Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2024, 11:52 AM

132 posts, read 102,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by med786 View Post
Hi guys! Bought a new house in Commack on the main road which my husband really wanted but i’m not too happy with it as I have three small kids. Anyone else live on a main road? What are the pros and cons?
I live on a main road and there’s no pro’s only con’s. Keep your children in your gated backyard and make sure they don’t go close to the street. That’s what I did when my kids were little.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2024, 12:44 PM

185 posts, read 109,961 times
Quote:
Nice to read thanks! Are you in suffolk county?
Nassau

Old 01-31-2024, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Think about this…think about the thousands upon thousands of homes on busy roads across all of LI and then think of how many problems actually occur. It’s not like every day someone plows through your living room or some kid gets mowed down because they ran into the street. If it were that bad nobody would be living in these homes. They’d be vacant or all strip malls.
Busy road is one kind of externality. Others include houses adjacent to a restaurant/retail, train tracks, industrial site, landfill, school, prison, police station, fire station, hospital, corner lot, flag lot, by a recreational sports field that attracts many loud spectators, under a commercial flight path, Prone to tidal flooding, lack of trees, lack of sidewalks, near a sump where teenagers like to sneak in at night to drink beer, adjacent to a park leading to strangers near your backyard. Some houses are too far from major roads and that becomes an issue. And let’s not forget this site’s favorite bugaboo, the dreaded below average school district.

Everyone weighs each externality differently. Few houses are immune from all.

Old 01-31-2024, 02:37 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
I am on a busy road too but have no kids or pets. I knew what I was getting into when I bought the home. I am so used to the noise I don't even notice it anymore. I am also on a corner. Been here since 2003. At the time we bought the house we were so happy it was in our price range and had the two car garage that my husband wanted, the fact that it was on a busy road never occurred to us. If I ever sell and move again I would want to be on a quiet street.

Old 01-31-2024, 04:11 PM

54 posts, read 29,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBlonde View Post
I live on a main road and there’s no pro’s only con’s. Keep your children in your gated backyard and make sure they don’t go close to the street. That’s what I did when my kids were little.
Are you considering moving?

Old 01-31-2024, 05:29 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
There are 2 advantages that I can think of.

If you have some sort of professional practice, dentist, doctor, etc. and have the required permits, then a busy main road is an advantage.

The other advantage, which is the elephant in the room, is the price. It's more affordable and the location gives it a discount. Perhaps, this is what the OP could afford and it's a way of getting into the housing market.

Old 01-31-2024, 06:02 PM

5,823 posts, read 2,943,117 times
Quote:
No Townline road
From the google pics its not that bad at all. Its not like you are on Old Country road or Sunrise for gods sake. Do you ever see anyone anywhere play in front of their house anywhere? No.
Build a nice fence outside and never leave kids un attended. Leaving them unattended should never be an option in todays day and age anyhow.

Old 01-31-2024, 06:15 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,759,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsifal View Post
I live on a busier road (mostly during AM/PM rush hour times) here are some pros:

- road is always plowed, sometimes snow doesn’t even accumulate during rush hour
- no street parking in front of my house means no inconsiderate neighbor/neighbor’s guests parking in front of my house
- prompt trash pickup and recycling
- frequent street cleaning
- extra security because house isn’t tucked away
- where I live, houses on busier roads have much larger backyards; my backyard is 2x as large as my adjacent neighbor who has house/driveway facing side road, my front yard is larger too and distance between houses is greater
- lots of people appreciate my Christmas lights and decoration and gardening
this reads like something from The Onion.

Old 01-31-2024, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
this reads like something from The Onion.
What a constructive comment

Old 01-31-2024, 08:09 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsifal View Post
Busy road is one kind of externality. Others include houses adjacent to a restaurant/retail, train tracks, industrial site, landfill, school, prison, police station, fire station, hospital, corner lot, flag lot, by a recreational sports field that attracts many loud spectators, under a commercial flight path, Prone to tidal flooding, lack of trees, lack of sidewalks, near a sump where teenagers like to sneak in at night to drink beer, adjacent to a park leading to strangers near your backyard. Some houses are too far from major roads and that becomes an issue. And let’s not forget this site’s favorite bugaboo, the dreaded below average school district.

Everyone weighs each externality differently. Few houses are immune from all.
Exactly.
Everyone needs a place to live.
And everyone has a budget.
Can’t always get what you want.
Busy road? Neighborhood floods? Live directly under busy airport flightpath?
And so on. There’s almost always some trade off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: