Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 09:36 PM

270 posts, read 587,639 times

Advertisements

Can we close this gay thread? Since we are not allowed to speak honestly on the subject there is no reason it should be open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 03:26 PM

1 posts, read 931 times
NOLA has the 5th highest concentration of LGBT people in any Metro area in the U.S.
I doubt if people would stick around or visit/repeat visit if it was completely negative

Old 04-20-2018, 02:23 PM

501 posts, read 360,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
If you get unwanted advances from men, all you have to say is that you're not interested. No big deal.
Politely turning down an unwelcomed advance from a gay man, is part of the drill, in the circles I have run in.

Some dude waking me up by rubbing my hands.....

That needs to be addressed.

PS. Gotta love the CD. Friday afternoon at work here in the capitol of California.

I have time to find my way to the gay thread in Louisiana, and comment on it .

Old 06-04-2018, 01:10 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,935,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
Houston, New Orleans, and Austin are all "gay friendly" southern cities right here in this region. A person would have no problem in any of those cities. In fact it's really easy in those cities to forget you're in the "good ol' south." Thank goodness...

Houston really? That big mega church in Houston defeated a city wide referendum on fair housing for gay couples that would have passed in any major American city outside the South. Houston doesn't seem that tolerant if they won't even pass a fair housing law for gay people.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:16 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,935,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Ducky View Post
Thanks. I'd also like to explain myself a little more on this issue. I'm a Disciple of Yahushua the Messiah. I love God with all my heart... number one. That means I love everyone! No matter what.

However, I have to admit, lately I have been having some serious problems with gay people. While in Eugene Oregon I woke up in the middle of the night to find this gay guy holding and rubbing my hand while I was sleeping. I didn't know the guy was gay. Even if I did I'm not the kind of person to preach to them or throw stones. Years ago one of my best friends was gay, in New Orleans. I was allways with my girlfriend and he respected me. Not once did he upset me. He was a cool person. Anyway, now adays things are changing. Can I tell you, when I woke up to this guy holding and rubbing my hand, he came veeery close to losing his hand... and I'm a Christian through and through. That's one of the reasons I just left Eugene. So, I'm in Boise Idaho now, thinking it will be better for me since I thought the state is much more conservative and that's where I belong. Well, just this morning I had to litterally run from this guy who I'm sure is gay, because he wouldn't stop talking to me. The gay jokes he was saying to me too... Rrrrr... it's obvious. and he even followed me. Right now I'm at the point where I'm scared. If something like what I said earlier happens one more time it's not going to be good. What am I supposed to do? If I complain then I'll be looked at as intolerant and hatefull or whatever. It's really taking a toll on me mentally. It's getting to the point to where I don't even want to talk to... any guys... because it's like everybodys gay to me. Seriously. Some guy says hi, and I'm like... they might be gay. This is freaking me out big time. Seriously. How would you feel if some gay creep touches you while you were sleeping? And everywhere you go, there's no escaping these creeps.

I told someone about what that guy was doing and they said... "ahhhh, you should feel complemented, he likes you" and naaaaa, that's not crazy, your not crazy if you touch someone while there sleeping". "He can't help it"

And you know what, he couldn't get in any trouble for that. It was just rubbing my hand.... "while I was sleeping."

Curious, do you have any sympathy for gay guys that have women hit on them and not leave them alone, cause it does happen? Somehow I doubt you would have any sympathy for them in that regard. Double standard. We are an extreme minority, and find it a little hard to believe you keep running into these aggressive gay guys everywhere. I have never heard this from a straight guy in Philly where we are much more tolerant.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:43 PM

372 posts, read 450,565 times
Was in New Orleans a couple weekends ago and saw gay flags around every corner when walking through the French quarter and down Rampart. I would say it’s an open minded and accepting place.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:29 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,619,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada2012 View Post

PS. Gotta love the CD. Friday afternoon at work here in the capitol of California.

I have time to find my way to the gay thread in Louisiana, and comment on it .
You must be a government worker.

Old 06-08-2018, 02:11 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,304,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Houston really? That big mega church in Houston defeated a city wide referendum on fair housing for gay couples that would have passed in any major American city outside the South. Houston doesn't seem that tolerant if they won't even pass a fair housing law for gay people.
It's not that simple.

First, since it was a city-wide referendum, voting would be restricted to those who were city residents. City demographics are 40% Hispanic and 25% Black. So while those megachurches certainly did play a role in opposing the law, the defeat ultimately comes in the hands of many of these minorities:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Houston
http://www.fox26houston.com/news/act...ffirms-support
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/pol...on-6613769.php

Second, you have to look at the context of the opposition. It formulated a scare tactic, in the form of a pretense that the law would be "allowing men in women's rooms," which would then "lead to increased chance of sexual predator attacks against women." It didn't help that media outlets repeatedly called the referendum a "Bathroom Bill", despite being a full city wide ERO. So you probably had many of those voting against it because they simply fell for those scare-tactics, not because they were bigoted against LGBT:
https://www.texastribune.org/2015/11...-early-voting/

Third, Houston has very large city limits through annexation that include a lot of what would otherwise be suburbs in other metro areas. You basically have a progressive inner city that is held hostage by its outer areas. The article below contains many maps that break it all down. Additionally, these maps also confirm the minority opposition I explained earlier:
https://www.chron.com/politics/elect...on-6613769.php

And lastly, most similar laws in other cities went through via council. That can't be compared with a law that passed through referendum.

Last edited by Texyn; 06-08-2018 at 02:52 PM..

Old 06-08-2018, 05:15 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,324,612 times
I'm not sure I would call inner city Houston progressive, at least not like San Francisco or Seattle.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:26 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,304,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I'm not sure I would call inner city Houston progressive, at least not like San Francisco or Seattle.
You're right, even the inner city still contains all those east side industrial spots that dilute whatever is happening at Montrose & co.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana