Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2023, 06:48 PM

5,295 posts, read 4,777,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
The amount of water on the roads yesterday was incredible! So many local roads were closed.
I'm glad I don't have an electric vehicle - all those deep "puddles" can't be good for the batteries.

My trip from the office, which normally takes between 10-12 minutes, took over an hour because of all the necessary detours
Batteries are sealed and water proof they have to be by law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2023, 06:49 PM

5,295 posts, read 4,777,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
Very true unless it’s salt water. God forbid there’s another sandy/hurricane flooding issue. Don’t risk electric with flooded sea water.
That would destroy any car electric or not

Old 09-30-2023, 08:51 PM

1,472 posts, read 762,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
So would any flood water in a cars interior technically salt or not.

I was agreeing with the electric cars being ok through water vs gas and hydro locking . I was referring to Salt water and ev batteries which have been documented to have suffered from fires in floods.

Old 10-01-2023, 12:53 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,333,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
So would any flood water in a cars interior technically salt or not.

I was agreeing with the electric cars being ok through water vs gas and hydro locking . I was referring to Salt water and ev batteries which have been documented to have suffered from fires in floods.
Salt messes with the battery chemistry. It’s 50/50 but salt water is bad for anything with battery motor or engine.

Old 10-01-2023, 12:00 PM

78,472 posts, read 60,666,856 times
Quote:
^^^This. Don't drive ANY car into water that you don't know isn't very shallow.

Every time you see some car with water most of the way up the engine compartment it's almost certainly totaled.

Old 10-01-2023, 01:27 PM

427 posts, read 155,739 times
99.9% of cars are not designed to drive in deep water. The water will fry the electronics long before your engine takes on water, or possibly swamp your differential. Even engine snorkels aren't fool-proof, they are mostly designed to avoid dust, not to drive in water. There are ways to harden your vehicle against water but you obviously have to do that before you go busting into a flood.

Old 10-01-2023, 06:51 PM

22,676 posts, read 36,826,713 times
I handled auto claims during the December 1992 nor easter. Tons of cars with water damage on the south shore. We made people give up their cars - one guy INSISTED on keeping his - even went to the insurance department. BMW of course. We took off a TON of salvage - at least 50% of the value - and let him keep it.

About 6 months later he had another claim. I happened to get it. I said "I remember you - how's the other car?" He was silent for about 30 seconds and then he said " I should have listened to you. I had to junk it the following month. I was out all that salvage value".

Cars do not survive floods. Period.

Old 10-01-2023, 07:03 PM

31,931 posts, read 27,028,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
^^^This. Don't drive ANY car into water that you don't know isn't very shallow.

Every time you see some car with water most of the way up the engine compartment it's almost certainly totaled.
Thing is most drivers simply cannot guess or otherwise figure out how deep water is, so they start driving through and then fun starts.

If you live in an area you soon learn which roads/streets are best avoided. Water doesn't have to be deep as some would imagine to take out one's ride either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=de...BP4&theme=dark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x5aR0Tzzow

Old 10-01-2023, 07:04 PM

31,931 posts, read 27,028,526 times
Quote:
Oh I don't know; this driver's Telsa went through flood waters as if it were a puddle and came out other side. However we don't know if there were any later consequences for said action.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/LYndLcEn_LU

Apparently Lamborghinis aren't bothered either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w30ZVPbmgUE

Old 10-02-2023, 06:55 AM

17,351 posts, read 22,090,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Oh I don't know; this driver's Telsa went through flood waters as if it were a puddle and came out other side. However we don't know if there were any later consequences for said action.

Apparently Lamborghinis aren't bothered either.

Could be an insurance job too! Tired of payments, go drown the Lambo and get a new car.

Fort Lauderdale had record flooding last year, people knew the roads were flooded but drove right through high water anyway. Ruin the motor and electronics and insurance company pays off the car and you get another one. Especially in a leased vehicle, there is really no loss to the driver............go get a new one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island