Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2023, 03:27 AM

3,288 posts, read 2,357,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
A blow out front tire doesn’t usually take the bus off the road like that. So I wonder what happened. I’m sure investigators know more.
If you hold the wheel, even with a blow out you can still hold it together more or less and slow down.
You don’t know that until you are in that situation I had a blow out in my car once and it was tough to stay in control or not go off the road. I would imagine that would be magnified 10 fold on a huge bus weighing far more. If it were a road like here on LI where there is always a wall dividing the oncoming lanes, it could have been a simple scratch and dent accident. But that was not the case. I wouldn’t blame the driver unless she fell asleep, not qualified to derive a bus or was impaired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2023, 08:11 AM

3,520 posts, read 5,701,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Why would anyone sue the district? That is absurd. Is it Farmingdale’s School District’s fault for having a music program that everyone loved and brought enthusiasm to many of the students. Why not sue Henry ford for mass producing automobiles or Eisenhower for investing in the major interstate highways? Never ceases to amaze me how people try to find fault in everything. Maybe it is just a blown tire. Sometimes, there is no one to blame other than something out of anyone’s control. This is as ridiculous as suing gun manufacturers for someone getting shot.
meant to say ARENT

Old 09-30-2023, 08:24 AM

“It’s a topic that has come up over and over,” Wang said. “I know that motor coaches are the safest mode of transportation … these things don’t happen a lot, so nobody has really made it an issue.”

He then considered the horrific crash last week.

“Then again … with crashes like this,” Wang added, “you have to wonder what the next law will be.”

From newsday....

Of course the Democrats response will be more laws......

While the accident is tragic... we dont even know what happened yet or what caused it. yes some kids appeared to have been ejected from the bus, but with the way the bus rolled over, could they have been crushed if they were wearing seat belts?

Whats will be next? Seat belts on trains? LIRR? Amtrak?

Old 09-30-2023, 08:46 AM

5,813 posts, read 2,940,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
You don’t know that until you are in that situation I had a blow out in my car once and it was tough to stay in control or not go off the road. I would imagine that would be magnified 10 fold on a huge bus weighing far more. If it were a road like here on LI where there is always a wall dividing the oncoming lanes, it could have been a simple scratch and dent accident. But that was not the case. I wouldn’t blame the driver unless she fell asleep, not qualified to derive a bus or was impaired.
I’m no expert on buses and trucks. Perhaps someone can chime in.
I thought that the weight of the bus and long wheel base would keep the bus going forward with obvious force pulling left or right. It’s up to the driver to keep it going in line till stop.

This almost feels like a ball joint failure or steering knuckle or something along those lines.

Old 09-30-2023, 08:49 AM

5,813 posts, read 2,940,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
“It’s a topic that has come up over and over,” Wang said. “I know that motor coaches are the safest mode of transportation … these things don’t happen a lot, so nobody has really made it an issue.”

He then considered the horrific crash last week.

“Then again … with crashes like this,” Wang added, “you have to wonder what the next law will be.”

From newsday....

Of course the Democrats response will be more laws......

While the accident is tragic... we dont even know what happened yet or what caused it. yes some kids appeared to have been ejected from the bus, but with the way the bus rolled over, could they have been crushed if they were wearing seat belts?

Whats will be next? Seat belts on trains? LIRR? Amtrak?
Trains don’t have other traffic around them, they stay on rails.
Buses have other vehicles around them.
I wore seatbelts when on a big bus during travels. I don’t trust the condition of any driver if it’s not me.

Old 09-30-2023, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Trains don’t have other traffic around them, they stay on rails.
Buses have other vehicles around them.
I wore seatbelts when on a big bus during travels. I don’t trust the condition of any driver if it’s not me.
I take it you have never been in a train that has hit something..... you get tossed

Old 10-03-2023, 06:14 PM

Well... someone is suing the district now....

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...-case-mrpwbyr5

Suing your own district is suing yourself and all your neighbors...... where do you think any money comes from?
District money is their money...

Old 10-05-2023, 08:58 AM

427 posts, read 154,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Well... someone is suing the district now....

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...-case-mrpwbyr5

Suing your own district is suing yourself and all your neighbors...... where do you think any money comes from?
District money is their money...
Since when do people have a problem taking money from others in their community and giving it to themselves? There are several major political parties built on that very foundation.

