Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 12:31 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,547,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbure9x View Post
so, would it be accurate to say that unless I got a super high efficiency gas boiler during the conversion that I would actually use MORE total gas than oil with my current system, thus negating some of the savings?
Well, not more gas than oil but to switch a system based soley on the current price of oil verse gas is not a good enough reason to convert. If you told me that you never have your oil system maintained or you had a very old system or you had a separate hot water heater, then you can boost your savings and shorten your pay back period.

Fuel oil = 139,000 BTU's per gallon
Nat gas= 100,000 BTU's per Therm

Therm is about $1.60 per therm so gas costs about $2.14 for the same amount of heat produced by 1 gallon of heating oil. So it maybe worth it as long as the prices stay the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 12:43 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,165,351 times
Excellant post and info. KB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Well, not more gas than oil but to switch a system based soley on the current price of oil verse gas is not a good enough reason to convert. If you told me that you never have your oil system maintained or you had a very old system or you had a separate hot water heater, then you can boost your savings and shorten your pay back period.

Fuel oil = 139,000 BTU's per gallon
Nat gas= 100,000 BTU's per Therm

Therm is about $1.60 per therm so gas costs about $2.14 for the same amount of heat produced by 1 gallon of heating oil. So it maybe worth it as long as the prices stay the same.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:18 PM

5,525 posts, read 7,116,718 times
That fixed price of 4.69 for oil quoted yesterday is $5.29 today!

I'm doing ok, but my heart goes out to all the families who are struggling. It's going to be a choice for them whether to heat thier homes or buy groceries.

Something has to happen as this can't go on.

Thanks for your input, I have a full tank of oil now and when it's empty I'm making the switch.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:30 PM

Holy sh*t!!! Wow. Unbelievable! I have a camp in Pa and the propane is not much better $4.29 a gallon! Youre right, this winter there is going to be alot of cold people. I feel really bad for the people just getting by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
That fixed price of 4.69 for oil quoted yesterday is $5.29 today!

I'm doing ok, but my heart goes out to all the families who are struggling. It's going to be a choice for them whether to heat thier homes or buy groceries.

Something has to happen as this can't go on.

Thanks for your input, I have a full tank of oil now and when it's empty I'm making the switch.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:37 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,262,284 times
If this holds up, I think a lot of people are going to keep their thermostats at 58 degrees, and strategically use space heaters around their houses. We will get to the point where electric heat is cheaper than oil heat.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:54 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,518,481 times
Default This site has a calculator

Compare Fuel Costs (http://www.pelletheat.org/3/residential/compareFuel.cfm - broken link)

Geared toward promoting wood pellets...it allows you to input current prices and the output is how much 1 million BTU's cost you. Electricity is still king with LIPA's ridiculous rates here on LI...but at $4.50 - $5 a gallon for oil its catching up quick.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
If this holds up, I think a lot of people are going to keep their thermostats at 58 degrees, and strategically use space heaters around their houses. We will get to the point where electric heat is cheaper than oil heat.
Which just increases the risk of fire.............space heaters are very dangerous.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Holy sh*t!!! Wow. Unbelievable! I have a camp in Pa and the propane is not much better $4.29 a gallon! Youre right, this winter there is going to be alot of cold people. I feel really bad for the people just getting by.

Propane is 92,000 BTU per gallon verse 139,000 BTU per gallon of heating oil so you need 1.51 gallons of propane to equal 1 gallon of heating oil.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
Compare Fuel Costs (http://www.pelletheat.org/3/residential/compareFuel.cfm - broken link)

Geared toward promoting wood pellets...it allows you to input current prices and the output is how much 1 million BTU's cost you. Electricity is still king with LIPA's ridiculous rates here on LI...but at $4.50 - $5 a gallon for oil its catching up quick.
Interesting but very skewed due to distribution of heat in the structure. Also 1 million BTU's of wood pellets is 125 pounds........need alot of room for storage. 125 pounds of wood pellets is about 7.2 gallons of heating oil. So you would need to buy almost 2.5 TONS of wood pellets to equal 1 tank of fuel oil.

Wood pellets fo have a niche in the market, just not as primary heat sourse. Reminds me of the coal & wood stoves of the 1970's.

I remember my neighbor bought 10 tons of coal in 1974, evidently he had NO idea how much coal he bought until it was dumped and covered his front yard....lol! As a kid, we climbed to the top of the mound & got covered in coal dust. Mom......not happy!

Old 05-23-2008, 06:51 AM

Yeah KB, Im aware of the input and output differences. But the system is already in place and its not worth ripping out and converting. The heat is only on maybe 6 times a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Propane is 92,000 BTU per gallon verse 139,000 BTU per gallon of heating oil so you need 1.51 gallons of propane to equal 1 gallon of heating oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island