Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2024, 09:21 AM

427 posts, read 153,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
I'm with you on this. The chuckleheads I know who own guns I don't want responding to an emergency.
Obtaining a pistol license in downstate NY is an arduous, costly, and lengthy process that involves extensive background and mental health checks, numerous references from unrelated community residents, an interview with a police investigator, and a six-month waiting period, among other things. Everything down to traffic tickets is investigated and must be disclosed and explained. If you want the ability to carry concealed, there is another process on top of that which includes a multi-day training class, drug testing, doctor's notes, and other hoop-jumping.

I don't think there are many "chuckleheads" who bother doing all of that. Historically, pistol permit holders commit next to no crimes and many are far more well-trained with their weapons than most cops, many of whom only shoot their weapon once a year for required qualification purposes. I'd be far more afraid of an unvetted dude with a knife he bought at Wal-Mart. Long guns are another story. For the most part you just need to pass the Federal NICS background check to buy one, although I believe NY recently added a license requirement for semi-automatic long guns.

In any event, legal gun owners are not criminals. Most "gun crime" is caused by a tiny fraction of the population and is gang/drug related - if you remove that element of society the US isn't any different from other Western nations. Although with the rate of illegal immigration from s-hole countries happening throughout the west, those numbers are unfortunately climbing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2024, 02:17 PM

106,568 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell on Property View Post
Obtaining a pistol license in downstate NY is an arduous, costly, and lengthy process that involves extensive background and mental health checks, numerous references from unrelated community residents, an interview with a police investigator, and a six-month waiting period, among other things. Everything down to traffic tickets is investigated and must be disclosed and explained. If you want the ability to carry concealed, there is another process on top of that which includes a multi-day training class, drug testing, doctor's notes, and other hoop-jumping.

I don't think there are many "chuckleheads" who bother doing all of that. Historically, pistol permit holders commit next to no crimes and many are far more well-trained with their weapons than most cops, many of whom only shoot their weapon once a year for required qualification purposes. I'd be far more afraid of an unvetted dude with a knife he bought at Wal-Mart. Long guns are another story. For the most part you just need to pass the Federal NICS background check to buy one, although I believe NY recently added a license requirement for semi-automatic long guns.

In any event, legal gun owners are not criminals. Most "gun crime" is caused by a tiny fraction of the population and is gang/drug related - if you remove that element of society the US isn't any different from other Western nations. Although with the rate of illegal immigration from s-hole countries happening throughout the west, those numbers are unfortunately climbing.
is really not a big deal in nyc to get a residence permit as long as you have a clean record . i don’t ever remember questions relating to traffic tickets .

yeah it takes time initially but after that to maintain it , you do it on line every 3 years .

last i saw there are 30,000 to 40,000 permit holders here so lots took the time to do it

Old 04-09-2024, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
is really not a big deal in nyc to get a residence permit as long as you have a clean record . i don’t ever remember questions relating to traffic tickets .

yeah it takes time initially but after that to maintain it , you do it on line every 3 years .

last i saw there are 30,000 to 40,000 permit holders here so lots took the time to do it
30-40k isn't very many in a city of 8.3M. Nationwide, New York State is in the bottom 5 states in terms of (legal) gun ownership, and statewide I believe the number of pistol license holders is under 200k.

Point being, pistol permit holders aren't the "chuckleheads" KMR was claiming.

Old 04-09-2024, 12:30 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,662,548 times
Quote:

Point being, pistol permit holders aren't the "chuckleheads" KMR was claiming.
I guess you and I have differing standards of what constitutes a "chucklehead".

Old 04-09-2024, 08:36 PM

57,231 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Did we need more people with guns after Sandy and what difference would a few hundred gunowners make. If someone's house is being looted are they going intervene. This raises a thousand questions, who will be liable in case where someone is mistakenly shot, the county?

Old 04-12-2024, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
I guess you and I have differing standards of what constitutes a "chucklehead".
Oh, I have no doubt of that.

Old 04-12-2024, 11:12 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
During Sandy we had every gun we owned loaded up and ready to go. Had them stashed all over the house. Thankfully, we never had any problems with looters or other degenerates coming around so we never needed to use our firearms. But we were ready if necessary.
It was so creepy that first week or so with no power or lighting anywhere in sight. I’ll never forget that. Just pitch black as far as the eye could see at night.

Old 04-13-2024, 07:19 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,951,250 times
While the progressive libs will reflexively cue the (faux) outrage and (faux) arguments over everything Blakeman says and does, it is encouraging he doesn’t back down from his common sense ideas.

Old 04-13-2024, 07:26 AM

106,568 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Did we need more people with guns after Sandy and what difference would a few hundred gunowners make. If someone's house is being looted are they going intervene. This raises a thousand questions, who will be liable in case where someone is mistakenly shot, the county?
i would never intervene on any strangers behalf for any reason .. not anymore

Old 04-13-2024, 07:34 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,539,665 times
Quote:
Obtaining a pistol license in downstate NY is an arduous, costly, and lengthy process that involves extensive background and mental health checks, numerous references from unrelated community residents, an interview with a police investigator, and a six-month waiting period, among other things.
Partially true. The six month wait apparently starts from the time of your "interview." From the time you submit an application, it could take 18 months until they grant you an "interview." Had this happen to a relative in Suffolk County not that long ago. It look just under two years from the time the application check was cashed to receiving the license.

Their job is simple... make the process as difficult and onerous as possible. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts (pun intended) that any complaint about the process moves your application to the bottom of the pile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island