In any event, let's pick apart that article a bit...

Quote:
The Tuesday filing also appears to be the first to put a specific monetary value on the damage caused by the crash: $10 million for injuries including broken bones, head wounds and disfigurement to a 14-year-old freshman saxophone player, along with $2 million for damages to her parents and the cost of her medical and psychological care.
These numbers are nonsense. Certain legal papers require plaintiffs to enumerate their sought damages, and they're always way higher than what the case is actually worth, since they serve more as a cap than a true demand. I don't know this specific case other than what's in the article, but lawyers also play fast and loose with their alleged damages. Broken bones could mean anything from an avulsion (aka "chip") fracture to a shattered femur that required extensive surgical repair, and everything in between. "Disfigurement" could mean a small cut on the face, a surgical scar, or looking like the guy from Mask.

Future medical care for a kid with a broken bone is usually trash; does anyone remember breaking bones as a kid and having millions of dollars worth of future medical expenses as a result? We're not talking about someone who was left paralyzed here. Plaintiff PI lawyers hire some hack "expert" to calculate some ridiculous future medical expenses. E.g., this person will need an MRI every year for life and a nurse and $500,000 in home exercise equipment and a 24/7 morphine drip and a group home to live in when they're older because of a broken ankle. Oh, and Timmy can't take out the garbage anymore so we calculate that to be worth $100 per week until age 30 when Table 3.2 shows he's likely to move out.

Quote:
Farmingdale “recklessly” failed to tell parents that Regency had been placed by New York State “in the unacceptable rated category of bus operators” and failed to ensure the bus was “safely and properly owned,” the filing alleges. It also alleges the district did not properly train personnel in safety procedures and did not require students to wear seat belts.
This is boilerplate plaintiff's PI stuff. Whether or not the bus company was in the "unacceptable rated" category of operators isn't dispositive of anything, if they were only that list for reasons other than what the cause of this accident was. They could have been on there for lousy recordkeeping, for example. Apparently this particular bus was just purchased this year, and had already passed two state inspections. In layman's terms, you can't use evidence that they had another bus that was a piece of crap as evidence that this particular bus was a piece of crap.

Quote:
In an interview, Robinson said Regency said the district also “allowed these kids to be transported with a company that didn’t even have good insurance — they had terrible insurance.”
Haha, now we get to why they're really suing the district: the bus company doesn't have enough insurance to pay out $12M in farcical claims.

Viz. the district, based on what is presently known, this sounds like a money grab. Most likely the bus carrier didn't have a massive $25M excess/umbrella policy, and since there are going to be multiple people suing, they want to expand the case to include the district's piggybank.

As an aside, the ultimate reason for this is that accidents happen, and moreso when your society is in an accelerated state of decay. There is a massive shortage of bus drivers, costs for said drivers and buses have gone way up due to fuel costs, insane PI lawsuits, insurance costs, poor road conditions, the roads being filled with uninsured illegal aliens, etc.

I liken it to the meat processing industry. To keep costs down, these companies have been gradually raising the speed of the processing lines, and as they do so, you have two effects - one, there are lots more injuries. Two, there is greater contamination of the food, since you've increased the rate of errors, and are now employing people you imported from Somalia with beer temperature IQs to do the work since Mexicans won't do it anymore. All this so that your Thanksgiving turkey doesn't go up much in price from year to year. It's all unsustainable, and like the recent rash of train derailments all over the country, we're going to see more of it as things get worse and worse.

Last edited by Powell on Property; 10-05-2023 at 09:09 AM..

Old 10-07-2023, 10:41 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
Long Ago in Manhasset , at the end of The Miracle Mile , B. Altman's had a huge cement wall which dropped down all the way to Northern Blvd .
Kids jumped off it all the time. One was my brother who broke his arm .
No one even THOUGHT (in the fifties) of suing the town of Manhasset or B. Altman's .

I guess things are different today .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 10-07-2023, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Long Ago in Manhasset , at the end of The Miracle Mile , B. Altman's had a huge cement wall which dropped down all the way to Northern Blvd .
Kids jumped off it all the time. One was my brother who broke his arm .
No one even THOUGHT (in the fifties) of suing the town of Manhasset or B. Altman's .

I guess things are different today .
welcome to the world of sue everyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: