Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 06:20 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,263,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
If one can wade through the usual and silly WAPO Trump gotchas, WAPO hits the outdated test development protocols pretty hard - especially the SOP of CDC to develop their own (non-WHO) test and the protocols following the Public Health Emergency Declaration of 31 January.

Here is one just one excerpt:

“The declaration triggered emergency testing protocols, which increased restrictions on which labs could make a corona virus test. Any lab would be required to acquire an Emergency Use Authorization (EAU) from the FDA to perform testing for COVID-19.” The cascading ill effects of this protocol have to be read to be believed:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...us-testing-us/

Given the world’s failure to firmly slam the door on China-related travel early (no doubt related to Chinese misinformation on the virus as well as other factors) and the fact that asymptomatic and mildly symptomatic carriers/spreaders aren’t necessarily candidates for testing even with a greater supply of tests, there is some question as to how much of the COVID-19 deaths we could have realistically avoided.
Note that the WHO has never provided the US with tests. They also don’t provide other leading nations with them either. Its purpose is to provide tests to those countries without the means to develop them.

I hope the world has a long memory when it comes to China’s selective information sharing. I think they are a bit scared now because this isn’t just an “oops” moment, it could be a redefinition of the world’s economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2020, 09:42 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,827,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Note that the WHO has never provided the US with tests. They also don’t provide other leading nations with them either. Its purpose is to provide tests to those countries without the means to develop them.

I hope the world has a long memory when it comes to China’s selective information sharing. I think they are a bit scared now because this isn’t just an “oops” moment, it could be a redefinition of the world’s economy.
I think we should remember that the greatest, most exceptional country in the history of the universe couldn't supply as many tests as S. Korea. We STILL are way behind on testing.

Why would any country help us with "information sharing?" Burning bridges with every country/ally except Russia and N. Korea for 3 years has consequences when you need global cooperation and GOOD information! Ebola was nipped fast precisely due to this type of cooperation, which no longer exists AT ALL.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
I think we should remember that the greatest, most exceptional country in the history of the universe couldn't supply as many tests as S. Korea. We STILL are way behind on testing.

Why would any country help us with "information sharing?" Burning bridges with every country/ally except Russia and N. Korea for 3 years has consequences when you need global cooperation and GOOD information! Ebola was nipped fast precisely due to this type of cooperation, which no longer exists AT ALL.
I know you're anti anything this Administration does, but Ebola isn't a direct comparison to this Coronavirus. Ebola spread slower, and was more deadly, and didn't infect before symptoms were showing.

I will fully admit the US was behind. I place a good amount of this blame on the Administration, but also some on China and some on New York (state and city).

South Korea definitely was more prepared than the US, but it also helps (as it does in Japan) that their societies are more likely to conform. I canceled travel plans back in January seeing what was coming, yet you read tons of stories of Americans still traveling in late Feb or March.

You might find this interesting - South Korea is smaller than the state of Georgia. Also about 16x the density.

https://www.mylifeelsewhere.com/coun...es/south-korea

At some point it becomes an individual responsibility in addition to a collective one.

Old 04-08-2020, 11:02 AM

4,026 posts, read 1,881,674 times
So a "burnt bridge" with the USA prevented China from sharing information with Iran and Italy? Seems unlikely.

Since China has not "shared" information candidly about anything with nearly anyone for as long as anyone can remember, it doesn't seem that blaming current political climate is anything but seeking excuses where none exist.

Old 04-08-2020, 11:16 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,410,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
So a "burnt bridge" with the USA prevented China from sharing information with Iran and Italy? Seems unlikely.

Since China has not "shared" information candidly about anything with nearly anyone for as long as anyone can remember, it doesn't seem that blaming current political climate is anything but seeking excuses where none exist.
Lol, I agree. China will, and always do whatever they want. They are the BIGGEST reason for this pandemic. They tried covering up how bad it was. Sure, everyone has some blame, but China really screwed the world holding back the info they had.

Old 04-08-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Lol, I agree. China will, and always do whatever they want. They are the BIGGEST reason for this pandemic. They tried covering up how bad it was. Sure, everyone has some blame, but China really screwed the world holding back the info they had.
China will now try and rewrite the narrative by "giving" things to various countries. Time for the US and other first world nations to start pulling manufacturing out of China.

Old 04-08-2020, 01:09 PM

3,526 posts, read 5,709,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
So what do you expect to do? Stay locked inside hoping not to get the virus for 18 months while the economy completely collapses?

100% agree with you

Old 04-08-2020, 01:52 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,410,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
China will now try and rewrite the narrative by "giving" things to various countries. Time for the US and other first world nations to start pulling manufacturing out of China.
Hopefully this happens. I have been saying it for years.

Old 04-08-2020, 03:50 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,133,701 times
Regardless of an apex in NY or elsewhere, until the rest of the country hits their apex, not much is even remotely certain. I just spoke to someone in MN and she said they are telling them today that they expected apex for them is not until July.

That said until we know how this virus reacts, we have no idea if it is a one and done or one that repeats like the flu.

Old 04-08-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Regardless of an apex in NY or elsewhere, until the rest of the country hits their apex, not much is even remotely certain. I just spoke to someone in MN and she said they are telling them today that they expected apex for them is not until July.

That said until we know how this virus reacts, we have no idea if it is a one and done or one that repeats like the flu.
https://covid19.healthdata.org/unite...rica/minnesota

Not according to this model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island