Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 11:28 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,224,015 times

Advertisements

Pro: It's on Long Island.
Con: It's on Long Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 11:14 AM

5 posts, read 14,958 times
Thank you all for the feedback ... the house im interested in is close to the South Bay Country Club, near Waukena Ave ... starting to think this isn't the area i want to be in.

We were initially looking in Five Towns, but the taxes and overall quality of homes for the price (gut jobs) scared me off ... the taxes here were a lot more manageable.

Old 10-24-2016, 12:19 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,536,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yansky View Post
Thank you all for the feedback ... the house im interested in is close to the South Bay Country Club, near Waukena Ave ... starting to think this isn't the area i want to be in.

We were initially looking in Five Towns, but the taxes and overall quality of homes for the price (gut jobs) scared me off ... the taxes here were a lot more manageable.
If you like the Five Towns, what about Lynbrook, or the section of East Rockaway zoned for Lynbrook schools or the Gibson section of Valley Stream zoned for Hewlett schools? There are some parts of East Rockaway in particular that have a quiet wooded vibe like the nicer parts of the Five Towns, without the abhorrent mega mansions that are popping up in the exclusive sections.

Old 10-24-2016, 01:41 PM

5 posts, read 14,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
If you like the Five Towns, what about Lynbrook, or the section of East Rockaway zoned for Lynbrook schools or the Gibson section of Valley Stream zoned for Hewlett schools? There are some parts of East Rockaway in particular that have a quiet wooded vibe like the nicer parts of the Five Towns, without the abhorrent mega mansions that are popping up in the exclusive sections.
I'd do some research on Gibson. Thank you

Old 10-24-2016, 01:45 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,783,876 times
Quote:

No, you don't want to live there. I used to drive around that area all the time when we lived in BH and briefly when I worked for a small law office in O'side. That area is a huge flood zone - the local traffic congestion downright stinks - Waukena is a big "cut-through" street - with lots of activity during the day due proximity to businesses on Long Beach Road and Sands Shopping Center. Its not an area I would want to be in. When we looked at houses in Oceanside, we narrowed our areas to homes only in the north area of Foxhurst Road closer to Merrick Road.

Old 10-24-2016, 03:10 PM

20,023 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Waukena is a horror show. Can take 1/2 hour to go from Oceanside road to Brower/Atlantic at certain times of the day.

Old 10-24-2016, 04:09 PM

694 posts, read 1,202,868 times
Quote:

I live in Oceanside close to the South Bay Country club and while Waukena does tend to get congested at certain times such as school drop-off/pick-up, other times, it's fine, and half an hour delay is an exaggeration. The main concern, though, is with flooding-the house to the right of Waukena if you are going on it to Baldwin have taken a hit for sure, the houses on the left side, closer to high school, I believe, were fine. The northern part of the town definitely fared well during Sandy, but even this part did not have electricity for two weeks unlike RVC which has its own utility company and had lights on.

It's not a top school district like Jericho or Great Neck, but I think this is solely because if you drive on Jericho Turnpike, every other building is Chinese tutoring center. Oceanside does not have that-kids do well, there are kids who take all the AP's in schools there are to take and these kids get into Ivy League and what's known as "small Ivy", colleges such as Amherst and also, other top tier universities such as Boston U, NYU, Emory. There are also kids who just get by and take smoking weed breaks outside of the school and there are kids who are somewhat in the middle-strong academically, but not type A personality, they normally end up in strong state schools such as SUNY Binghamton. I have three kids in the school system, the elementary level is great, the middle level is more of a hit than miss and HS is a mix of hit and miss, some teachers are awesome, and some are awful. My daughter has an awful geometry teacher this year so we had to hire a private tutor because going for extra help to this teacher would not really help. Last year, my son who has historically been above 90 in math got a horrible precalc teacher and his grades plummeted to 70's, again, we had to hire the same tutor and she brought his back to high 80's.

PM if you have more questions.

Old 10-24-2016, 04:16 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,756,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Waukena is a horror show. Can take 1/2 hour to go from Oceanside road to Brower/Atlantic at certain times of the day.
that's an exaggeration, and even it was true, it doesn't really affect productive members of society who are at work during those "certain times" of the day.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:28 PM

20,023 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Ok tell that to the guy that drove that road every day for years, 3 or 4 times a day, sometimes more. Not an exaggeration.
1/2 hour on the worst days. Mostly thanks to the school.
All day every day? No.

Old 10-25-2016, 03:09 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,952,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babysladkaya View Post
It's not a top school district like Jericho or Great Neck, but I think this is solely because if you drive on Jericho Turnpike, every other building is Chinese tutoring center. Oceanside does not have that-kids do well, there are kids who take all the AP's in schools there are to take and these kids get into Ivy League and what's known as "small Ivy", colleges such as Amherst and also, other top tier universities such as Boston U, NYU, Emory. There are also kids who just get by and take smoking weed breaks outside of the school and there are kids who are somewhat in the middle-strong academically, but not type A personality, they normally end up in strong state schools such as SUNY Binghamton. I have three kids in the school system, the elementary level is great, the middle level is more of a hit than miss and HS is a mix of hit and miss, some teachers are awesome, and some are awful. My daughter has an awful geometry teacher this year so we had to hire a private tutor because going for extra help to this teacher would not really help. Last year, my son who has historically been above 90 in math got a horrible precalc teacher and his grades plummeted to 70's, again, we had to hire the same tutor and she brought his back to high 80's.
I'd place Oceanside School District at 'below average' for Nassau County. The rankings (in general) tend to support this view. It does not seem to be trending upwards.

There is definitely a mix of high, medium, and low achieving students in the district. There is a similarly varied mix in teacher and administrator quality in the district. District leadership is an open question.

I certainly would not put it at the very bottom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island