Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 12:39 PM

694 posts, read 1,202,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
I'd place Oceanside School District at 'below average' for Nassau County. The rankings (in general) tend to support this view. It does not seem to be trending upwards.

There is definitely a mix of high, medium, and low achieving students in the district. There is a similarly varied mix in teacher and administrator quality in the district. District leadership is an open question.

I certainly would not put it at the very bottom.
I think 20-25 years ago, this district used to be one of the best, at least, that's how I remember it because in 1994, before Internet was a thing, my brother was ready to move his family to suburbs and when they researched town, they looked at some statistics in a newspaper which had number of Nassau country students who made it to Ivy League Schools, half of them were from Oceanside. I have two kids who have gone through both elementary and middle school and are now in high school. I also have a kid who is in the elementary right now. The elementary level is absolutely awesome. The middle school for the most part was great, my son had one teacher that was awful and my daughter had two fantastic teachers, one strong teacher but personality left a lot to be desired and one teacher who was so-so. What I do like about Oceanside is there is an equal focus on academics/arts/athletics, so something for everyone-there are certain districts where athletics are #1 and kids who are not into it tend to be viewed as nerds if smart, or weirdoes if artsy, not the case with Oceanside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 05:57 PM

20,023 posts, read 20,831,761 times
The schools. Nevermind. They're not Roosevelt or Wyandanch so go ahead and move in if you feel like it. I was about to make a long winded post about the schools but changed my mind.
Keep an eye on your kids and stay on top of the teachers and things will be great.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:16 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,512,501 times
My wife and I are under contract on a home in Oceanside and are looking forward to moving in. We have an infant, so we won't need the schools right away, but from what I gather, the elementary and middle schools are top notch, while the high school is a bit more hit or miss.

Taxes are reasonable. Could be better, could be worse.

If you drive a lot, it can be a pain. From our future house, it's almost 20 minutes just to get to the Southern State.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:34 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,536,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
I'd place Oceanside School District at 'below average' for Nassau County. The rankings (in general) tend to support this view. It does not seem to be trending upwards.

There is definitely a mix of high, medium, and low achieving students in the district. There is a similarly varied mix in teacher and administrator quality in the district. District leadership is an open question.

Below average seems harsh. I think it's at least average. When I think "below average" (which i agree is far from "bad") I think Lawrence, Malverne, Baldwin, East Rockaway, maybe Elmont, maybe Hicksville, maybe Farmingdale. (Of course, outside of Long Island, these schools may even rate above average).

What would you consider average if not Oceanside? Genuinely curious.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:36 PM

5,046 posts, read 3,952,175 times
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
Below average seems harsh. I think it's at least average. When I think "below average" (which i agree is far from "bad") I think Lawrence, Malverne, Baldwin, East Rockaway, maybe Elmont, maybe Hicksville, maybe Farmingdale. (Of course, outside of Long Island, these schools may even rate above average).

What would you consider average if not Oceanside? Genuinely curious.

I'm thinking an average group of Plainedge, Massapequa, Locust Valley, Bethpage, Carle Place, Wantagh, Lynbrook, Bellmore Merrick, etc.

I'd put Oceanside just below that group, but again, it is certainly not in what I would consider the bottom 10 schools in Nassau.

If you want to group Oceanside at the bottom of that average Nassau group - or even within that average group I wouldn't quibble. If you want to say Oceanside is close to Hicksville in performance/reputation I certainly can't argue with that either.

10 years ago Oceanside had a somewhat different reputation and 20 years ago a completely different reputation.

Here is where Oceanside stands in the current LI SAT rankings: Long Island School Districts Ranked by SAT Scores - Huntington, NY Patch

(of course there are a huge variety of ratings and rankings out there, this is the one I have near at hand as I posted it above on this thread).

Old 10-26-2016, 12:57 PM

428 posts, read 969,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munse View Post
I’ve lived in Oceanside for over 20 years and couldn’t be happier. I have 3 kids that went through the Oceanside school district, which I have absolutely no complaints about. My kids are all AP students, well prepared for the colleges they went to.

It’s an outstanding community, in which I have developed lifelong friends. As in any place you live, you get out of it what you put into it.

For some reason, others on this board consistently trash Oceanside. Negative comments from HotKarl in 3.. 2.. 1..

Also, Joe’s Crab Shack closed.
wow! Did it? It just opened. Crazy. Haven't been there in a few months - that area is nice for shopping.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:40 PM

20,023 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Joe's opened in 2011 so it had a decent run.
Lots of controversy over that place.

Old 10-27-2016, 04:31 AM

4 posts, read 4,734 times
I was also looking for the same. Thanks for this detail.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:38 AM

633 posts, read 581,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babysladkaya View Post
I live in Oceanside close to the South Bay Country club and while Waukena does tend to get congested at certain times such as school drop-off/pick-up, other times, it's fine, and half an hour delay is an exaggeration. The main concern, though, is with flooding-the house to the right of Waukena if you are going on it to Baldwin have taken a hit for sure, the houses on the left side, closer to high school, I believe, were fine. The northern part of the town definitely fared well during Sandy, but even this part did not have electricity for two weeks unlike RVC which has its own utility company and had lights on.

It's not a top school district like Jericho or Great Neck, but I think this is solely because if you drive on Jericho Turnpike, every other building is Chinese tutoring center. Oceanside does not have that-kids do well, there are kids who take all the AP's in schools there are to take and these kids get into Ivy League and what's known as "small Ivy", colleges such as Amherst and also, other top tier universities such as Boston U, NYU, Emory. There are also kids who just get by and take smoking weed breaks outside of the school and there are kids who are somewhat in the middle-strong academically, but not type A personality, they normally end up in strong state schools such as SUNY Binghamton. I have three kids in the school system, the elementary level is great, the middle level is more of a hit than miss and HS is a mix of hit and miss, some teachers are awesome, and some are awful. My daughter has an awful geometry teacher this year so we had to hire a private tutor because going for extra help to this teacher would not really help. Last year, my son who has historically been above 90 in math got a horrible precalc teacher and his grades plummeted to 70's, again, we had to hire the same tutor and she brought his back to high 80's.

PM if you have more questions.
Neither Jericho or Great Neck has DJIA CEO among them. The current CEO of Disney, Bob Iger went to Oceanside High School. He credits the education he got in Oceanside with his success.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:42 AM

633 posts, read 581,360 times
SAT rankings are a fairly meaningless stat to judge a HS. First it is more a test based on your potential not what you have learned. The ACT test which is becoming more popular is more based on what you have learned in school. More knowledge based.

Also Great Neck and Jericho are wealthy and kids take tons of SAT classes and hire SAT private SAT tutors to inflate scores which has nothing to do with quality of schools.

PSATs might even be a better measure, as many kids take them cold without private tutors and classes. SATs are more a measure of wealth than the school itself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island