Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2022, 11:43 AM

34 posts, read 52,426 times

Advertisements

Consideration factors for me (mid 30s, female, no kids) to take up this job offer at Monroe are:
Will I be able to find high quality, cultured single men, aged between 33 to 50 in the area ( within an hour drive) for long term relationship/ marriage. I know there are few large universities within an hour drive, so hopefully that attracts some out of towners to live there.

I used to live in a small southern town briefly where most people married someone they know from high school and people tend to be close off to outsiders. I am trying to stay away from that kind of social vibe.
What about the high crime status that I have been reading about? I am sure this is one of those bad pockets of the city that exists in everywhere USA?

Thank You all who chip in. I'll need to make a decision in these few days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2022, 07:44 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Lmao you will never find a cultured man in Monroe. That town sucks. Do not move there unless its a big raise.

Old 05-20-2022, 12:11 PM

What about living in Ruston? I have checked the data in the US Census bureau, 40% of the local population owns at least a bachelor degree or higher, compared to 20-25% elsewhere.

Old 05-20-2022, 06:39 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,296,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Lmao you will never find a cultured man in Monroe. That town sucks. Do not move there unless its a big raise.
Unfortunately, I agree with this assessment. Having lived in LA for 35+ years and having visited Monroe on several occasions, I can honestly say this is one of the last places in the U.S. I would want to live or work.

Old 05-21-2022, 11:44 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,661,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Unfortunately, I agree with this assessment. Having lived in LA for 35+ years and having visited Monroe on several occasions, I can honestly say this is one of the last places in the U.S. I would want to live or work.
Perhaps the best thing about Monroe is that I-20 runs through it. My aunt and cousin evacuated to Monroe and Ruston during Hurricane Ida last summer.

Old 05-24-2022, 01:19 PM

688 posts, read 1,101,282 times
Given where you will be working, at a university, and the likelihood that some of your co-workers will become social friends, I would say you are more likely than most newcomers to find someone to date, socialize with, and so on in that community.

Good luck, keep us posted on your decision.

Old 05-26-2022, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbound and Down View Post
Given where you will be working, at a university, and the likelihood that some of your co-workers will become social friends, I would say you are more likely than most newcomers to find someone to date, socialize with, and so on in that community.

Good luck, keep us posted on your decision.
I ended up taking the offer due to the huge learning curve from the job and plus the benefits working at an university fits me the most right now in my career projection. I'd love to work in academia and a job, and only ULM gives me an offer.
I am still not sure on the workaround for the social aspect of living in Monroe. I finally moved into the town and the reality of most of the people I met running around errands with heavy country accent finally kicked in.

Old 05-26-2022, 10:07 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,296,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshgraduate09 View Post
I ended up taking the offer due to the huge learning curve from the job and plus the benefits working at an university fits me the most right now in my career projection. I'd love to work in academia and a job, and only ULM gives me an offer.
I am still not sure on the workaround for the social aspect of living in Monroe. I finally moved into the town and the reality of most of the people I met running around errands with heavy country accent finally kicked in.
I doubt there will be a workaround. My guess is you’ll get some experience and move on. Best of luck!

Old 05-27-2022, 06:57 AM

24,512 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshgraduate09 View Post
They may sound country to you. Guess how you sound to them? You might be surprised on how many of them are educated and cultured.

Old 05-31-2022, 02:51 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
They may sound country to you. Guess how you sound to them? You might be surprised on how many of them are educated and cultured.
Yeah, surprisingly low lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana