Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 01:09 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,272,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyinmiami View Post
If you're one of those like me, who prefer to stop and sleep one night halfway through, I always like to stay in Rocky Mount, NC. There's a really nice and very quiet Holiday Inn that I like to stay at when in Rocky Mount.
Always was my target. If I got caught up in traffic sometimes I stopped in Emporia VA but you have to watch out for the police there - very aggressive with ticketing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 08:57 AM

68 posts, read 199,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
For those who've made the drive, I think we can all agree on one thing...getting through NC suuuuuucks.
I never had a problem with NC traffic. Are you referring to those cheesy South of The Border billboards?

Old 06-29-2017, 09:11 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,227,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trolling For Dollars View Post
I never had a problem with NC traffic. Are you referring to those cheesy South of The Border billboards?
No, I actually enjoy those. NC just seems to go on forever.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:46 PM

308 posts, read 446,607 times
I'll be doing this drive next weekend. We leave LI about 5:30 AM on Saturday, and usually we are past DC between noon and 1:00. We spend the night in Walterboro, SC. About 50 miles from Georgia. Back on the road around 7:30 Sunday morning, and reach our destination in Panama City by 2:00 EST.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:15 PM

406 posts, read 625,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baj View Post
We are driving to FL from Long Island next week. What is the best way to get thru Washington, DC? Is best to stay on I-95 or go around downtown DC?
Since you asked about Wash DC, I am assuming you are already familiar with the traffic patterns on LI and NYC highways. There were a lot of options of alternate roads with suggestions for various apps to monitor the traffic congestion. My suggestion is to leave after 9pm from Mon-Thurs or at 5-6am on Sat or Sun. The first option gets into the DC area after midnight and the other between 9-10am on a weekend morning. Both departure times from LI should have you cruising right through DC while remaining on 95. This assumes you are not leaving from the eastern end of Long Island.

Now, if you want to save some money on tolls, I would take the Williamsburg Bridge into Manhattan and then through the Holland Tunnel. Once in NJ, follow Route 1 south (a little past Princeton) to 95 South towards Philadelphia. This route takes you through the heart of Philly (so the departure times I suggested are important). This is not a toll free route mind you, but it will save a few dollars and yes the offset is that it will take a little longer.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:27 AM

22,681 posts, read 36,841,007 times
Use google maps...they will give you the fastest route at the time you are driving, period. And trust them...sometimes the routes seem a little crazy but it works.

Also, when we drove up to Long Island in early June, we saw 5 sets of Maryland state troopers over a 15 miles area just north of the bridge in Havre de Grace. They weren't trying to hide either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island