Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 06:43 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teachesl View Post
Finally, Central Islip is the home of the Long Island Ducks.

Oh yeah i forgot about them. I guess thats a good reason to move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 09:01 AM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
CI has some nice and "normal" neighborhoods. It's not like the entire town is the ghetto or anything like that. For the most part, the garbage is confined to a few areas, but overall it leaves a black cloud hanging over CI, primarily because of it's influence on the school district. On LI, if the school district isn't top-notch, then the assumption is that the entire community sucks.
On that note, I wouldn't recommend CI on the list of places to settle down

Old 07-16-2009, 02:10 PM

518 posts, read 1,820,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
CI has some nice and "normal" neighborhoods. It's not like the entire town is the ghetto or anything like that. For the most part, the garbage is confined to a few areas, but overall it leaves a black cloud hanging over CI, primarily because of it's influence on the school district. On LI, if the school district isn't top-notch, then the assumption is that the entire community sucks.
On that note, I wouldn't recommend CI on the list of places to settle down
the whole area off of connetquot ave is very nice, big properties, horse farms, nice houses, and quiet. but its still CI, and CI school district. but if u didnt know any better u would never guess that was CI

Old 07-16-2009, 04:07 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
I think they like to call it "North Great River". But, you're right. It is nothing like the rest of the town.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-16-2009, 05:19 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I think they like to call it "North Great River". But, you're right. It is nothing like the rest of the town.

North Great River is a separate hamlet to the immediate south of the Hamlet of Central Islip.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:59 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,287 times
Central Islip is a spotty area. Meaning that one block can be very nice, but the next block over could be a dump. You tend to find clusters of nice houses and clusters of people sitting on couches outside on their front lawn within a few blocks of each other. Because of this, their is a lot of robbery, which is usually a result when you have two distinct economic zones bordering each other.

The "downtown" is pretty run down, but the surrounding areas are still fairly nice.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:19 AM

407 posts, read 966,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamExit View Post
the whole area off of connetquot ave is very nice, big properties, horse farms, nice houses, and quiet. but its still CI, and CI school district. but if u didnt know any better u would never guess that was CI
Very true, lovely area. I work in Ci and go to West Islip a lot for work. I always go out of my way to travel along connetquot ave because it is so peacefull.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:54 AM

518 posts, read 1,820,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtees4 View Post
Very true, lovely area. I work in Ci and go to West Islip a lot for work. I always go out of my way to travel along connetquot ave because it is so peacefull.
yep its peaceful and theres hardly any traffic to deal with, where as carlton ave or 111 are the complete opposite

Old 07-18-2009, 05:06 PM

3 posts, read 11,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIFD3-7-4Engine4 View Post
There are alot of good men and women who put their lives on the line for the people of CI . i know the town is becoming more foreign every day but there are some of the original white families here. if any one to blame for the spanish invasion of our long island towns its the government . they cater to these foreigners and makes us whites learn spanish. well its not fair. my ancestors came from italy and norway both sides of the family lost thir language, culture because of the government . why not do the same for others and force them to bend to the AMERICAN will . i got to say the other rich white towns have heroin and other drugs like that to deal with. the only drug in ci is pot. eventually the town will be white again just like in 1906. for now we will just deal with it till it gets out of control because these hispanics breed like rabbits
While you are entitled to your own opinion, there is something wrong here. I do agree that there is a serious problem with certain individuals coming to the United States and refusing to learn the language. As a former teacher, I always found it disturbing when I would have to communicate via the child because the parents did not speak any English. However, I must say that this was a problem that I experienced with other cultures besides the hispanic culture. To say, "hispanics breed like rabbits," is wrong on so many levels. The fact is that people on the lower part of the socioeconomic status tend to have more children than other groups for whatever reason. The problem that CI is having is similar to the problems that many other towns in other parts of the country deals with. The issues in CI reflect an economic problem. You go to any part of the country in the poorer neighborhoods and you have the same issues (minus perhaps the language issue) whether the community is white, black, hispanic, or asian. I'm sure you can go to some middle to upper-middle class hispanic neighborhoods and they do not look anything like CI. To say some of the rude things that you have said about hispanics makes you no better than the gangs members killing each other, except that you are killing people with your words.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:54 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilliput3 View Post
Sean, Sean, Sean writes he didn't know CI had so many Spainiards. Let me tell you, there is a huge difference between true Spainiards from Spain and the hispanics from Central & South America and lets not forget Mexico! There is no comparison between these ethnic groups. Central Islip is loaded with hispanics. They have ruined what was once a lovely little town. CVS has signs in English & spanish which is a bunch of crap. There are bodgeas and other stores catering to them. Why the hell should they go back to their countries when we are giving them everything here not to mention the fact that why should they bother to learn English when things are made so easy for them. I'll be damned if I'm going to learn spanish!! They are in my country, reaping all the benefits, so they should be the ones to learn our language. Anyway, to see what C.I. has turned into certainly can explain why people are packing up and getting out.
Same thing is going on here in Westbury as well, though CI and Brentwood seem to have a much worse infestation. All the stores cater to them, its sickening! I guess these stores would rather have criminals shopping in their isles than law abiding citizens. Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island