Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 04:26 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc1701 View Post
Does anyone know why the STAR rebate is no longer a credit to your school tax bill and now gets sent out as a separate check? How does that make sense?
That is not true in Suffolk ( at least not in Babylon ).

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2020, 05:01 PM

101 posts, read 71,383 times
I get two checks. One for star and one from the department of taxation and finance. The checks for my area are being sent out end of this month Im curious how much it will be considering the events of 2020. I only signed up with star 2 years ago after purchasing my house and both years both checks were for a significant amount of money.

Old 11-17-2020, 05:06 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBandit5433 View Post
I get two checks. One for star and one from the department of taxation and finance. The checks for my area are being sent out end of this month Im curious how much it will be considering the events of 2020. I only signed up with star 2 years ago after purchasing my house and both years both checks were for a significant amount of money.
You get 1 check now. The second check was the pottery rebate thing. It ended last year. It was based off your star amount and income

Old 11-17-2020, 05:55 PM

1,464 posts, read 755,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
You get 1 check now. The second check was the pottery rebate thing. It ended last year. It was based off your star amount and income
Correct. Down to the one check. It was for paying high school taxes in certain districts. Taxes went up again. Check went away. It helped pay raises for coumo (25k dollar raise) and his friends.

Old 11-17-2020, 07:29 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,795,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
Correct. Down to the one check. It was for paying high school taxes in certain districts. Taxes went up again. Check went away. It helped pay raises for coumo (25k dollar raise) and his friends.
School taxes don't cover Cuomo's salary, nor his friends' salaries. That's paid for by general NYS taxes. School taxes pay LI's 127 school superintendents' six figure salaries. The Nassau village I lived in had 4 school districts, so there were 4 superintendents cashing our six-figure checks.

I used to get the "savings" on the school tax bill (which I used to call "the little bastard tax"). Don't see the point to his change. How does it improve things?

Old 11-17-2020, 08:10 PM

1,464 posts, read 755,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
School taxes don't cover Cuomo's salary, nor his friends' salaries. That's paid for by general NYS taxes. School taxes pay LI's 127 school superintendents' six figure salaries. The Nassau village I lived in had 4 school districts, so there were 4 superintendents cashing our six-figure checks.

I used to get the "savings" on the school tax bill (which I used to call "the little bastard tax"). Don't see the point to his change. How does it improve things?
Coumo property tax relief checks came from his budget. Thus assisting in his raise. Obviously school taxes don’t cover his salary. It was to pressure schools to stay under his cap.

Old 11-17-2020, 09:24 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Oh god... pointing fingers at superintendents again... there's easily less than 20 of them compared to the hundreds of teachers per district, averaging over 6 figures. I'll let you do the math this time.

Old 11-18-2020, 07:13 AM

1 posts, read 636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Oh god... pointing fingers at superintendents again... there's easily less than 20 of them compared to the hundreds of teachers per district, averaging over 6 figures. I'll let you do the math this time.
The superintendents, the assistant superintendents for business, curriculum, technology... The deputy superintendents, then the director's of everything you can think of. Most pulling in over $130k a pop, easily.

How many schools does East Williston have? Three elementary schools? Have you looked at their list of administration? You don't think that adds up? At least teachers actually do something for the kids. I don't know how many glorified paper signers people can justify, but whatever. People here like it that way.

Old 11-20-2020, 07:12 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlefig View Post
The superintendents, the assistant superintendents for business, curriculum, technology... The deputy superintendents, then the director's of everything you can think of. Most pulling in over $130k a pop, easily.

How many schools does East Williston have? Three elementary schools? Have you looked at their list of administration? You don't think that adds up? At least teachers actually do something for the kids. I don't know how many glorified paper signers people can justify, but whatever. People here like it that way.
I absolutely don't like it that way, but you and those who blame those handful of higher figures are overestimating the effect it has on a household's tax bill. It's in plain black and white on a school budget. There's less than 20 of them. A 7000 household town like Massapequa will mean they each get back less than $1k per household if you removed all of those admins there. That's it.

Now you may be wondering where the bulk of your cost actually is. Look up sections pertaining to employee (K-6 & 7-12) salaries and employee benefits like health insurance and pension. Hundreds of millions of dollars for maybe 550 of them. Now divide that by 7000 households and figure out how much more you'd get back if they would simply cut their compensation by something like $40k each which IS still a good salary for LI. That alone is $3k each household back and then more from benefits cut which currently is upwards of $40k each for health insurance alone giving you up to another $3k back per household. Then we can talk about pensions. It's just neverending.

Your school tax amount drops by that amount per year and suddenly it's much less costly to be here for EVERYONE. Let me know where I'm wrong.

Last edited by ovi8; 11-20-2020 at 08:24 AM..

Old 11-20-2020, 11:02 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc1701 View Post
Does anyone know why the STAR rebate is no longer a credit to your school tax bill and now gets sent out as a separate check? How does that make sense?
Its still a credit to your school tax unless you bought a house in 2015 or later or opted for a check when everyone had to reapply a few years ago. I still get a credit not a check
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island