Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 04:29 PM

352 posts, read 387,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
I would just swap out the boiler for a gas boiler. Pumps last a while but at 15 years old, you could convince me to swap them out.

There is ZERO reason to get a new SS indirect fired storage tank.

I would raise the unit up a bit, good idea.

Get a standard boiler, Weil McLain or Burnham. My issues with exotic boilers are many. but its really like installing a Ferrari engine in a Ford Taurus. The money differance would be best spent in insulation and weatherization. Adding a outdoor boiler reset too.
Are you saying the outdoor boiler reset is a good idea or do you mean it's like the Ferrari in a Taurus anology?
My layman's understading of the outdoor reset is that it can be used to lower the boiler water temperature as the outdoor air get warmer. I also thought these could be used with exotic modulating boilers where they would reduce the actual gas flow to produce a smaller, less hot flame and have less short-cycling. In a conventional setup I guess they would vary the aquastat setting depending on outdoor temp, but the BTU ouput of the burner would remain constant. But wouldn't you have to be carefull that the return water to the boiler might become so cool that condensation may form on a boiler heat exchanger not designed for it, leading to corrosion?

Thank you for the helpful advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 04:53 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,967,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
I would just swap out the boiler for a gas boiler. Pumps last a while but at 15 years old, you could convince me to swap them out.

There is ZERO reason to get a new SS indirect fired storage tank.

I would raise the unit up a bit, good idea.

Get a standard boiler, Weil McLain or Burnham. My issues with exotic boilers are many. but its really like installing a Ferrari engine in a Ford Taurus. The money differance would be best spent in insulation and weatherization. Adding a outdoor boiler reset too.
My thinking was the high efficiency boiler was less than the conventional type. The quotes I got were $10,000, which included a boiler and indirect water tank. The conventional boiler quotes were $8,000-8,500 but also required a chimney liner at $1,500. Plus, at the time there was an energy tax credit, of $1,500.

I don't know if there are tax credits this year or utility rebates, but one should check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island