Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 09:32 PM

63 posts, read 367,088 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me if property taxes in Georgia are higher than in Florida? What about gas utility bills? I heard that they're really costly. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 03:55 AM

18 posts, read 104,692 times
We moved from S. Brevard County to Georgia in July. Our new home has more square feet and more acreage than our place in Fl had. Our Fl taxes were $3100 a year. Our Georgia taxes are $1100. HOI in Florida was $4000, here it is $463....yup, $463. We havn't received our utility bill yet (all electric, no gas) but I doubt that it will shock me. No pun intended.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:08 AM

47 posts, read 652,893 times
Thumbs up Lol!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettheroof View Post
We moved from S. Brevard County to Georgia in July. Our new home has more square feet and more acreage than our place in Fl had. Our Fl taxes were $3100 a year. Our Georgia taxes are $1100. HOI in Florida was $4000, here it is $463....yup, $463. We havn't received our utility bill yet (all electric, no gas) but I doubt that it will shock me. No pun intended.
just had to LOL.... good one! GA is definitely cheaper with both respects to insurance and taxes.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:57 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,195,031 times
Depends on where you live in Georgia. If you live in Atlanta, the taxes are comparable to Orlando or Tampa taxes. Florida also does not have a state income tax or a state inheritence tax.

Home owner's insurance is substantially cheaper in non-coastal Georgia. Most people in Florida don't use gas for anything. You can get it in some places, just that most Floridians think gas is an evil explosive killer, whereas electricity is your friend.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:23 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,192,866 times
Property taxes will vary a great deal depending on the city and county. The city next to us, has NO property taxes. However, they have a horrible inventory tax that rakes in a lot. Other cities tax, the house, the ground, the shed, the cars, the trailer, the boat and the visitors that come and stay in the hotels.

Riverfront is a great deal higher than just marsh front. Location means a great deal. We have a small old house in an much desired area. We have an assessment of 253,000 for a 1500sq ft house that would be assessed at about 90,000 in another section of town.

It's comparing apples and oranges.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:07 PM

262 posts, read 938,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
.....Most people in Florida don't use gas for anything. You can get it in some places, just that most Floridians think gas is an evil explosive killer, whereas electricity is your friend.
LOL - I had to laugh because that's what I think. This is because my little lot (in FL) got hit by a tornado, and wow was I glad that big old gas tank was gone.

Yep, electricity is your friend - until the hurricane comes along and knocks it out for a week.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:12 PM

262 posts, read 938,224 times
Okay, back on topic: property taxes. I have a question about some news I read about a GA legislator (Richardson?) who has a similar idea as our FL legislator Mark Rubio. The GA legislator is proposing to abolish property taxes, which I happen to think is an excellent idea. I wish Rubio had been successful.

So - does anyone think this has a chance of passing in GA?

Old 08-08-2007, 07:27 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,192,866 times
Nope. Not a chance. It makes him sound as if he is for The Little Man. But the fact is that the small counties would be in a terrible fix without property taxes.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:58 AM

9 posts, read 53,898 times
Default hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
Depends on where you live in Georgia. If you live in Atlanta, the taxes are comparable to Orlando or Tampa taxes. Florida also does not have a state income tax or a state inheritence tax.

Home owner's insurance is substantially cheaper in non-coastal Georgia. Most people in Florida don't use gas for anything. You can get it in some places, just that most Floridians think gas is an evil explosive killer, whereas electricity is your friend.
I was agreeing with you until you mentioned the state income tax.. Oh honey we pay big time for that no state income tax.. Our wages are lower than most because the 'BEAUTIFUL SUNSHINE' is counted as part of our wages lol

My home owners insurance has gone from 1000 four years ago to 4000 this year, no, no claims. My property tax went from 1,200 during the same period to 3,500 current.. Anyone interested in a five year old 2,640 sqft house with a quarter acre lot? Please?? LOL I'll even throw in the riding lawn mower

Old 08-11-2007, 05:56 AM

894 posts, read 4,351,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobeit19 View Post
My home owners insurance has gone from 1000 four years ago to 4000 this year, no, no claims. My property tax went from 1,200 during the same period to 3,500 current..
Was your property homesteaded and did you have the SOH on your home?

My HOI was going to go from 2400 to 4500. Our property taxes remained at 3240 with the SOH. Owned the home since 1992 and moved this past January.

We were going to stay in Fl and downsize, but we would have ended up paying double the tax if we stayed, and no guarantee from our HOI company that they would not drop us when/if we moved. Made us feel us warm and fuzzy, NOT!

Our HOI is 763 in GA, and our taxes are around 2000.00/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia