Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 05:29 AM

1,261 posts, read 561,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silloc View Post
looks like quite the opposite has been happening
The post-Covid market would help that.

Given that so many houses were purchased with cash, as-is, without inspection or contingencies, keep an eye on how many buyers (especially city dwellers who have never had to deal with building permits) attempt to perform renovations and find out that their houses must now be elevated to conform to the building code.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2021, 08:29 AM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
Quote:
looks like quite the opposite has been happening
I know. Unbelievable. Not just the Dirty O but the market in general everywhere.
It’s really just totally bananas.

Old 07-13-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinche guy View Post
How many houses in Oceanside were bought as is, all cash, or without inspection in Oceanside? Bringing houses up to code is a good thing. There are so many POS all over Long Island, aluminum wiring and leaking cesspools as far as the eye can see.
As I am not privy to the details of every home sale, I couldn't tell you. But looking at the market overall, there were a lot of first time buyers who didn't know any better, those who were afraid of losing the purchase and agreed to waive inspections, or those buying with cash who didn't need or bother with clean titles. It is ultimately up to the buyer to do his homework, but I wouldn't doubt that a fair number of people bought houses with serious current or future issues. Upgrading wiring or insulation is one thing, but my reference to south shore homes is specific to Sandy repairs that may cross the threshold into New C/O territory (50% improvement) and now require another 6 figures to elevate a home.

Old 07-13-2021, 11:35 AM

9 posts, read 4,483 times
Quote:
Oceanside will continue to be a desirable location for many despite its blue collar reputation and sordid past.
How is it any different than all the other South Shore Nassau towns?

Old 07-13-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
The entire south shore shares the same concerns with regard to elevation levels. Certainly not an Oceanside specific issue. Have you seen the 250+ apartment building currently being built in Oceanside? OJC apparently has sold their property as well for new development. Oceanside will continue to be a desirable location for many despite its blue collar reputation and sordid past.
I have. And I'm eagerly awaiting the reveal of the OJC project. Since the neighbors came out en masse to complain about school traffic, I hope they get the residential developments they demanded and watch the traffic get worse. It was the #1 complaint and people actively campaigned against the proposed development with one of the lowest impacts in this regard.

I'm also waiting to see if my prediction comes true: neighbors fight a small development alongside the synagogue, which in turn forces the synagogue to close and make way for a bigger project (townhomes instead of single family or an assisted living) to be pushed through by a more politically connected developer.

Old 07-13-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accountingstudent View Post
Anyone who spends more than a week in Oceanside will know the residents are closeted racists - they type who may not even realize they are. They act like they're politically correct because they're "good people" types, but just look at them and you can tell they're not exactly progressive. As a minority parent in Oceanside I walk my kid into school and I'm met with people who avoid eye contact or roll their eyes at the very sight of me. Meanwhile they will chit chat with literally anyone else who is white and has the typical Oceanside look and voice. The only people here who talk to me are commuters who know how the rest of the world works. I'm leaving the second I can afford to.
Just read the community pages on social media. As someone who grew up there it is infuriating. Every time a store or project is proposed the cry is "we don't want to be Queens" which really means "we don't want non whites coming to our town to shop or dine." You know, because opening a Dollar Tree will cause people to hop on a bus or train to visit our unimpressive little hamlet.

After hating on any proposed commercial occupancy, the complaints then turn to the number of vacant storefronts. And nobody seems to understand the irony of it.

Old 07-13-2021, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC324 View Post
I hope they get the residential developments they demanded and watch the traffic get worse.
Glad I don't live over on that side of the town. Though, the rumor is also saying that the old american legion property is finally going to be developed into a assisted living facility and that is close to me. I guess seniors don't do much traveling though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC324 View Post
Every time a store or project is proposed the cry is "we don't want to be Queens" which really means "we don't want non whites coming to our town to shop or dine."
I don't know if that's the full scope of the argument, though definitely is for some here. I think most just don't want a continued increase in density when they say "we don't want to be Queens." I mean a lot of people choose to live here specifically to not be in the city, but be city adjacent.

Old 07-13-2021, 01:46 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Glad I don't live over on that side of the town. Though, the rumor is also saying that the old american legion property is finally going to be developed into a assisted living facility and that is close to me. I guess seniors don't do much traveling though.

I don't know if that's the full scope of the argument, though definitely is for some here. I think most just don't want a continued increase in density when they say "we don't want to be Queens." I mean a lot of people choose to live here specifically to not be in the city, but be city adjacent.
That area will always be desirable regardless of whether it becomes Queens or not, largely b/c many people work in the city and don't want to be much further out. Oceanside/RVC/Baldwin ... they are about a 30-40 min ride on the LIRR depending. Proximity to the city is attractive to people.

Old 07-13-2021, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
That area will always be desirable regardless of whether it becomes Queens or not, largely b/c many people work in the city and don't want to be much further out. Oceanside/RVC/Baldwin ... they are about a 30-40 min ride on the LIRR depending. Proximity to the city is attractive to people.
I know, I live in Oceanside for those reasons among others. My point is if it were to become even more dense and crowded (and Queens like) I'd rather just live in Queens and be even closer to the city and subway. One of the benefits too me at least is it's not and that I kind of get the best of both worlds being in an almost hybrid urban/suburban area.

Old 07-13-2021, 02:44 PM

I guess I should also contribute to this thread at some point. To start I've lived here for a while and some of my pros are going to be very specific to my area of Oceanside (School 2 area). Personally, I could never live in certain parts of this town (Boardman area I'm looking at you) and some of the complaints I see are true regarding those ares. Flooding, traffic, and some of the people come to mind.

Pros
-Proximity to the city and beach. I can walk to RVC, ERock or Oceanside LIRR stations. RVC trains have been consistently getting me to Penn in 38 minutes. Driving to the beach isn't terrible and I take Lawson usually to bypass most of the Oceanside portion of LB road. Can also take the train there if you want too.
-If I don't want to go to the city for a night out I can walk into RVC. This little corner of Oceanside actually has better access to the RVC bars and restaurants than a nice portion of RVC itself. IMO one of the better "downtown" areas around.
-Currently not at risk to flooding by me, Sandy barely touched the houses here besides the power outages and I don't live on landfill. Who knows what'll that status will be like in 50 years though.
-Extremely safe area. You should've seen what used to make the Herald "crime watch" before they removed it.
-Good schools. I don't know why I see people say they're bad now and used to be great. I graduated in the late 2000s and got a great education IMO. It can be what you make of it, but I had great teachers and all the tools available to succeed. My youngest brother graduated 3 years ago and what I saw from him and his friends the high school has only gotten better. More advanced classes, more school spirit, better sports, more extracurriculars and less kids left behind.
-Aesthetically I'm pretty happy with my area. Most people keep their house in good shape, not many McMansions, a good mix of classic styles and post war capes, still plenty of trees. Might be unpopular, but I like capes. Southern part of town is filled with high ranches which I'd rather live in a cardboard box than be stuck in one of those things.

Cons
-Some of the people. Just your typical LI bozos so I wouldn't even say that's exclusive to this town. Certain parts of Oside are worse than others in this regard.
-Taxes, though it's not even the actual amount it's knowing how much your paying and it not being used properly.
-TOH building department mafia. Don't change a lightbulb without asking permission first. Again not really specific to here, but it's something that annoys me.
-We lack a nice main street type area.
-It is a little bit of a drive to get to the Southern State. I'm at least lucky I get to dodge the LB road part of the drive, but Ocean ave o Peninsula blvd can get congested too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island