Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2024, 07:02 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by med786 View Post
Hi guys! Bought a new house in Commack on the main road which my husband really wanted but i’m not too happy with it as I have three small kids. Anyone else live on a main road? What are the pros and cons?
We used to live in Commack on Redleaf Lane. There was a main road not far from us. Can't remember the name as it's been 40 years.

I would never want to live on a main road. I have inside/outside cats and if I had small children I would be afraid to let them out the front door. But it sounds like it's a little late to do much about it if you already bought the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2024, 07:59 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,759,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsifal View Post
What a constructive comment
your post was laughable.

Old 02-01-2024, 08:05 AM

1,894 posts, read 892,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
your post was laughable.

It was quite positive, among dozens of negative comments, and the OP deserves to hear both sides. That said, you're obviously another one of the trolls that belong in my Ignore List.

Old 02-01-2024, 09:07 AM

10,895 posts, read 7,386,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
What does a mental Health house have to do with Living on a main road? Stop posting these ridiculous things on this website. If you can't contribute any thing that's helpful to the person who started this thread don't say anything at all.
If that poster annoys you so much, put them on ignore, so the rest of us don't have to read your scolding.

Actually, I think I'll block you to ensure it.

Old 02-01-2024, 09:56 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
If that poster annoys you so much, put them on ignore, so the rest of us don't have to read your scolding.

Actually, I think I'll block you to ensure it.
You go right ahead and do that.

Old 02-01-2024, 10:27 AM

5,052 posts, read 3,955,268 times
The word ‘busy’ ’ is relative.

Beyond that, there has been discussion on here before regarding “double yellow” roads and whether that is an automatic hit regarding real estate pricing since that indicates ‘ busy’ for most.

Old 02-01-2024, 11:54 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,770,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetandinlongisland View Post
It is a regular house but they put many many adults in it that have mental health and they do give them medications. It is in the same areas as falmilys and should not be there and sometimes the people do scams and it is in forums. It is usually on the main road because the house does cost less money and the state can buy it. The person that made the post should know about it and see if it is there. They did do this near my sisters house in long island and the people did try to talk to and bothering the children and strange things do happen and she did tell me all about it. Many people do know about it.
where are these mental health houses in long island,ny? are there any in mt. misery? are there vortexes in long island, ny??

Old 02-01-2024, 01:25 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
The word ‘busy’ ’ is relative.

Beyond that, there has been discussion on here before regarding “double yellow” roads and whether that is an automatic hit regarding real estate pricing since that indicates ‘ busy’ for most.
No doubt it affects resale, by how much I think would depend on the zipcode and just how busy the road actually is. Like for example, Merrick ave in Merrick is busy as ****, but once you get past the commercial area by the train station there is some seriously nice housing stock along the road. While those homes may go for less than stuff on the side roads, they sure as **** aint giving them away.

Old 02-01-2024, 04:21 PM

54 posts, read 29,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
No doubt it affects resale, by how much I think would depend on the zipcode and just how busy the road actually is. Like for example, Merrick ave in Merrick is busy as ****, but once you get past the commercial area by the train station there is some seriously nice housing stock along the road. While those homes may go for less than stuff on the side roads, they sure as **** aint giving them away.

True. I’m on Townline Road in commack in suffolk county.

Old 02-01-2024, 09:13 PM

730 posts, read 1,657,837 times
To the original poster:

Sure, it would be nice to have a big house on a cul de sac, but I would imagine that financially, that is not possible for most people. You have a roof over your head, small children and presumably food in the refrigerator. Try not to listen to the people telling you all the downsides of buying a home on a busy street. Somebody is buying them and are raising their families.

Use common sense, educate the kids when they're old enough about the potential dangers and hold your head up high that in this day and age, you were able to purchase a home.

Accentuate the positive and best of luck in your new home!

Best
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: