Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2024, 04:50 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Forget that. “Fixing” the system will just make taxes go up even more for most. Political suicide. He’s going to leave it how it is.
Curran had it headed in the right direction, Blakeman kicked the can down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2024, 05:19 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,662,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Curran had it headed in the right direction, Blakeman kicked the can down the road.
Nonsense. Curran assessed wealthy neighbors up, stopped assessment challenges for a year and then went back to business as usual.

Old 03-29-2024, 05:26 PM

1,464 posts, read 755,856 times
Some people just hate someone because they are associated with a certain party unfortunately. This is the case here. There’s no point in trying.

Old 03-29-2024, 05:36 PM

5,046 posts, read 3,951,250 times
I think Blakeman broke the libs when he stood up to Hochul’s dingbat plan to house illegal immigrants at the site of the Nassau Coliseum. That was back in August - he declared Nassau was NOT a sanctuary county.

When you love open borders, trans boys playing girls sports, and rights for criminals it is very very sad to hear what Blakeman has to say. And the fact his ideas are quite popular makes it unbearably do.

Old 03-30-2024, 06:49 AM

5,804 posts, read 2,930,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC324 View Post
I wonder if this is a strike at any rumored state gun regulations by essentially creating a militia.

The unions should be up in arms about this. He's asking for volunteers to do jobs that could potentially be filled by full time dues-paying members, either on OT with hazard pay or by hiring additional full time staff.
I support this.

Old 03-30-2024, 07:06 AM

106,575 posts, read 108,713,667 times
i wonder if nyc residents can volunteer to help long island if they have permits.

you know no such thing will happen in nyc. … only those with ccw can be out there legally here .

i think long island is still using the restricted carry as a target hunting permit which makes it not a crime to be off premise, only an admin violation unlike nyc which stopped using it and switched to a residence permit.

a residence permit has criminal implications off premise unless hunting with valid hunting license or authorized range .

it still has to be locked and unloaded when transported

Old 03-30-2024, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
Nonsense. Curran assessed wealthy neighbors up, stopped assessment challenges for a year and then went back to business as usual.
Curran attempted to value properties correctly after an 8 year freeze, she did so with the exception of one year due to wild swings in property values. Blakeman still hasn't hire a qualified assessor, continuing to just freeze assessments just creates more disparity.

My point was, this is what he should be working on since it was a campaign promise and he was critical of Curran. Instead he is using his office for politics.

Old 03-30-2024, 09:00 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
Curran attempted to value properties correctly after an 8 year freeze, she did so with the exception of one year due to wild swings in property values. Blakeman still hasn't hire a qualified assessor, continuing to just freeze assessments just creates more disparity.

My point was, this is what he should be working on since it was a campaign promise and he was critical of Curran. Instead he is using his office for politics.
If people don’t want a disparity then grieve. It’s free. If not it their own fault IMO

Old 03-30-2024, 09:12 AM

1,261 posts, read 559,929 times
Quote:

I'm pretty sure the only "solution" they offered so far was to suggest making the Assessor an elected position, which just means someone even less qualified with better connections can do the job.

Old 03-31-2024, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
If people don’t want a disparity then grieve. It’s free. If not it their own fault IMO
A rather large percentage don't grieve which at this point is the only option, I don't quite understand why they wouldn't file. It creates a disparity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC324 View Post
I'm pretty sure the only "solution" they offered so far was to suggest making the Assessor an elected position, which just means someone even less qualified with better connections can do the job.
I agree, it should not be elected, they need someone professional not connected to the companies making a fortune that are grieving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island