Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 08:53 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,546,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbure9x View Post
How much does the conversion generally cost? If you have a relatively new oil burner (about 10 years old), is the cost involved in converting justified, because none of the negatives of oil heat should be affecting me (minus price), as long as I tune up the boiler each year. I have no oil smell in my home at all.

For example, if you spent $6000 on the conversion and $2000 per year in gas heat versus perhaps $3000 per year in oil heat, that would be 6 years before you made your money back from the conversion.

Of course, if the price of oil becomes upwards of $6-7 in the future, then of course the equation changes.
$5000-7000 depending on several issues. How do you make your domestic hot water. Pay back, in your case, is 7-9 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 09:27 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,164,033 times
A coworker just got off the phone with National Grid. They gave him a quote for converting to nat. gas. Everyone's situation will be different depending on where the main gas line is located. He has a gas main in the street and his quote was as followed:
$5300 for the run to the house and the hook up.
A 80% efficient H.W. boiler for $600.(baseline boiler, standing pilot)
I dont think this number is that bad. But I would look into getting an upgrade on the boiler.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:50 AM

208 posts, read 913,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
$5000-7000 depending on several issues. How do you make your domestic hot water. Pay back, in your case, is 7-9 years.
I have an indirect system? I think that's what it's called. The oil burner makes the hot water, but there is a large water tank next to it, which is not a water heater. I always hear the burner going off after we take a shower, but only for a few minutes.

My system is a Weil McLean Gold Oil that the engineer told me was about 10 years old at the inpection, which is why I am having a hard time thinking about getting rid of it, he said it's a great burner and it's so relatively new. Of course $6+ oil might make my decision a lot easier.

Obviously right now gas is cheaper, but who's to say it will remain as cheap as it is compared to oil? I do have gas in my street, so that is a good thing, if and when the time comes. But if I want to get a similar boiler to the one I have now, how much extra will that cost?

Old 05-22-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
A coworker just got off the phone with National Grid. They gave him a quote for converting to nat. gas. Everyone's situation will be different depending on where the main gas line is located. He has a gas main in the street and his quote was as followed:
$5300 for the run to the house and the hook up.
A 80% efficient H.W. boiler for $600.(baseline boiler, standing pilot)
I dont think this number is that bad. But I would look into getting an upgrade on the boiler.
80% AFLUE is horrible........i would recommend a 90%/prices sound about right.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
I have an indirect system? I think that's what it's called. The oil burner makes the hot water, but there is a large water tank next to it, which is not a water heater. I always hear the burner going off after we take a shower, but only for a few minutes.

My system is a Weil McLean Gold Oil that the engineer told me was about 10 years old at the inpection, which is why I am having a hard time thinking about getting rid of it, he said it's a great burner and it's so relatively new. Of course $6+ oil might make my decision a lot easier.

Obviously right now gas is cheaper, but who's to say it will remain as cheap as it is compared to oil? I do have gas in my street, so that is a good thing, if and when the time comes. But if I want to get a similar boiler to the one I have now, how much extra will that cost?

Well you have a very good system right now.....you will reuse the indirect storage tank and most of what is there. In your case the pay back will be longer, 10-15 years or longer. Tough call......maybe add another oil tank to buy when oil is low and buying more you may save some. If you have the room. I heard you can get better deals when ordering 550 gallions verse 275 and you can stock up alittle. Annual maint. with oil is critical. With that, I'm still a gas fan

Old 05-22-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Well you have a very good system right now.....you will reuse the indirect storage tank and most of what is there. In your case the pay back will be longer, 10-15 years or longer. Tough call......maybe add another oil tank to buy when oil is low and buying more you may save some. If you have the room. I heard you can get better deals when ordering 550 gallions verse 275 and you can stock up alittle. Annual maint. with oil is critical. With that, I'm still a gas fan
what is the reason my pay back would be longer? I wish I had gas, it is a lot easier to worry about at the very least. How much would it cost to install a second oil tank, that is an interesting idea. Hell, put 5 of them in your basement, buy the oil now, store it, and then sell it to other people for a profit down the road....hmmmm....no seriously, I am just looking to minimize my costs, I don't have the cajones to do something like that

Old 05-22-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
what is the reason my pay back would be longer? I wish I had gas, it is a lot easier to worry about at the very least. How much would it cost to install a second oil tank, that is an interesting idea. Hell, put 5 of them in your basement, buy the oil now, store it, and then sell it to other people for a profit down the road....hmmmm....no seriously, I am just looking to minimize my costs, I don't have the cajones to do something like that
Well you have a very good system now so your savings will be more closely tied to the price of oil verse gas. Gas prices are likely to rise too. If your boiler was 30 years old, you would reap the benefits of having a more effiecent boiler. Unless you purchased a very highly effiecent boiler, like a condensing boiler, both the oil and gas with be with 5% of each other.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:34 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,164,033 times
Xbure9x, are you able to get gas in your home? Is it available? Thats the first place to start. Then you need to contact National Grid and get a quote for converting. Make sure you tell them you have a indirect tank connected. And keep it connected if you switch. Its the most efficient method for hot water, besides solar of course.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Well you have a very good system now so your savings will be more closely tied to the price of oil verse gas. Gas prices are likely to rise too. If your boiler was 30 years old, you would reap the benefits of having a more effiecent boiler. Unless you purchased a very highly effiecent boiler, like a condensing boiler, both the oil and gas with be with 5% of each other.
so, would it be accurate to say that unless I got a super high efficiency gas boiler during the conversion that I would actually use MORE total gas than oil with my current system, thus negating some of the savings?

Old 05-22-2008, 12:21 PM

175 posts, read 602,599 times
We are buying a house with a buried oil tank-another post-and I just received a call from keyspan saying there was no gas in my area-which means the nearest line is over 100 feet away. The woman found out it is on the next block but it runs about $70 a foot to run the line. Although the block is only one over, the blocks are long, we are at the end of the street and they can't go through backyards so they have to use only the main roads. Just relaying my story so you can check to see if the conversion is even possible. For us, just running the line would be at least 3000ft x $70=hello oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island