Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 07:28 PM

13,062 posts, read 18,165,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Ya know I thought that sounded like it was too far out, but regardless of when it actually does hit there are places that are behind NY so you get the gist of what I was saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2020, 07:35 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,285,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Ya know I thought that sounded like it was too far out, but regardless of when it actually does hit there are places that are behind NY so you get the gist of what I was saying.
Pretty much everyone is 2-3 weeks behind NY. Of course, this all assumes social distancing. When NY turns the corner and starts to recover and some bonehead in the Midwest thinks they don’t have to distance themselves they will spike up again.

Aside from walks in my neighborhood and some work around the house I haven’t gone anywhere except for essentials a few times over the last 3 weeks. If non-essential people could do the same we’d kick this quickly.

Old 04-09-2020, 03:31 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,861,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
If one can wade through the usual and silly WAPO Trump gotchas, WAPO hits the outdated test development protocols pretty hard - especially the SOP of CDC to develop their own (non-WHO) test and the protocols following the Public Health Emergency Declaration of 31 January.

Here is one just one excerpt:

“The declaration triggered emergency testing protocols, which increased restrictions on which labs could make a corona virus test. Any lab would be required to acquire an Emergency Use Authorization (EAU) from the FDA to perform testing for COVID-19.” The cascading ill effects of this protocol have to be read to be believed:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...us-testing-us/

Given the world’s failure to firmly slam the door on China-related travel early (no doubt related to Chinese misinformation on the virus as well as other factors) and the fact that asymptomatic and mildly symptomatic carriers/spreaders aren’t necessarily candidates for testing even with a greater supply of tests, there is some question as to how much of the COVID-19 deaths we could have realistically avoided.
China's apparent lack of candor in a timely dissemination of information cannot be denied as a delaying factor here in combatting the virus; that, however, cannot be a wall behind which this administration can hide their own delays. Mr. Trump's insecurities and ego cause him to believe that every problem we face will be blamed on him and would prefer to challenge that than attack the problem. In this case he spent so much time denying there was a problem that he neglected to face it early and strongly.

While he claimed "hoax" and attempted to defend himself against charges that had not been leveled the problem grew until he became key in allowing it to spread unchecked. Maybe "the world" at large shares the blame but we did not elect the world to defend us, we elected Trump. We cannot hold the world responsible but we must hold Trump responsible. We cannot blame the world for allowing unrestricted flights while we did the same thing.

There was a unit at the National Security Council charged with monitoring world conditions as an early warning of just such a virus; his abandonment of that office severely curtailed our ability to see what was happening and to what degree causing us to rely on information dribbling out of China. His disregard of the CDCs Pandemic Playbook delayed our response including testing and mobilization and supply of our medical forces especially with key administration staffers in a constant state of flux. Testing protocol difficulties cited in the article appear to be exactly the type of problems the playbook was designed to alleviate.

Old 04-09-2020, 05:15 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,830,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
So a "burnt bridge" with the USA prevented China from sharing information with Iran and Italy? Seems unlikely.

Since China has not "shared" information candidly about anything with nearly anyone for as long as anyone can remember, it doesn't seem that blaming current political climate is anything but seeking excuses where none exist.
I'm curious when the last time was that we shared information with China?! We were in the middle of a trade war as I recall. Just sayin'. How does China relate to firing the CDC infectious disease director and gutting funding?!? China's fault? We were preparing since 2014. Obama called for ventilators and medical gear in 2014 and beyond. Until this administration came in and gutted funding for response and fired all the scientists. #accountability #consequences Not blame, but accountability.

China is responsible for the outbreak. WE are responsible for our poor/confused response and LACK OF TESTS and supplies. This is moving to the middle states. They can blame China or Pelosi or Mahatma Ghandi, they are still going to need health care workers, masks and ventilators. And this will not be the last of these types of outbreaks.

https://www.facebook.com/NowThisNews...1121541793456/

Last edited by monstermagnet; 04-09-2020 at 06:14 AM..

Old 04-09-2020, 06:28 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,414,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
I'm curious when the last time was that we shared information with China?! We were in the middle of a trade war as I recall. Just sayin'. How does China relate to firing the CDC infectious disease director and gutting funding?!? China's fault? We were preparing since 2014. Obama called for ventilators and medical gear in 2014 and beyond. Until this administration came in and gutted funding for response and fired all the scientists. #accountability #consequences Not blame, but accountability.

