, despite there being plenty of areas that are more balanced even conservative, but who suffer at the hands of the liberal policies.

My concern is that the left leaning policies in Maine are, in fact, not representative of what most Mainers believe/want for their state and this will only get worse.
All three northern New England states have changed over the last 20 years. More people. More crime. More congestion. More busy-body government.

I don't see this trend reversing.

Old 02-11-2024, 04:57 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
... I'm surprised no one mentioned the EV mandates and soaring energy costs.
I doubt these 'mandates' will hold.

I have been watching Governor Mills begging for more Federal tax money and re-labeling it for other things. Small towns have been getting some of this money for installing EV charging stations. Old Town is near me, they just installed eight EV charging stations using that money.

I do not really care. We have solar power for our home, and we use that to recharge our plugin car.

Quote:
... The person who asked me to say how Mainers are suffering maybe isn't paying their own heating bills.
Our firewood delivery went up a lot last year.

What was costing us $700 a year, is not costing $900 a year.

Old 02-11-2024, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
It's taking you two years to find a house in Maine, maybe the problem isn't Maine and new laws , maybe it you and your expectations, just a thought.
The vast majority of Maine is open and unoccupied land. Just buy a few hundred acres and build a house, done.

Old 02-11-2024, 06:42 PM

603 posts, read 622,781 times
Quote:
People in Maine are smarter then in the rest of the Country.

I'm pretty sure that's spelled "peeple."

Old 02-12-2024, 07:53 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
The vast majority of Maine is open and unoccupied land. Just buy a few hundred acres and build a house, done.

LOL, kinda my point, I don't mean to take a shot at anyone but two years seems long to me.

Old 02-12-2024, 09:17 AM

Quote:
LOL, kinda my point, I don't mean to take a shot at anyone but two years seems long to me.
I can understand it though.

I did some searches on Zillow, and now they run my searches every week and email me the results. We have homes on the market for 'cheap' [$30k - $80k] but they tend to be mobile homes that look in ill repair. What sane person wants to buy a mobile home that looks ready to collapse from snow load with the next big storm?

If a person wanted to buy a pristine 'turnkey' house of their dreams for under $100k, they would be left lacking in today's market.

I came to Maine in 2005, searching. I met with many realtors. Every realtor I met told me that my expectations did not align with reality. Each of them tried to sell me a house that in no way fit the list of requirements that I had, nor did any of them fit within my budget.

But I am versatile. I opted instead to buy bare land and build.

If someone else came to Maine, hoping to find a reasonably priced home they could buy and move into right away, I can understand their frustration at not finding any.

My experience is outdated. It was from before the last housing bubble burst. Now in 2024 we are in the midst of yet another housing bubble. This would be a horrible time to be buying a house in Maine.

Old 02-12-2024, 03:48 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I can understand it though.

I did some searches on Zillow, and now they run my searches every week and email me the results. We have homes on the market for 'cheap' [$30k - $80k] but they tend to be mobile homes that look in ill repair. What sane person wants to buy a mobile home that looks ready to collapse from snow load with the next big storm?

If a person wanted to buy a pristine 'turnkey' house of their dreams for under $100k, they would be left lacking in today's market.

I came to Maine in 2005, searching. I met with many realtors. Every realtor I met told me that my expectations did not align with reality. Each of them tried to sell me a house that in no way fit the list of requirements that I had, nor did any of them fit within my budget.

But I am versatile. I opted instead to buy bare land and build.

If someone else came to Maine, hoping to find a reasonably priced home they could buy and move into right away, I can understand their frustration at not finding any.

My experience is outdated. It was from before the last housing bubble burst. Now in 2024 we are in the midst of yet another housing bubble. This would be a horrible time to be buying a house in Maine.
Thanks. I appreciate your input. I recall you built kind of a "hangar" looking structure as your home? I may be wrong. Can you refresh my memory? I can't fathom digging into the archives here to find the answer

Old 02-12-2024, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
Thanks. I appreciate your input. I recall you built kind of a "hangar" looking structure as your home? I may be wrong. Can you refresh my memory? I can't fathom digging into the archives here to find the answer
Yes, I bought a steel building kit. A 60-foot by 40-foot rectangle with a nearly flat roof. originally marketed to be an airplane hangar.

About one-quarter of the price of a woodstick framed building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine