Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 09:35 AM

46 posts, read 22,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaomb View Post
Property taxes are that rate in certain areas like Great Neck & Manhasset but you won’t find any $300k-400k houses there.

If you lived in NYC, you would also pay a ~4% NYC Income tax.
I rather pay 6k extra to city tax than 4k extra in property tax, because at least I know I'm not paying for other people's kids schools.

A city tax is infinitely times safer than a property tax. If you want to go into that topic, I can explain it. The reason isn't on the surface, fyi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2019, 09:40 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,056,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsenuh View Post
I rather pay 6k extra to city tax than 4k extra in property tax, because at least I know I'm not paying for other people's kids schools.
Well, heaven forbid that you should contribute to the education of the younger generation as a whole.

In other words your objection to LI property taxes is philosophical rather than budgetary.

Hey, that's okay, whatever floats your boat. At least you're being upfront about it.

Old 10-21-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Well, heaven forbid that you should contribute to the education of the younger generation as a whole.

In other words your objection to LI property taxes is philosophical rather than budgetary.

Hey, that's okay, whatever floats your boat. At least you're being upfront about it.
You're 50% getting my point. The other 50% is that unless everyone else's pitches in, I'm not pitching in. No point in in paying taxes if my taxes covers those that are squatting next door.

A city tax forces the squatters to pay. Our towns on long island believe that the 1 house = 1 family = 1 husband working rule applies still in todays society where you have 7 families living in Glen Cove or hoards of abandoned homes in Amytiville that we have to pay for.

If they fix their system, I'll pay double what I owe. I still hate paying the tax, but the hate can be combatted with a smile seeing those guys who get by without paying a dime get their share cut.

Old 10-21-2019, 10:13 AM

822 posts, read 779,535 times
Quote:
You're 50% getting my point. The other 50% is that unless everyone else's pitches in, I'm not pitching in. No point in in paying taxes if my taxes covers those that are squatting next door.

A city tax forces the squatters to pay. Our towns on long island believe that the 1 house = 1 family = 1 husband working rule applies still in todays society where you have 7 families living in Glen Cove or hoards of abandoned homes in Amytiville that we have to pay for.

If they fix their system, I'll pay double what I owe. I still hate paying the tax, but the hate can be combatted with a smile seeing those guys who get by without paying a dime get their share cut.
Do your illegal tenants have kids that attend the public schools?

Old 10-21-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaomb View Post
Do your illegal tenants have kids that attend the public schools?
Yes. In other words, I'm trying to solve the problems others are creating and others are trying to solve the problem I'm creating.

There are 2 options. Search every house with warrant, or click a button that says "Impose 3-5%" town tax.

The only way to combat the town tax, is to starve yourself and not work, which works for a bout 2 weeks before the stomache starts making noises.

Old 10-21-2019, 10:22 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,830,461 times
Quote:

Such a BS premise. Let's hear the actual numbers of all those "hordes" of homes and kids you're subsidizing with your local taxes. The real numbers don't support your theory. Stick to being a cheap bastard, that at least made sense. If you think your state taxes don't subsidize kids from Herkimer to Hempstead, I have a bridge to sell you. Oh wait, you're paying for those too. People you don't know, crossing bridges all over the state...on your dime!!! Holy shnikees! Watch out for snow. You're paying for municipal rock salt, which then eats your own car!! You probably have your own plow so you should opt out.

You love it here because we ALL pay through the nose to the schools to prop up the value of your modest home and illegal apartment. You're welcome.

Old 10-21-2019, 10:33 AM

376 posts, read 311,745 times
Quote:

Yes but those illegal tenants “getting by” will still cheat the system by using non LI addresses. Plus most of those probably don’t even work at all regardless. An easier fix is, just don’t rent illegally.

Old 10-21-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwsteg View Post
Yes but those illegal tenants “getting by” will still cheat the system by using non LI addresses. Plus most of those probably don’t even work at all regardless. An easier fix is, just don’t rent illegally.
Try telling people, an easier fix for the low speed limit is to drive slower and see who will listen. There needs to be a solution that works 80% of the time, not 20% of the time.

Old 10-21-2019, 11:36 AM

376 posts, read 311,745 times
Well there is an easy fix. $10k fine for first offense to whoever rents illegally. And $1000 reward to the homeowner who reports it.

Old 10-21-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwsteg View Post
Well there is an easy fix. $10k fine for first offense to whoever rents illegally. And $1000 reward to the homeowner who reports it.
Some already tried doing that. I simply didnt let the town inspector in. Case closed, 3 times in first 2 months and neighbors gave up. The neighbors next door are doing the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island