China is responsible for the outbreak. WE are responsible for our poor/confused response and LACK OF TESTS and supplies. This is moving to the middle states. They can blame China or Pelosi or Mahatma Ghandi, they are still going to need health care workers, masks and ventilators. And this will not be the last of these types of outbreaks.

https://www.facebook.com/NowThisNews...1121541793456/
It is China's fault, and we would ABSOLUTELY share info with the world if there was a possible pandemic brewing here in the states. STOP WITH THE BS about how, its you know who's fault. There are MANY at fault, but the biggest is CHINA.

Old 04-09-2020, 06:35 AM

5,075 posts, read 3,973,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
China's apparent lack of candor in a timely dissemination of information cannot be denied as a delaying factor here in combatting the virus; that, however, cannot be a wall behind which this administration can hide their own delays. Mr. Trump's insecurities and ego cause him to believe that every problem we face will be blamed on him and would prefer to challenge that than attack the problem. In this case he spent so much time denying there was a problem that he neglected to face it early and strongly.

While he claimed "hoax" and attempted to defend himself against charges that had not been leveled the problem grew until he became key in allowing it to spread unchecked. Maybe "the world" at large shares the blame but we did not elect the world to defend us, we elected Trump. We cannot hold the world responsible but we must hold Trump responsible. We cannot blame the world for allowing unrestricted flights while we did the same thing.

There was a unit at the National Security Council charged with monitoring world conditions as an early warning of just such a virus; his abandonment of that office severely curtailed our ability to see what was happening and to what degree causing us to rely on information dribbling out of China. His disregard of the CDCs Pandemic Playbook delayed our response including testing and mobilization and supply of our medical forces especially with key administration staffers in a constant state of flux. Testing protocol difficulties cited in the article appear to be exactly the type of problems the playbook was designed to alleviate.
Believe me, it is no comfort that China faked out the world’s public health experts and not just our own. Recent reports (today, NYT) are that much of the NYC virus is of immediate European vintage...something our January 31 China-travel ban could not have stopped even if it was airtight.

Once the virus was here (NYT now estimates mid FEB in NYC) asymptomatic and mildly symptomatic carriers/spreaders of COVID-19 (a significant percentage of the COVID-19 infected) were unlikely to be tested even if our testing program was in far better shape.

Internal and commonplace pre-virus bureaucratic shuffling at the NSC have been acknowledged by Bolton but he denies responsibilities were eliminated. The effect on virus response is far from linear.

WAPO quickly smacked down the false story that Trump called the virus itself a hoax and then doubled down by hitting Joe Biden with four Pinocchio’s when he attempted to revive it.

Old 04-09-2020, 06:39 AM

3,406 posts, read 1,912,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Coumo's an ass. Need I say more?

I am sticking with the end of April for things to start to SLOWLY improve.
Careful now, you may be talking about Biden's replacement.

Old 04-09-2020, 06:56 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,830,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
It is China's fault, and we would ABSOLUTELY share info with the world if there was a possible pandemic brewing here in the states. STOP WITH THE BS about how, its you know who's fault. There are MANY at fault, but the biggest is CHINA.
Umm, fault and accountability. The virus is not my fault, but I am accountable for having food and toilet paper. The virus is not the govts fault, but they are accountable for our safety and security. That's why they're there. Gutting funding to pandemic response when you got warnings in 2014, 2015, 2017 and 2019 isn't exactly #winning.

Old 04-09-2020, 07:01 AM

85 posts, read 60,567 times
I see the models and what they attempt to do, I work with statistics etc, so it makes sense...but how could this work for an area such as LI? Hundreds of mini epicenters, are the models accounting for population in each and making this assumption?

To me, until the entire island is 'red' how could the peak be reached, it has barely gone exponential in some parts of the island yet which is inevitable even with distancing...and how does it not just fire up again once distancing ends...

Old 04-09-2020, 07:14 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,414,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx313 View Post
I see the models and what they attempt to do, I work with statistics etc, so it makes sense...but how could this work for an area such as LI? Hundreds of mini epicenters, are the models accounting for population in each and making this assumption?

To me, until the entire island is 'red' how could the peak be reached, it has barely gone exponential in some parts of the island yet which is inevitable even with distancing...and how does it not just fire up again once distancing ends...
You really work with statistics?? The virus lives for up to 14 days....after 14 days, its gone/dead. If everyone stays home, how does it survive? It doesn't need to peak everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island