Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 06:54 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times

Advertisements

Correct me if Im wrong but isnt a ton of wood pellets around $200-250? If thats the case, it would be a great SUPPLEMENT to a oil fired system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 08:12 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,544,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Correct me if Im wrong but isnt a ton of wood pellets around $200-250? If thats the case, it would be a great SUPPLEMENT to a oil fired system.
I agree......better than a pile of dirty coal.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:05 PM

55 posts, read 180,915 times
Some good info here guys. I had national grid come over this weekend to give my wife and I an estimate. $8300 total excluding the chimney liner which he said would be another $1000-$1500. This is simply too much for us to justify and I have a sneaky feeling that National grid is going to start taking advantage of the great situation they have landed in with their newfound customers.
Right now we have a 40 year old burner that has averaged 1100 gallons of use the past 2 years. I am in the process of getting my third estimate for a buderas oil burner with a 94% effeciency rating. The cost for this installation will be in the $5000 to $7000 range and to top it off in the future I could have them install a gas gun onto it for $1400 to switch to gas If oil prices got out of control. This seems to me the better option than having national grid put in a crap burner for a huge price. Also the cost of the gas installation has nothing to do with the distance (we are within 100ft).

Old 06-16-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max7418 View Post
Some good info here guys. I had national grid come over this weekend to give my wife and I an estimate. $8300 total excluding the chimney liner which he said would be another $1000-$1500. This is simply too much for us to justify and I have a sneaky feeling that National grid is going to start taking advantage of the great situation they have landed in with their newfound customers.
Right now we have a 40 year old burner that has averaged 1100 gallons of use the past 2 years. I am in the process of getting my third estimate for a buderas oil burner with a 94% effeciency rating. The cost for this installation will be in the $5000 to $7000 range and to top it off in the future I could have them install a gas gun onto it for $1400 to switch to gas If oil prices got out of control. This seems to me the better option than having national grid put in a crap burner for a huge price. Also the cost of the gas installation has nothing to do with the distance (we are within 100ft).
You do not have to use National Grid & that is too expensive....you can do much better with pricing from a lic. plumber/hvac.

If you have a clay liner & if its in good condition, you can hold off on the flue insert.

Buderas boilers are the best of the best if sticking with oil. Typically the install will be much closer to the $7000 range if not more.

What type of boiler was National quoting you on?

How long do plan on being in the home?

Whats the plan for domestic hot water ?

Old 06-17-2008, 12:37 PM

73 posts, read 292,456 times
Quote:
Thanks for the followup Max7418! I'm about to close on a house with oil heat (gas line is in the street and less than 100 ft from house) and because the oil burner is old (clay lining in the bioler is falling apart!), I was considering converting this summer. The house has 2 - 275 gallon tanks in the basement though so I was considering waiting a year and stocking up for this winter but the smell of oil was noticable when I first looked at the house a few months ago when the heat was still on.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
You do not have to use National Grid & that is too expensive....you can do much better with pricing from a lic. plumber/hvac.

If you have a clay liner & if its in good condition, you can hold off on the flue insert.

Buderas boilers are the best of the best if sticking with oil. Typically the install will be much closer to the $7000 range if not more.

What type of boiler was National quoting you on?

How long do plan on being in the home?

Whats the plan for domestic hot water ?
Kb,

It was their basic bottom of the line boiler. The cost was $899 and the efficiency was 79%. They can do better boilers but the cost is more. I do realize a plumber will be cheaper but I wanted to start with the quote from them as my base line then get more estimates. I might be in the home for 5 years or more but who knows. Domestic hot water would be a buderas hot water heater. The first quote I got was for both the burner and hot water heater installed was at $6800. I have another guy coming over today and he is giving me an estimate for the buderas combo as well as a high effiency gas setup.
The national grid salesman itemized the cost of installation. Labor alone was $3000. Removing the old oil tank and burner was another $1200 and the cost of the burner was $900. I realize I am missing some of the costs(I just cant remember) but I was turned off by his attitude and the fact that national grid originally quoted me 4-$6000 over the phone. I was a little shocked with $8300 plus a chimney liner. I really don't see how I can go wrong with the buderas this year for oil with the option of putting on the $1400 gas gun if I ever want to switch to gas. I continue to look at options and will get many estimates for various setups. The most important thing to me besides price is that the installer is very familiar with the burner he puts in and can service it if it has problems. If you know anyone in the farmingdale area who does good work I'm all ears. TY.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by napjester666 View Post
Thanks for the followup Max7418! I'm about to close on a house with oil heat (gas line is in the street and less than 100 ft from house) and because the oil burner is old (clay lining in the bioler is falling apart!), I was considering converting this summer. The house has 2 - 275 gallon tanks in the basement though so I was considering waiting a year and stocking up for this winter but the smell of oil was noticable when I first looked at the house a few months ago when the heat was still on.
Nap,
Your in the same position as I am so I will let you and other members know what happens to my estimates and installation. My tank is outside above ground so I don't have the smell issues. Good luck.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:30 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,508,949 times
Nap, is the oil leaking from the tanks in the basement, or did your inspector find something else???

Old 06-17-2008, 03:38 PM

73 posts, read 292,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmycuties View Post
Nap, is the oil leaking from the tanks in the basement, or did your inspector find something else???
There was a slight smell only in the basement when the boiler was running but I don't smell anything now that the boiler isn't running (and it still has oil in it). The inspection service said there's nothing wrong with the oil tanks and the smell was probably from the oil burning in the old burner (looks like it's over 30 yrs old!). It's probably a no brainer to do the conversion sooner than later just because of the inefficiency of that boiler (even though the hot water tank looks to be about 5 yrs old).
I'll also have to price out cutting up those 2 tanks to get them out of the house. That's a lot of valuable space I plan on reclaiming!

Old 06-17-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Kb,

It was their basic bottom of the line boiler. The cost was $899 and the efficiency was 79%. They can do better boilers but the cost is more. I do realize a plumber will be cheaper but I wanted to start with the quote from them as my base line then get more estimates. I might be in the home for 5 years or more but who knows. Domestic hot water would be a buderas hot water heater. The first quote I got was for both the burner and hot water heater installed was at $6800. I have another guy coming over today and he is giving me an estimate for the buderas combo as well as a high effiency gas setup.
The national grid salesman itemized the cost of installation. Labor alone was $3000. Removing the old oil tank and burner was another $1200 and the cost of the burner was $900. I realize I am missing some of the costs(I just cant remember) but I was turned off by his attitude and the fact that national grid originally quoted me 4-$6000 over the phone. I was a little shocked with $8300 plus a chimney liner. I really don't see how I can go wrong with the buderas this year for oil with the option of putting on the $1400 gas gun if I ever want to switch to gas. I continue to look at options and will get many estimates for various setups. The most important thing to me besides price is that the installer is very familiar with the burner he puts in and can service it if it has problems. If you know anyone in the farmingdale area who does good work I'm all ears. TY.
Well you can't go wrong with a Buderas system but I'm still a big fan of gas. If installing gas, purchase a Weil-Mclain or a Burnham both great boilers.

Also a very good time to put 5/8 in fire code sheetrock above the boiler is there is nothing up there. Go to Home Deport & have it there so when they pull the old boiler, you can install it. Plumbers never do this, drives me nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island