Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2024, 01:43 PM

1,894 posts, read 892,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by med786 View Post
Bought a new house in Commack on the main road...pros and cons?

Isn't it a little late to be asking?

I would never buy on a main road and I don't have little kids anymore. I don't want a random car in my yard or someone wrecking my driveway-stored car if they lose control in an accident? Yes, it happened to my boyfriend when I was in high school. Also, forget having a dog because they sometimes get out. Did I mention the noise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2024, 12:36 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by med786 View Post
Hi guys! Bought a new house in Commack on the main road which my husband really wanted but i’m not too happy with it as I have three small kids. Anyone else live on a main road? What are the pros and cons?
The cons are what other posters have mentioned about the increased risk of property damage from an out-of-control vehicle careening into your property from the busy road, the increased risk of one of your children potentially being injured if they were to run out into traffic, and the increased noise (including from trucks, motorcycles, emergency vehicles, etc.) from living next to a busy road.

The pros are that you can generate some revenue from renting the property out to a tenant after you eventually move to a home in a safer location with significantly less traffic, significantly less noise and significantly less risk of property damage and/or personal injury from living on a busy road.

What in the world was your husband thinking buying a house to move into on a busy road with three small children?

And why would you agree to buy and move into said house on busy road with three small children if you personally felt so deeply uncomfortable about the situation?

If you’re (very understandably) feeling so deeply uncomfortable about the situation of living in a house on a busy road, you probably need to constantly and assertively express your discomfort to your husband about the situation until he comes around to your point of view on the situation and decides to either sell the house or rent the house out to some tenants after you move to a home in a location away from a busy road that gives you much less angst.

Old 01-30-2024, 10:01 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetandinlongisland View Post
Hello and how are you? People in forums do say many things can happen on the main road in long island. It is in forums that they have mental health houses and that their are scams even and it can be dangerous for the children. You can read about it in forums and in google also.
What does a mental Health house have to do with Living on a main road? Stop posting these ridiculous things on this website. If you can't contribute any thing that's helpful to the person who started this thread don't say anything at all.

Old 01-30-2024, 11:39 AM

54 posts, read 29,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
I wouldn't be comfortable living on a main road especially with kids. Just the thought of the ball running into the streets and one of my kids running after it would keep me up at night. Not trying to scare you OP but for me this would absolutely be a deal breaker. Is this Indian Head Rd?
No Townline road

Old 01-30-2024, 11:40 AM

54 posts, read 29,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
The cons are what other posters have mentioned about the increased risk of property damage from an out-of-control vehicle careening into your property from the busy road, the increased risk of one of your children potentially being injured if they were to run out into traffic, and the increased noise (including from trucks, motorcycles, emergency vehicles, etc.) from living next to a busy road.

The pros are that you can generate some revenue from renting the property out to a tenant after you eventually move to a home in a safer location with significantly less traffic, significantly less noise and significantly less risk of property damage and/or personal injury from living on a busy road.

What in the world was your husband thinking buying a house to move into on a busy road with three small children?

And why would you agree to buy and move into said house on busy road with three small children if you personally felt so deeply uncomfortable about the situation?

If you’re (very understandably) feeling so deeply uncomfortable about the situation of living in a house on a busy road, you probably need to constantly and assertively express your discomfort to your husband about the situation until he comes around to your point of view on the situation and decides to either sell the house or rent the house out to some tenants after you move to a home in a location away from a busy road that gives you much less angst.

I agree and feel so foolish in allowing this to happen!We just bought it and selling right away won’t help financially at all but definitely in a year or so.

Old 01-30-2024, 12:08 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
did you tell your husband how you felt? Sounds as if you had no say about this house but I could be wrong.

Old 01-30-2024, 12:44 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
People mentioned the noise but it's dirty too. We lived two houses in from a main road that wasn't close to as busy as Town line Road (more like a cut through road at rush hour) and the windows on that side of the house were always dirtier than the others.

Old 01-30-2024, 02:16 PM

5,052 posts, read 3,955,268 times
Noisy, dirty, dangerous.

In a rural part of the country (not Long Island) living on a busy-ish road may mean you are more likely to get timely plowing, electrical line repair, and (perhaps) a quicker trip to town and the highway.

Your mileage will vary.

Old 01-30-2024, 03:50 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Noisy, dirty, dangerous.

In a rural part of the country (not Long Island) living on a busy-ish road may mean you are more likely to get timely plowing, electrical line repair, and (perhaps) a quicker trip to town and the highway.

Your mileage will vary.
Exactly.

Old 01-30-2024, 04:07 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Do you have a fenced in yard? I'd be cautious about any bike riding or being out in front.....But, if you have a febnced in back yard, and have rules about leaving the yard....You sould be ok once the kids are old enough to be cautious on their own. I'd also wnt privacy type fencing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: