Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 08:07 PM

1 posts, read 18,261 times

Advertisements

I have always wanted to visit Louisiana, maybe even live there. However i was concerned about their gay population and tolerence down there, you know with it being the south and all. Does anyone live near the Gretna area or know about it and its gay population? I just want to know how safe it is there for a gay couple to live freely down there and if they have a large gay population similar to San fransisco perhaps? I recently visited Georgia and noticed that they have a large gay population and the straight people there dont even stare like they never see gay couples. Is it like that in Louisiana?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 09:26 PM

768 posts, read 4,385,687 times
All depends on where you are. New Orleans is obviously going to be the most accepting place... New Orleans is such a nice, cultural place. If you've never been, DO visit there.

Baton Rouge might be accepting as well since it's a major college area.

Shreveport-Bossier is going to be *somewhat* accepting, but definitely not highly. Lots of rednecks in this area who think if you don't like NASCAR, don't hunt, or are different in any way that you shouldn't be here. I'm not saying we're ALL that way, but there is a lot of it here unfortunately.

Louisiana, in general, is very rural. Your ultimate bet would be New Orleans! Gretna is in the New Orleans, but other than that unfortunately I don't know much about that city. Sorry! But good luck!!

Old 03-14-2008, 10:29 PM

794 posts, read 3,356,827 times
I agree. You will probably feel more comfortable in the major cities. Gretna is on the westbank. I'm not sure how open and diverse the westbank is. You wouldn't have much problem within NOLA, perhaps parts of Metairie as well. BTR, it depends on the areas but generally the central part of the city is fairly diverse. There's always LSU as well which is a large community in itself. You're much less likely to get stares in the eccletic neighborhoods and shopping at Whole Foods or Calandro's rather than the local WalMart. Baton Rouge has several known mixed and diverse neighborhoods and I'm sure a few other unknown places.
The suburbs are, well, the suburbs. Don't think you'd like it much there. I won't go into more detail unless you want to know more.
I've heard Lafayette is progressive, but I can't answer for them or Shreveport.
I will say that I really don't hear much about crimes against people because of differing sexual orientation. Our crime is more gang or youth violence and also some robberies, car breakins and the such. I can't vouch for verbal abuse, but I doubt you'll have to worry much about physical abuse (just from recent history, news stories, and crime numbers).

Old 03-15-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylwi View Post
I agree. You will probably feel more comfortable in the major cities. Gretna is on the westbank. I'm not sure how open and diverse the westbank is. You wouldn't have much problem within NOLA, perhaps parts of Metairie as well. BTR, it depends on the areas but generally the central part of the city is fairly diverse. There's always LSU as well which is a large community in itself. You're much less likely to get stares in the eccletic neighborhoods and shopping at Whole Foods or Calandro's rather than the local WalMart. Baton Rouge has several known mixed and diverse neighborhoods and I'm sure a few other unknown places.
The suburbs are, well, the suburbs. Don't think you'd like it much there. I won't go into more detail unless you want to know more.
I've heard Lafayette is progressive, but I can't answer for them or Shreveport.
I will say that I really don't hear much about crimes against people because of differing sexual orientation. Our crime is more gang or youth violence and also some robberies, car breakins and the such. I can't vouch for verbal abuse, but I doubt you'll have to worry much about physical abuse (just from recent history, news stories, and crime numbers).
As much as I hate to admit it, Lafayette is more progressive than Shreveport. I wish the winds of change would sweep through here and blow out all of the bigots, but in the meantime I will say Lafayette definitely is more progressive. And yes, that bothers me tremendously.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:52 PM

264 posts, read 1,151,089 times
New Orleans would be the best. Unlike the more conservative southern area its in, its just so diverse and culturally vibrant- and I think they even have a festival or something for gays in August, Im not sure though...

Old 03-15-2008, 08:30 PM

794 posts, read 3,356,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN-rox View Post
New Orleans would be the best. Unlike the more conservative southern area its in, its just so diverse and culturally vibrant- and I think they even have a festival or something for gays in August, Im not sure though...
You're talking about the Decadence Festival. Yeah, it's in late August.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:25 PM

655 posts, read 2,182,662 times
As a gay man going to school in New Orleans, I can definitely vouch for it being an open-minded city. I personally wouldn't walk around holding hands with another guy, but that's just me. I wouldn't do it anywhere.

There's a live-and-let-live attitude here. It's all carefree. [Hence, The City That Care Forgot.]

Old 03-20-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv0928 View Post
As a gay man going to school in New Orleans, I can definitely vouch for it being an open-minded city. I personally wouldn't walk around holding hands with another guy, but that's just me. I wouldn't do it anywhere.

There's a live-and-let-live attitude here. It's all carefree. [Hence, The City That Care Forgot.]
Not to mention "The Big Easy!" In my opinion both of those names say it all. It's just an easy-living type of place.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:33 AM

258 posts, read 1,020,490 times
Eat @ the Clover grill and you'll understand.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:01 PM

7 posts, read 47,176 times
It's not the rednecks in S'port/Bossier who'll step on your buzz, It's the "hollier-n-thou" Bible-thumpers that'll ruin the party. They'd love to shut down boats, track, clubs...anything fun, rather'n minding their own business. But, they're worrie'd 'bout your soul...bless their hearts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana