Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 03:03 PM

25 posts, read 31,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
What speed limits can you reach up to without being pulled over in the states that you drive through?

Just curious...
Depends on the cop and who is in the car.

A woman with kids in a minivan even with NY/NJ plates prob wont get stopped for 8-10 over the limit.

A single man in a nicer car? Maybe.

Anyone with NY/NJ plates is MUCH more susceptible the getting stopped IMHO.

I always stay with traffic in southern states with NY plates. They don't love the Yankees down there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 08:21 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,871,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
For those who've made the drive, I think we can all agree on one thing...getting through NC suuuuuucks.
Yes it does. But when you reach that South Carolina border, Pedro makes it all worth it!

South Of The Border ~ America’s Favorite Highway Oasis

Old 02-06-2015, 08:24 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,871,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailRNY View Post
You also have the option of taking the Auto train. I have not done it but you get it in DC and it takes you to right outside Orlando.

Auto Train Transports You and Your Car - Lorton, VA - Sanford, FL | Amtrak
I've done it twice and it's wonderful!! But you really have to reserve at least 6 months in advance to get reasonable rates. If you try and book a month before you leave you will pay through the nose.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:31 AM

2 posts, read 3,609 times
Just got an alternate route from NY/NJ area to Florida, on a GPS app. It seems like a reasonable alternative to I-95 for a big part of the trip. It's all connected interstates... starting in NJ: 78 West to 81 South to 64 West to 81 South to 77 South to 26 East to 95 South just outside of Charleston. From there, continue on 95 South as usual for the rest of the trip to Florida. According to the GPS it adds 90 miles and 1hr/4minutes to the trip. I assume it's only an hour due to faster average driving by avoiding the typical bottle necks of Baltimore, DC and Richmond. Could be a good idea for anyone who can't travel off hours or on weekends. I've not done it myself yet but it's good to know. You can see it all on a map if you're interested.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:19 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,041,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Paul View Post
Just got an alternate route from NY/NJ area to Florida, on a GPS app. It seems like a reasonable alternative to I-95 for a big part of the trip. It's all connected interstates... starting in NJ: 78 West to 81 South to 64 West to 81 South to 77 South to 26 East to 95 South just outside of Charleston. From there, continue on 95 South as usual for the rest of the trip to Florida. According to the GPS it adds 90 miles and 1hr/4minutes to the trip. I assume it's only an hour due to faster average driving by avoiding the typical bottle necks of Baltimore, DC and Richmond. Could be a good idea for anyone who can't travel off hours or on weekends. I've not done it myself yet but it's good to know. You can see it all on a map if you're interested.
I posted that route earlier, it's the only way I go now when I head south.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:47 AM

703 posts, read 1,175,166 times
Have you considered taking Amtrak's auto train from Lorton, VA to Sanford, FL?

Old 05-27-2017, 01:35 PM

74 posts, read 120,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
There are several places where you can use spurs or loops off of I-95 to bypass certain cities. It would be useful to tell the OP and others reading this thread which ones to use and which ones to avoid.

This is all based on looking at a map and not based on any real experience:

In NJ, I assume you would want to take the NJ Turnpike all the way down (which is not I-95 south of Exit 6) and then take the Delaware Memorial Bridge (I-295 South) back to I-95 south in Delaware.

In Maryland, you have at least 4 ways to get through or around Baltimore:
I-95 South through the Fort McHenry Tunnel
I-895 South through the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel
Bypass Baltimore using the eastern half of I-695 over the Francis Scott Key Bridge
Bypass Baltimore using the western half of I-695

Which of those is best for the OP and others?

Next, between Baltimore and Washington, you can use either I-95, or the Baltimore-Washington Parkway (MD 295). Which is better for the OP and others?

In the Washington area, you have at least 4 options:
Continue with I-95 South over the eastern half of the Beltway, over the Woodrow Wilson Bridge
Take I-495 over the western half of the Beltway
Take MD 295 / DC 295 / I-295 through Washington, then take I-95 over the Woodrow Wilson Bridge
Take MD 295 / DC 295 to I-695 to I-395 to I-95 South in Virginia

Which of those is best for the OP and for others? There are also other routes involving surface streets and I-395, but I seriously doubt any of those are the best for the general traveler.

In Virginia, you can either take I-95 South through Richmond, or bypass Richmond using I-295. Which is better for the OP and for others?

I-95 looks straightforward through North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia.

In Florida, there are at least 3 ways to get through or around Jacksonville:
I-95 South through
Jacksonville
Bypass Jacksonville using the western half of I-295
Bypass Jacksonville using the eastern half of I-295

Again, which is the best for the OP and for others?
You know, starting in August 2018, there will be another route through the Philly area as if you go on Exit 6 of the NJTP, you cross into Pennsylvania, and you're on the PA Turnpike, and at the date I mentioned above, two flyover ramps from WB Turnpike to SB 95 and from NB 95 to EB Turnpike will be complete. Which way will you all go, once those ramps open up?

Also, being a road highway enthusiast, I'm someone that likes to remain on 95 through Baltimore/DC, in other words, take 95 through Fort Mchenry in Baltimore, remain on 95 between the beltways, then follow 95 along the eastern half of the Capital Beltway. But, my father is an avid Waze user, and Waze has it where you go on 895 to the BW Parkway, to DC 295, to 695, to 395. To make matters worse, even when the downtown DC highways are backed up, Waze still has you go that way. With a possible road trip to St. Augustine, FL this summer in the works, I'm worried that my father's going to listen to Waze over me.

For those of you that used Waze through that area, did it have you take the route I mentioned above?

Old 05-27-2017, 04:52 PM

22,681 posts, read 36,841,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasNewsch View Post
You know, starting in August 2018, there will be another route through the Philly area as if you go on Exit 6 of the NJTP, you cross into Pennsylvania, and you're on the PA Turnpike, and at the date I mentioned above, two flyover ramps from WB Turnpike to SB 95 and from NB 95 to EB Turnpike will be complete. Which way will you all go, once those ramps open up?

Also, being a road highway enthusiast, I'm someone that likes to remain on 95 through Baltimore/DC, in other words, take 95 through Fort Mchenry in Baltimore, remain on 95 between the beltways, then follow 95 along the eastern half of the Capital Beltway. But, my father is an avid Waze user, and Waze has it where you go on 895 to the BW Parkway, to DC 295, to 695, to 395. To make matters worse, even when the downtown DC highways are backed up, Waze still has you go that way. With a possible road trip to St. Augustine, FL this summer in the works, I'm worried that my father's going to listen to Waze over me.

For those of you that used Waze through that area, did it have you take the route I mentioned above?
Our GPS always takes us on 295....we prefer (like you) to head east on the Beltway....but my husband will occasionally go out 66 and take 29 from there south through VA.

Old 05-27-2017, 05:02 PM

20,093 posts, read 20,903,532 times
Nice drive once you are out of NY/NJ.
Do it all the time. 95 til you're blue in the face.
Don't speed. Just don't. The speed limits for the most part are good enough.
That hideous orange plate on the back of your car is a bullseye.

Old 05-27-2017, 05:05 PM

5,295 posts, read 4,780,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Nice drive once you are out of NY/NJ.
Do it all the time. 95 til you're blue in the face.
Don't speed. Just don't. The speed limits for the most part are good enough.
That hideous orange plate on the back of your car is a bullseye.
I loathe that drive. I vowed never again years ago. I only fly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island