Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2023, 11:07 PM

20,087 posts, read 20,890,524 times

Advertisements

They’ll do the ole bait ‘n switch.
Hire you at “full time” status, but never, ever, let you actually get full time status.
They’ll always max your hours at just under the official full time hours.
So that $45k number is a bogus marketing scam to lure in suckers, I mean employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2023, 08:24 AM

3,529 posts, read 5,713,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
2 million in tax breaks for jobs averaging 46k ?!?! That’s pathetic. Chick fil a fast food workers almost make that .

Ny let nyc run Amazon out who pledged 25k jobs with an average of 150k in salary.
Blame that on AOC

Old 12-31-2023, 09:08 AM

6,471 posts, read 3,167,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
$46k is foodstamps, section 8, & medicare territory in NY.
It’s barely enough to cover rent and car insurance.
*harruuumpfff*
I understand what you're saying, but what's even more distressing is that astronomical inflation has done that to the cost of living. I worked in a rather technical position, retiring a little over 15 years ago, and at the time I left, $50-55K was both a pretty decent annual wage, as well as what a highly skilled job paid....

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Blame that on AOC
Yep, 100%!!!

Old 12-31-2023, 07:53 PM

20,087 posts, read 20,890,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I understand what you're saying, but what's even more distressing is that astronomical inflation has done that to the cost of living. I worked in a rather technical position, retiring a little over 15 years ago, and at the time I left, $50-55K was both a pretty decent annual wage, as well as what a highly skilled job paid....

Yep, 100%!!!
I’m kinda old. Kinda.
I remember when 50k was like really good money.
Now it’s peanuts.

Old 12-31-2023, 09:45 PM

1,302 posts, read 342,865 times
Quote:
2 million in tax breaks for jobs averaging 46k ?!?! That’s pathetic. Chick fil a fast food workers almost make that .

Ny let nyc run Amazon out who pledged 25k jobs with an average of 150k in salary.
$2 million in tax breaks is literally chump change. Sales tax alone on 1,000 jobs will bring back half of that in one year.

Old 12-31-2023, 09:46 PM

1,302 posts, read 342,865 times
Quote:
I’m kinda old. Kinda.
Now it’s peanuts.
$100K per person ($200K household) is literally as middle class as you can get in NY. $46K per person are near poverty wages in NY.

Old 12-31-2023, 10:40 PM

720 posts, read 621,836 times
The Chinese are only coming to line their own pockets and get those big fat tax rebates. They can keep that Chinese junk.

Old 01-01-2024, 05:57 AM

6,471 posts, read 3,167,043 times
Quote:
I’m kinda old. Kinda.
Now it’s peanuts.
I agree. When I first started in the workforce, full time, $10-12K was good money!! I've been retired for a number of years, and I hate to think that at some point in the future, given the rate of inflation, I'd have to re-enter the workforce, to keep a roof over my head or food in my stomach.....

Old 01-01-2024, 09:04 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,946,405 times
Quote:
2 million in tax breaks for jobs averaging 46k ?!?! That’s pathetic. Chick fil a fast food workers almost make that.
Quote:
All tax breaks in the state are related. You don’t think the residents of queensbride nycha development needed the jobs? They really needed it. No one cared about them sadly.

I love how 25k jobs at 4 times the salary gets dismissed. But a 1k jobs at barley over minimum wage is needed.

Don’t forget they are keeping the engineers overseas they said. Cheap labor. But let’s move manufacturing Blame Covid and delays apply for tax breaks to bring barley minimum wage jobs to Long Island. Great company strategy but this shouldn’t be given a tax break.
Quote:
$46k is foodstamps, section 8, & medicare territory in NY.
It’s barely enough to cover rent and car insurance.
*harruuumpfff*
Quote:
They’ll do the ole bait ‘n switch.
Hire you at “full time” status, but never, ever, let you actually get full time status.
They’ll always max your hours at just under the official full time hours.
So that $45k number is a bogus marketing scam to lure in suckers, I mean employees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketyblank View Post
$100K per person ($200K household) is literally as middle class as you can get in NY. $46K per person are near poverty wages in NY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj2013 View Post
The Chinese are only coming to line their own pockets and get those big fat tax rebates. They can keep that Chinese junk.
Geeze, enough already. This is why New Yorkers can't have nice things.

The anti-business attitude is unbelievable. Seems like some of you people would tax the air we breathe. And then criticize us for dying from being unable to pay the tax.

Economics 101: Any business is good for a region. Any jobs are good. Any business activity is good.

Suppose someone opens an assembly plant, which it seems like Orbic is planning to do. That plant, which is using an existing building, will probably still need all kinds of rewiring and internal work. Electricians, plasterers and carpenters, furniture, flooring, plumbing. Then, custodial and food service, insurance, security, transportation, office supplies, advertising.

Employees will buy stuff: groceries, consumer electronics, clothing. Some may relocate there, thus moving services, rentals or home purchase, cars, trucks, fuel.

Economic activity is a good thing; it has a ripple effect. It's distressing how cynical and uninformed people can be. Even in pro-business places like Texas, Florida, the Carolinas, Arizona etc., these kinds of tax-the-rich ideologies always pop up. Unionize them! Tax the hell out of them! Punish the capitalists! This is why plants and factories fled the U.S. in the first place.

If salaries are too low and no one's applying, Orbic will raise the offered salaries. If they still can't find anyone, they may have to give up and admit that LI is just too expensive and anti-business (which I could have told them). But I hope they succeed and who knows? It might persuade a few people to be more supportive of businesses. Given the outflow of people and companies from NY, that's not a bad thing.

Old 01-01-2024, 10:06 AM

1,473 posts, read 764,046 times
“ Employees will buy stuff: groceries, consumer electronics, clothing. Some may relocate there, thus moving services, rentals or home purchase, cars, trucks, fuel.”

For 46k good luck. For 60k I’d be happy to consider tax breaks because now your actually providing some “higher” paying jobs. My point is don’t give tax breaks to low paying jobs. I don’t want to tax the rich I’m the complete opposite.

We should not reward barley minimum wage jobs with tax breaks.

Based on your opinion “ Economics 101: Any business is good for a region. Any jobs are good. Any business activity is good.”

Do you support the pretty much legal prostitution in queens? They use that money to buy all the things you mention. And it’s a job and business for the region ? Do the negatives for the workers involved just don’t matter to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island