Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 01:34 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,083,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miserylovesco. View Post
Eat @ the Clover grill and you'll understand.
HA! The Clever Girl...I miss the Hubcap Burgers there...
do you know if Earl still works there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 10:52 AM

6 posts, read 17,391 times
First of all-I'm not gay, but in the mid to late 80's there was a adult video store in Gretna(on the Westbank Expressway) that many of the gays frequented. The meeting place was in the back where they had individual booths with cheap XXX movie viewers.(I know this because I went there one particularly drunken night) The cops raided the place every so often until it finally closed down in ,I think 1990. I believe the two main gay bars had closed down also, one on BelleChase Highway, the other in old Gretna. There was a huge gay nightclub just outside the parameters of Lakeside Mall in Metarie that closed in the mid 80's. I'm not sure about "Westbank" tolerance, but I know a lot of my old "Gretna Post Office" workers made fun of the gay bar not to far down the street from our 4th and Huey P Long location, but never with malice. Of course that was back in 1985!!

Old 04-17-2008, 10:49 AM

8 posts, read 51,913 times
ok i have lived in bossier city, Shreveport, Greenwood, Lake Charles, and Lafayette and I think that Lafayette is an awesome place for Gays... I am a straight female but I have had a lot of gay friends and they rock! lol
they have a few gay bars there and I love to go and have fun... Gay people always seem to know how to brighten up the party!

Kajonangel

Old 04-17-2008, 04:16 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
My son and his wife, who is Asian, have found terrible racism in Louisiana. There are times she is in a store and no one will come to the counter to help her. She is American born and holds a graduate degree. I sincerely doubt you would be welcomed with open arms. It is shocking in this day and age.
Where do they live? My daughter-in-law is in Metairie and she is from the Phillippines. We could maybe put them together if she is near and Filipina.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:41 PM

32 posts, read 139,415 times
I would also say that Covington / Mandeville are good if you are looking to live near the city but not in it. SBC is right about New Orleans proper being best, but we have a gay couple in our very suburban neighborhood who are well accepted. Covington, while being a small town, seems to be very open-minded, in my opinion. It's very artsy.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:00 PM

17 posts, read 216,731 times
Hello to one and all. I'm in the Monroe area and although straight, I see no reason why gay couples couldnt set up house around here. We have a University setting and several clubs. Many are in the medical setting as well that I know personally. HA!! Gays are way more accepted than PITBULLS!!
but, yes the rural thing does go on and it sure isnt NO or Lafayette. I think the absolute worst place would be Alexandria.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:46 PM

4 posts, read 19,313 times
I am selling my house and it is a gay mans dream house or gay couple dream house

Old 05-21-2010, 02:48 PM

4 posts, read 19,313 times
I know that Gay men like to fix up a house and this is a real house to fix up and quite unique

Old 05-22-2010, 01:17 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
My son and his wife, who is Asian, have found terrible racism in Louisiana. There are times she is in a store and no one will come to the counter to help her. She is American born and holds a graduate degree. I sincerely doubt you would be welcomed with open arms. It is shocking in this day and age.

You need to consider that about 40% of Louisiana is black population. It is a far greater percentage than most states. Because of this, there is definitely a degree of racism by default. however, what it also means is that Louisiana is more tolerant of other races as a society by necessity. If we were truly a state of racists, then 40% black population could not live here. Yet they go about their lives every day side by side with white people and other races. There is a lack of subrbs in most places in Louisiana, owing to the fact that whites have generally accepted blacks and learned to live in the same areas.

Similarly, I see gay couples around Lafayette sometimes and I have friends who are gay or lesbian and from what Ive experienced from being around them, nobody really seems to care. They certainly are not ridiculed for it. In fact, I work with a gay man whose companion comes to the office to visit occasionally.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:52 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,389 times
Definitely more accepting in bigger cities, and there is a gay club in Lake Charles called Crystals, on Ryan St. Lafayette is exploding and I can imagine there is a large gay population there. But obviously N.O. would be the most accepting. You'd have more of a problem in Mississippi than you would in Louisiana. Given that you are not out having sex in a public place such as a park *coughs* (Tuten Park anybody). You know, that you not just bearing all your business out.

Last edited by pandorafan5687; 05-24-2010 at 10:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana