Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 11:13 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,827,251 times

Advertisements

Everyone hates school admins, until they try to do it. Most cushy union teachers couldn't get paid enough to take those jobs. Would you leave a 35hr wk, lifetime benefits cush job paying $140k for a 100hr week (24/7), deal w/ Newsday, parents, teachers and union, cops, politicians, utilities, civic groups, staff, every angry cranky whiny person in the district for $235k?! That is why Supts get the money. Cause NO ONE wants the job and they have to do national searches or double dip into previous appointees to find them. Teachers on the other hand make the money because of a) powerful union b) ignorant voters c) weak boards (see b). Wrap up the winnings in contracts that promise the moon to alleviate potential work stoppages (strikes) and you have our mess. It's not the 3 or 4 admins wrecking budgets, it's the thousands of teachers with guaranteed contractual and step raises. But really, it's still US, because WE vote in the boards and they determine what everyone gets paid. If you don't like it, vote in a better one. Good luck with that. Seems only ding dongs with silly personal agendas join school boards these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2020, 11:35 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,776,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Everyone hates school admins, until they try to do it. Most cushy union teachers couldn't get paid enough to take those jobs. Would you leave a 35hr wk, lifetime benefits cush job paying $140k for a 100hr week (24/7), deal w/ Newsday, parents, teachers and union, cops, politicians, utilities, civic groups, staff, every angry cranky whiny person in the district for $235k?! That is why Supts get the money. Cause NO ONE wants the job and they have to do national searches or double dip into previous appointees to find them. Teachers on the other hand make the money because of a) powerful union b) ignorant voters c) weak boards (see b). Wrap up the winnings in contracts that promise the moon to alleviate potential work stoppages (strikes) and you have our mess. It's not the 3 or 4 admins wrecking budgets, it's the thousands of teachers with guaranteed contractual and step raises. But really, it's still US, because WE vote in the boards and they determine what everyone gets paid. If you don't like it, vote in a better one. Good luck with that. Seems only ding dongs with silly personal agendas join school boards these days.
This! ^^^

Old 11-20-2020, 12:59 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,133,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
This! ^^^
I heard and interesting comment on the radio today and it got me thinking. I have always read the comments and commented myself about the school taxes on LI. I have a slight different perspective as I taught on LI for a year and moved for 2 years and when I came back, I could not get a teaching job, (early 80's)so I went in a different direction.

The subject was different than school taxes it was about the NYC teachers union demanding a 3% positive rate for closing the schools (LI has a 9%). They were talking about Ronald Reagan firing the Air Traffic Controllers and opined that perhaps this tactic could work relative to the teachers union.

I thought it was an interesting comment, but.......you know the rest of the story.

Old 11-20-2020, 01:31 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,827,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I heard and interesting comment on the radio today and it got me thinking. I have always read the comments and commented myself about the school taxes on LI. I have a slight different perspective as I taught on LI for a year and moved for 2 years and when I came back, I could not get a teaching job, (early 80's)so I went in a different direction.

The subject was different than school taxes it was about the NYC teachers union demanding a 3% positive rate for closing the schools (LI has a 9%). They were talking about Ronald Reagan firing the Air Traffic Controllers and opined that perhaps this tactic could work relative to the teachers union.

I thought it was an interesting comment, but.......you know the rest of the story.
It's an interesting thought but more complicated. DiBlasio takes the heat for the union's demands, but they're his bread and butter so what's he gonna do? Reagan wasn't beholden to the air traffic controllers. DiBlasio on the other hand, needs NYSUT for political survival.

Old 11-20-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
It's an interesting thought but more complicated. DiBlasio takes the heat for the union's demands, but they're his bread and butter so what's he gonna do? Reagan wasn't beholden to the air traffic controllers. DiBlasio on the other hand, needs NYSUT for political survival.
And that was the rest of the story. But it does bring up a good point that even though everyone says that you have no end game with a union, there is always an endgame - you just have to have someone that is willing to go up against them.

Old 11-20-2020, 02:27 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,410,313 times
The Air traffic controller situation is a ridiculous comparison to the NYC teacher situation. Makes no sense.

Old 11-20-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
The Air traffic controller situation is a ridiculous comparison to the NYC teacher situation. Makes no sense.
It makes a lot of sense to me, a teacher in NYC has a 9% threshold and their union negotiated very hard for that number. That percentage is an arbitrary number set by them. If teachers throughout the state can teach so can NYC. IF, they choose not to teach, then pull an ATC move and fire them. There are plenty more where they came from and it would save Deblobio a lot of coin.

Old 11-20-2020, 07:03 PM

690 posts, read 585,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post

770? They were discussing similar. Interesting take.

Old 11-20-2020, 08:17 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,776,011 times
Quote:
Does he though monster? He’s pretty much a lame duck at this point no? Why is he beholden to anyone?

Old 11-20-2020, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scampy25 View Post
770? They were discussing similar. Interesting take.
Yep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island