Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 12:23 PM

376 posts, read 311,076 times

Advertisements

So you’re part of the problem.

I would fine anyone who doesn’t let the town in for the purpose of checking for illegal rentals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2019, 01:23 PM

46 posts, read 22,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwsteg View Post
So you’re part of the problem.

I would fine anyone who doesn’t let the town in for the purpose of checking for illegal rentals.
You would, but the law protects citizens. Only a court mandated warrant gets entry.

Old 10-21-2019, 01:43 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,827,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsenuh View Post
You would, but the law protects citizens. Only a court mandated warrant gets entry.
Actually, the law protects law abiding citizens. It specifically doesn't protect scofflaws. You'll eventually need a lawyer for that.

Old 10-21-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Actually, the law protects law abiding citizens. It specifically doesn't protect scofflaws. You'll eventually need a lawyer for that.
lol no, the law protects everyone excluding terrorists.

Old 10-21-2019, 03:04 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,052,018 times
Quote:
Some already tried doing that. I simply didnt let the town inspector in. Case closed, 3 times in first 2 months and neighbors gave up. The neighbors next door are doing the same.
So, one or more of your neighbors have reported your illegal apartment 3 times already?

And the neighbor next door to you is .. doing what?? Reporting you? Or renting out an illegal apartment, as you are doing? That part is confusing.

The former owners of my house were renting out an illegal basement apartment for the better part of 10 years and from everything I've heard since living here, the adjacent neighbors knew all about it but didn't ever report it. None of those neighbors have tenants, btw, so it wasn't a case of "fearing a retaliatory report." You or your tenants must have done something to seriously annoy someone (or several someones) to have so many reports filed with the town so quickly.

Old 10-21-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
So, one or more of your neighbors have reported your illegal apartment 3 times already?

And the neighbor next door to you is .. doing what?? Reporting you? Or renting out an illegal apartment, as you are doing? That part is confusing.

The former owners of my house were renting out an illegal basement apartment for the better part of 10 years and from everything I've heard since living here, the adjacent neighbors knew all about it but didn't ever report it. None of those neighbors have tenants, btw, so it wasn't a case of "fearing a retaliatory report." You or your tenants must have done something to seriously annoy someone (or several someones) to have so many reports filed with the town so quickly.
Not really, it's just gets noisy when you move into a home and have to make a second kitchen. There's only 24 hours in a day, 12 of which I'm gone.

They just got mad that I drilled at night, but oh well. It's New York. I've lived my entire life next to a building that kept on increased floors, side space in yard.

If people really like suburbs, I think they have a fair shot at Massachusetts. New York isn't the place for it, not even long island. The mayor runs this state, not the people, and not the people of long island. Judging by the way it's heading, in 30 years we will be Hong Kong 2.0

Old 10-25-2019, 02:26 PM

184 posts, read 228,138 times
If you’re renting out an illegal basement apartment, you’re a scumbag plain and simple

Old 10-25-2019, 02:33 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,386,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post

LOL well if he is the same way in person as he is on this board, well then I can see why

Old 10-25-2019, 07:25 PM

big keyboard keys and no brain can often lead to a band of sheep on the loose.

There are 2 neighbors that realized my high tolerance for what you would call, nonsense. They smoke weed. Well, they smoked weed well before, but now they openly hold the joint outside and say hello. The entire street, especially my end, smells Cartel. I could care less if they have an illegal preschool, crackhouse, or if they are building a new trump tower next to my home.

This is America, and you can do whatever the fk you want to do, and no one is stopping anyone, and neither are any of your opinions which are indeed, valid, but DO NOT APPLY in reality. The sole reason why I am here wasting my time explaining that your opinions, my opinions, don't matter is because I actually think you guys can benefit from realizing that world moves on way ahead of your ideal view of life.

Enjoy life. Illegal or legal doesn't matter. We all die in the end. Let it rip.

Old 10-26-2019, 08:30 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,052,018 times
Quote:
Not really, it's just gets noisy when you move into a home and have to make a second kitchen. There's only 24 hours in a day, 12 of which I'm gone.

They just got mad that I drilled at night, but oh well.

Ah, I see. In that case IMHO the neighbors were being unreasonable. There's always some nearby collateral noise-and-debris damage from any remodeling project (especially with new owners) and people should realize that it's only temporary and make allowances. "This too shall pass", etc. etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island