Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2024, 10:30 AM

2,607 posts, read 3,416,097 times

Advertisements

For young folks who live at home or have roommates $46k is ok money for an entry level job. What's better $46k or 0k? Companies can't be giving $75k salaries to people right off the bat. They'll go bankrupt. Also that amount doesn't mean you stay there for the rest of your life. I remember when I first started off in my field 20+ years and getting less that $30k a year. I made that work for me.
People need to stop acting so spoiled and entitled. No one is entitled to a $100k salary. You earn that after many years of hard work and and being a good employee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2024, 10:36 AM

1,501 posts, read 779,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
For young folks who live at home or have roommates $46k is ok money for an entry level job. What's better $46k or 0k? Companies can't be giving $75k salaries to people right off the bat. They'll go bankrupt. Also that amount doesn't mean you stay there for the rest of your life. I remember when I first started off in my field 20+ years and getting less that $30k a year. I made that work for me.
People need to stop acting so spoiled and entitled. No one is entitled to a $100k salary. You earn that after many years of hard work and and being a good employee.
That’s fine Just don’t give tax breaks for low paying jobs.

Old 01-01-2024, 11:11 AM

1,302 posts, read 357,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Geeze, enough already. This is why New Yorkers can't have nice things.

The anti-business attitude is unbelievable. Seems like some of you people would tax the air we breathe. And then criticize us for dying from being unable to pay the tax.

Economics 101: Any business is good for a region. Any jobs are good. Any business activity is good.

Suppose someone opens an assembly plant, which it seems like Orbic is planning to do. That plant, which is using an existing building, will probably still need all kinds of rewiring and internal work. Electricians, plasterers and carpenters, furniture, flooring, plumbing. Then, custodial and food service, insurance, security, transportation, office supplies, advertising.

Employees will buy stuff: groceries, consumer electronics, clothing. Some may relocate there, thus moving services, rentals or home purchase, cars, trucks, fuel.

Economic activity is a good thing; it has a ripple effect. It's distressing how cynical and uninformed people can be. Even in pro-business places like Texas, Florida, the Carolinas, Arizona etc., these kinds of tax-the-rich ideologies always pop up. Unionize them! Tax the hell out of them! Punish the capitalists! This is why plants and factories fled the U.S. in the first place.

If salaries are too low and no one's applying, Orbic will raise the offered salaries. If they still can't find anyone, they may have to give up and admit that LI is just too expensive and anti-business (which I could have told them). But I hope they succeed and who knows? It might persuade a few people to be more supportive of businesses. Given the outflow of people and companies from NY, that's not a bad thing.
If you believe that “any” business is good then you don’t know business. One of the key rules in business is knowing which business to turn away. Not all business is created equal.

Old 01-01-2024, 11:34 AM

3,363 posts, read 1,747,839 times
It will fail after a year or so, whoever is doing this is trying to milk some kind of tax incentives or grant then shutdown the operation when they gotten enough government handout.

You cannot outcompete against China's supply chain. Everything you assembly must come from somewhere and it comes from China. What good is importing parts from China and assembling here when it can be done there cheaper with shipping included.

Old 01-01-2024, 03:33 PM

1,345 posts, read 1,686,547 times
I doubt a company with $100m revenue can create 1000 jobs without a lot of subsidy.

Old 01-02-2024, 05:55 AM

6,528 posts, read 3,208,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
It will fail after a year or so, whoever is doing this is trying to milk some kind of tax incentives or grant, then shutdown the operation when they've gotten enough government handout.

You cannot outcompete against China's supply chain. Everything you assembly must come from somewhere and it comes from China. What good is importing parts from China and assembling here when it can be done there cheaper with shipping included.
I agree.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
I doubt a company with $100m revenue can create 1000 jobs without a lot of subsidy.
Very true.

Old 01-02-2024, 10:30 AM

5,300 posts, read 4,793,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
$46k is foodstamps, section 8, & medicare territory in NY.
It’s barely enough to cover rent and car insurance.
*harruuumpfff*
So you what expect them to start entry level factory workers at 75k a year? lol not happening.

"The average college graduate salary in New York is $66,584 per year or $32.01 per hour. Entry level positions start at $48,946 per year while most experienced workers make up to $95,002 per year."

Last edited by peconic117; 01-02-2024 at 10:38 AM..

Old 01-02-2024, 01:09 PM

6,722 posts, read 5,971,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
That’s fine Just don’t give tax breaks for low paying jobs.
Then they'll open a plant in North Carolina or Florida or Texas. Congratulations. You just denied jobs to 500 Long Island workers plus ancillary activity which would bring in tax revenue. Just like the Amazon facility that AOC fought. Well let's look on the bright side; there'll be less traffic and the supermarkets will be less crowded!

Old 01-02-2024, 02:19 PM

20,236 posts, read 20,998,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
So you what expect them to start entry level factory workers at 75k a year? lol not happening.

"The average college graduate salary in New York is $66,584 per year or $32.01 per hour. Entry level positions start at $48,946 per year while most experienced workers make up to $95,002 per year."
There is no definitive answer. Continually raising minimum wage is definitely NOT the answer though.

Old 01-02-2024, 02:36 PM

6,386 posts, read 13,186,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
There is no definitive answer. Continually raising minimum wage is definitely NOT the answer though.

Why not? Minimum wages have to increase as everything else does.
Same as social security benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island