Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2023, 08:45 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,775,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
I second All Weather Tires.
Family business. Have been going there for decades and always happy with their prices.
They've been around forever!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2023, 10:36 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj2013 View Post
Stay away from Mavis. Mavis scam like many other shops is they magically find things wrong with your car to drum up business and fork over sky high bills
They do but I never fall for it. They said my car needed breaks too. I already new that but my husband was changing them the following week and the guy was like "I don't know if you should wait that long" I said it's fine my husband knows what he's doing. That's the one thing my husband cannot do is mount new tires. he does not have the equipment for that.

Old 09-07-2023, 10:00 PM

730 posts, read 1,656,863 times
Mavis does have a central office that you can call and negotiate the price on tires and then they send that information to the location you request. This makes it easier than negotiating with the manager of the facility.

Old 09-08-2023, 09:14 AM

718 posts, read 619,177 times
Mavis may have a central office but that does not eliminate the problem that they will look to fleece you with unnecessary costly repairs . It's a routine they do all they with customers,, this is worn, this needs to be replaced, this is out of spec.. if you dont fix tour car will self destruct blah blah blah.

And just coincidentally they can ”fix” all these problems.

Old 09-08-2023, 10:04 AM

11,428 posts, read 5,967,061 times
I buy tires online from Tire Rack. They will deliver to a local installer for mounting on your wheels. I research the best tires for my car, weather, and driving style then I order them off Tire Rack. The best thing is the massive selection. I am not just stuck with whatever crappy tires a local store is trying to push.

https://www.tirerack.com/content/tir.../en/tires.html

Old 09-08-2023, 11:19 AM

4,196 posts, read 4,079,693 times
I priced some tires on the Mavis Tires website and went to the local store. The manager was very nice and said he had to order them and they would arrive in a few days. I asked him what the final price would be because they often add additional fees to a tire purchase and the manager showed me the final “out the door” price including tax on his computer screen. I agreed and gave him a credit card number but it wasn’t charged at that time. A few days later Mavis called and when I went back the manager I dealt with was off that day. The guy working rang up the order and it was over $100 more than the out the door price I was shown. I asked him why it was more than “Sal” had shown me and they added tire valves for $25 and an $80 wheel alignment. They wouldn’t budge on the higher price although they agreed to skip the wheel alignment but then they wouldn’t offer an extended warranty on the tires. Putting on new tires does not require a wheel alignment unless the wheels are already out of alignment.

I still didn’t like the $25 valve charge so I left and called the corporate headquarters and explained I was given one “final” price when I got the quote and a higher price when I went to buy them. They called the store and told them to give me new valves without charge.

The tires are good but it was a hassle to buy them.

Old 09-09-2023, 08:04 AM

730 posts, read 1,656,863 times
Quote:
Mavis may have a central office but that does not eliminate the problem that they will look to fleece you with unnecessary costly repairs . It's a routine they do all they with customers,, this is worn, this needs to be replaced, this is out of spec.. if you dont fix tour car will self destruct blah blah blah.

And just coincidentally they can ”fix” all these problems.

I just go there to buy tires - no repairs. Same with Jiffy Lube - just change the oil using the the grade I specify, not what your system calls for.

Old 09-09-2023, 08:56 AM

718 posts, read 619,177 times
Just into Costco they usually carry Michelin which is the best anyway
. You never have to worry about price and quote games

Sometimes there is also free installation..

All those Mavis and similar places do all day is play head games with people and paid the bill in their favor to drum up business.

Also stay away from Mercedes Benz of massapequa. Another major con artist operation that actually breaks things on your car in the service dept to drum up gigantic repair bills.

You can go there for a simple oil change and they will give you an auto check estimate with bills over 10k dollars in a car that drove perfectly fine when you bought it in. The place is a pure sleezeball dishonest operation.

Just my two cents

Old 09-09-2023, 09:55 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,326,385 times
Quote:
Just into Costco they usually carry Michelin which is the best anyway
. You never have to worry about price and quote games

Sometimes there is also free installation..

All those Mavis and similar places do all day is play head games with people and paid the bill in their favor to drum up business.

Also stay away from Mercedes Benz of massapequa. Another major con artist operation that actually breaks things on your car in the service dept to drum up gigantic repair bills.

You can go there for a simple oil change and they will give you an auto check estimate with bills over 10k dollars in a car that drove perfectly fine when you bought it in. The place is a pure sleezeball dishonest operation.

Just my two cents
Huntington Toyota passed my car for inspection 3 years in a row with a crack in side view mirror. Magically it then failed and they refused to accept the get any service (oil change) get $1 inspection coupon. I actually had a replacement mirror in my trunk they wanted $400. I swapped it in the parking lot took me 20 min. I keep a small toolbox in my trunk. They had the balls to charge me $10 for a reinspection. That was las time I went there. It pissed me off so much a year later I got a new car and for the 1st time in a decade we didn’t get a Toyota or Lexus.

Old 09-09-2023, 02:48 PM

106,593 posts, read 108,757,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Huntington Toyota passed my car for inspection 3 years in a row with a crack in side view mirror. Magically it then failed and they refused to accept the get any service (oil change) get $1 inspection coupon. I actually had a replacement mirror in my trunk they wanted $400. I swapped it in the parking lot took me 20 min. I keep a small toolbox in my trunk. They had the balls to charge me $10 for a reinspection. That was las time I went there. It pissed me off so much a year later I got a new car and for the 1st time in a decade we didn’t get a Toyota or Lexus.
i just bought a 2023 lexus rx500h sport hybrid ..we have it about 6 weeks now and love it …it’s one second slower in the zero to 60 then the porsche macan we were going to get
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island