Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 07:18 PM

265 posts, read 1,548,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines View Post
Briermere Farms mm I bought pies for 20 years from them -! I think they are made in China now though...
Say it isn't so! Although I have only bought from them "in season", I did wonder sometimes how they could have "fresh" spring fruit pies available in autumn. I just assumed they'd frozen sufficient quantity of their local produce and then used it later... but what you said could be a possibilty too. Daim!

Another place I used to buy from is the Jericho Cider Mill (on Route 106, north of Hicksville and south of East Norwich). They are only open during apple season, so I'm assuming (hoping!) that what they sell is still the Real Deal. I know they're still there but haven't been up that way in ages.

A nice big mug of hot Jericho Cider Mill apple cider, stirred with a cinnamon stick, would definitely hit the spot on a wintry night like this!

Old 02-14-2007, 07:18 PM

417 posts, read 1,891,395 times
OK, this isn't directly 'on topic' but it's very related. LI, like many (most?) other places is suffering from the culture of "growth," and LI 'sucks' because it is farther along beyond the limits of rational growth than most other places. We the people, and the politicians that 'represent' us allow what has happened in LI, and is happening elsewhere, to go on becuase we really don't understand some basic mathematic principles and their implications. Anyone who has the time should check out this lecture:

http://www.globalpublicmedia.com/lectures/461

(in case urls are automatically deleted it is www dot globalpublicmedia dot com slash lectures slash 461)

Actually watching it is better than the transcript as there are some visual props and the lecturer's delivery is entertaining. The lecture addresses all kinds of implications of the basic premise that are very important, but the talk about the development of Boulder, CO is illustrative specifically in reference to this thread. I hope people check it out- it really gave me a new perspective and means of analysis when I now hear council members, town planners and politicians talk about 'growth percentages' and future plans.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:21 PM

265 posts, read 1,548,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines View Post
Elbow room
Jamesport
Is that still there?! Wow. I remember going out there for dinner in the late 1960s/early 1970s. Excellent steaks! Is it still owned by the same people or did someone else take it over and just keep the name?

Came back to add: I'm having a Senior Moment, I guess, because for some reason I now seem to recall the Elbow Room being farther east than Jamesport..... Greenport maybe?? Did they move to Jamesport?

The 2 classic East End restaurants I remember from Ye Olden Days are the Elbow Room and Claudio's. Claudio's for fish, Elbow Room for beef....

Last edited by OvertaxedOnLI; 02-14-2007 at 07:34 PM..

Old 02-14-2007, 07:53 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queens2ligirl View Post
BUT, to take all of this so seriously is just, to me, not worth it....
Yes, of course. This is the INTERNET. You (any of you, that is) don't think that any of these rude words really signal any serious emnity?

Jeez!

Old 02-14-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
Important question is where does a person recovering form Manhassetites go for rehab ?
-Joe
Hmmm. I went to California. I (at least, my parents) lived in Manhasset for 25 years.

Old 02-14-2007, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychrome View Post
OK, this isn't directly 'on topic' but it's very related. LI, like many (most?) other places is suffering from the culture of "growth," and LI 'sucks' because it is farther along beyond the limits of rational growth than most other places. We the people, and the politicians that 'represent' us allow what has happened in LI, and is happening elsewhere, to go on becuase we really don't understand some basic mathematic principles and their implications.
I disagree. It's directly on topic, minus alla the nasty.

I better get back to work.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:06 PM

480 posts, read 2,829,276 times
So much to say. I'll just sum it up by saying...

You're a Putz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihateny View Post
There are many reasons, I'll just name the few that come to mind...

Way too expensive.
Public Transportation is slow and expensive.
Taxes are high and never stop rising.
School taxes are high and never stop rising due to corrupt school officials.
People are rude and unfriendly in general..................................

Old 02-14-2007, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post
So much to say. I'll just sum it up by saying...

You're a Putz.

So little to say?

I'll just sum it up by saying...

You're a Long Islander.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:13 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
So little to say?

I'll just sum it up by saying...

You're a Long Islander.
Man you're just out causing trouble tonight aren't ya?

I saw this thread and had to weigh in.

Personally, I would move back to LI in a heartbeat if I could sustain a living there as well as I can here in PA. If my funds were unlimited, I'd move to NYC.

You just don't know what you had until it's gone.

-TT

Old 02-14-2007, 10:33 PM

I couldn't resist.

I'm at work and I just ran out of...something. Can't get anymore till Friday, I have to regroup and do something else.

I'm preparing to move to the Bronx, probably to a fairly rough area, to get out of here. I hate it a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island