Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 02:50 PM

25 posts, read 31,659 times

Advertisements

You also have the option of taking the Auto train. I have not done it but you get it in DC and it takes you to right outside Orlando.

Auto Train Transports You and Your Car - Lorton, VA - Sanford, FL | Amtrak
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 02:55 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,193,806 times
As others said go through Baltimore/DC between 10 and 2. Take the alternate route around Richmond. We had been taking 95, and last time coming up there was construction on 95 so we took the alternate to go around Richmond (I think it's 895- but not sure) and it was scenic, little traffic, easier driving and not much different time wise.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:15 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,211,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
I leave at 7 at night. Take 95 straight down and avoid everything.
I have done this so many times!

It does backfire sometimes as there is constant nighttime construction as well with detours. Maybe not as bad as the regular horrible Baltimore/DC traffic but at night in the dark it did get problematic a few times as everything is closed if you develop a problem.

Also where in Florida? West Coast or East Coast? If east coast I-95 is best option.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:20 PM

You can try the crazy route that we did one time but that was also because we wanted to spend a day in Va. Beach.

After Jersey Tpke instead of heading to I-95 you can take Route 13 south then when get to Norfolk area hop on I -64 west towards Richmond then hop on 95 for rest of trip. Might sound crazy but if you have the time it is nice. Love Chesapeake Bay Bridge/tunnel.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:35 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,057,288 times
There are several places where you can use spurs or loops off of I-95 to bypass certain cities. It would be useful to tell the OP and others reading this thread which ones to use and which ones to avoid.

This is all based on looking at a map and not based on any real experience:

In NJ, I assume you would want to take the NJ Turnpike all the way down (which is not I-95 south of Exit 6) and then take the Delaware Memorial Bridge (I-295 South) back to I-95 south in Delaware.

In Maryland, you have at least 4 ways to get through or around Baltimore:
I-95 South through the Fort McHenry Tunnel
I-895 South through the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel
Bypass Baltimore using the eastern half of I-695 over the Francis Scott Key Bridge
Bypass Baltimore using the western half of I-695

Which of those is best for the OP and others?

Next, between Baltimore and Washington, you can use either I-95, or the Baltimore-Washington Parkway (MD 295). Which is better for the OP and others?

In the Washington area, you have at least 4 options:
Continue with I-95 South over the eastern half of the Beltway, over the Woodrow Wilson Bridge
Take I-495 over the western half of the Beltway
Take MD 295 / DC 295 / I-295 through Washington, then take I-95 over the Woodrow Wilson Bridge
Take MD 295 / DC 295 to I-695 to I-395 to I-95 South in Virginia

Which of those is best for the OP and for others? There are also other routes involving surface streets and I-395, but I seriously doubt any of those are the best for the general traveler.

In Virginia, you can either take I-95 South through Richmond, or bypass Richmond using I-295. Which is better for the OP and for others?

I-95 looks straightforward through North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia.

In Florida, there are at least 3 ways to get through or around Jacksonville:
I-95 South through
Jacksonville
Bypass Jacksonville using the western half of I-295
Bypass Jacksonville using the eastern half of I-295

Again, which is the best for the OP and for others?

Old 02-04-2015, 03:04 PM

No matter what route OP tries around Baltimore & DC will not really matter. Have family there traffic is horrible even on the the alternative routes. Used to go there at least 12 times a year. So different than driving on LI.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:28 PM

19 posts, read 41,062 times
No matter what route you chose, I highly recommend using Waze as your gps app; it comes in really handy for changing traffic conditions, especially around metropolitan areas and avoiding speed traps (for those who need it)

Old 02-05-2015, 10:02 AM

6,385 posts, read 13,169,132 times
Why drive when you can fly out of Islip and be there in 2 hours?

Old 02-05-2015, 10:19 AM

19,259 posts, read 17,124,258 times
OP there are 47 ways to get from point a to point b. Leaving on the weekend or during the night works great but if that isn't an option I would suggest you leave LI once you know the traffic has passed your goal is to hit DC/Baltimore by late morning/early afternoon. At Baltimore choose I 895 and take the Harbor Tunnel vice 95 which always gets the bulk of the traffic. Ironically they both start from the same location on the north side they just come out differently on the south side.

Once through the tunnel I take the exit for the Baltimore Washington Parkway, this gives me an hours break from the truck traffic. When you hit the DC beltway you can get on it or stay on the parkway which turns into I295 through the east side of DC then re-merges just before the bridge into VA, it shaves some time off.

Cross the Potomac, Welcome to Virginia, follow you signs and hope that the traffic is moving. At this point trying to take the back goat trails is not worth it in my book.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:55 PM

5,531 posts, read 7,123,271 times
What speed limits can you reach up to without being pulled over in the states that you drive through?

Just curious...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island