Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 11:04 AM

9,909 posts, read 6,623,087 times

Advertisements

Just thought I'd point out how Houston's floods reach the front cover of every newspaper, and goes completely viral, while Louisiana's recent flood which is much, much, much worse seems to be under the radar. I'm not saying Houston's flood didn't negatively effect the city, but the recent Louisiana flood damages makes Houston's flood laughable. Yet that flood doesn't go no where near as mainstream as Houston's flood.

Again, I'm not saying Houston's flood didn't cause damages. But currently in Baton Rouge, there are so many people who just lost their house. I know a lot more people from Houston, yet I haven't met anyone in Houston that completely lost their house yet, and out of everyone I know from Baton Rouge, only one person can say his house is currently inhabitable. This makes me wonder, why is it that when Houston floods, the world thinks the apocalypse is happening in Houston, and central Louisiana's flood which is much worse continues to be under the radar.

Edit: Since it seems to I made it unclear, I am referring to Houston's floods around April versus the recent Louisiana flood in August.

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 08-16-2016 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: Clarifying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 11:05 AM

45,444 posts, read 60,653,733 times
Here in Maryland I didn't even hear about Houston while the local news has Louisiana as the first or second story.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:06 AM

470 posts, read 455,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Just thought I'd point out how Houston's floods reach the front cover of every newspaper, and goes completely viral, while Louisiana's recent flood which is much, much, much worse seems to be under the radar. I'm not saying Houston's flood didn't negatively effect the city, but the recent Louisiana flood damages makes Houston's flood laughable. Yet that flood doesn't go no where near as mainstream as Houston's flood.

Again, I'm not saying Houston's flood didn't cause damages. But currently in Baton Rouge, there are so many people who just lost their house. I know a lot more people from Houston, yet I haven't met anyone in Houston that completely lost their house yet, and out of everyone I know from Baton Rouge, only one person can say his house is currently inhabitable. This makes me wonder, why is it that when Houston floods, the world thinks the apocalypse is happening in Houston, and central Louisiana's flood which is much worse continues to be under the radar.
Louisiana's flood is getting lots of press.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:11 AM

676 posts, read 932,970 times
The media here in Houston is just busy talking about the conditions here, thats why you are not seeing as much about the worse conditions in Louisiana. Nationally, Louisiana is getting more coverage than Houston right now.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:17 AM

470 posts, read 455,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeme View Post
The media here in Houston is just busy talking about the conditions here, thats why you are not seeing as much about the worse conditions in Louisiana. Nationally, Louisiana is getting more coverage than Houston right now.
He might be referencing the flooding that happened in Houston during April vs Louisiana's August flooding.

Last edited by VIRAL; 08-16-2016 at 12:22 PM..

Old 08-16-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeme View Post
I'm just saying, in April, literally everyone I know which extends from Colorado to out the country were asking about the flood, and none of them heard about the recent Louisiana flood.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAL View Post
He might be referencing the flooding that happend in Houston during April vs Louisiana's August flooding.
This is exactly what I was referencing.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:38 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,665,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAL View Post
He might be referencing the flooding that happend in Houston during April vs Louisiana's August flooding.
My guess is because Houston is a major city/airport location/etc.

That said, we had friends and family from the east coast call and ask if we were getting affected by the same storms from Louisiana. So obviously they have heard abou the recent floods out there.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:39 AM

45,444 posts, read 60,653,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
This is exactly what I was referencing.
Ok. Houston's flooding was a story here then, also.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:53 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,225,370 times
yea but around here in houston we all know about how bad gulf coast flooding can be. I used to visit baton rouge monthly for a few years and i have yet to see any pictures shown of anything i reconise. They are showing denham springs a lot which is right down i-12 from baton rouge and i never visited there much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: